On Target Miniatures - foal updates December 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Oh I am so looking forward to this adventure together. This year is going to be even better cos Toffee and I had a chat and she is going to lay down to foal this year
default_472.gif

Welcome back girls
default_cheekkiss.gif

Vet has his next check-up on Tuesday, but so far he is doing well. He was over here in late Feb for the 9 month Pneumabort shots that his wife did and she is coming back for the pre-foaling shots on March 19 so I should see him then. Yes, we are hoping the mares hold off until he is healed, or better yet, that we don't need him for the foaling.

OMG I cant believe a yr has gone round and your ladies are back on camera.

I cant promise to be around for a lot of marestaring but if I can help (most likely over the easter break) I will.

Bring on those healthy gorgeous babies

When I click on the link below your name, it says the account is frozen and doesn't show the camera. I'm I the only one getting this?

Glad I checked in here - there seems to be a problem somewhere, and it might be this computer. I cannot even get onto the Mare Stare site, although my hubby across the room can. Thanks for the heads up - we will try to get the cams back ASAP.

BTW, cam 2 shows the stall where the 2 geldings currently sleep. We will be adjusting cam 1 later today because we realized that Sox can hide in the corner and not be seen at all!

Not sure what the problem was but we shut everything down and restarted and the cam seems to be up again.

The mares don't hit 300 days until next week (3/20 for Toffee and 3/23 for Dancer) so the cams are up a bit early. Udders are starting to make the tiniest changes and as soon as the weather warms up and stays warm (which is not this week, I am sorry to say) we will clip bellies, move mares around and start to take more pictures. They are scheduled to get their pre-foaling shots next week. In the meantime, there is lots of activity late afternoons on Monday & Thursday when the 4-Hers are here. Lots of grooming and harnessing as Sox, Mira, Rusty (Sox's 2010 colt now gelded) and Taffy (Toffee's 2010 filly) are getting driving and jumping training. All except Mira should be ready to hook to the cart soon.

ok cool thanks
default_smile.png
hope they all go well I'm sure they will! you guys do such an amazing job with yor mini's and the kids that you help
default_smile.png

Cams were all adjusted a bit today so we hope no one can hide in a corner now. Dust is still an issue but I dusted today!! I will start leaving the lights on at night to get the horses used to them and for anyone who might be watching.

My Vet had his check-up this week, and because of his age (same age as me!) and the leg not healing 100%, he will have the cast on for another month!!! That would put both mares at about 320 days. He will be getting out and about more and I expect to see him Tuesday for the pre-foaling and spring shots. Udder progress is very slow - which is fine under the circumstances - but steady. Cold weather for at least the next week (lucky if we hit 40F) so I may hold off clipping udders, or I may do them tomorrow when the 4-Hers are here. It usually stimulates foal kicking! Could be on cam in the PM. Also, Clyde is scheduled for gelding on Thursday AM and that could be done in a stall, or more likely outside.

aww little Clyde is getting the deed done lol poor baby... hope all goes well with his little operation
default_smile.png

sorry to hear your vet will be out longer then expected hoping he heals very shortly
default_smile.png

slow progress is better then nothing. lol I'm sure the girls will get busy for you soon.

I did some belly clipping today - but not too much because it is very cold here with another snowstorm tonight - and took udder photos for later comparison. Both mares will hit 300 days this week and in past years we have had foals at 299 & 303 days with full udders. Things seem to be slow this year or maybe they are waiting for Peter's leg to heal.

Pics from today: Dancer (spots) and Toffee (bay, bad clip job):

P1080309.JPG

P1080311.JPG

both have a little something happening there
default_smile.png
they are just saying its too cold for their precious little babies to come out and play just yet... and they are waiting for Peter to heal
default_smile.png

I think they love Peter and are just waiting for him and some warmer weather! They are looking good Mary!
And all this is fine with me! More snow last night, so shots will be done tomorrow instead of today. And it looks like gelding will be done in one of the foaling stalls rather than outdoors. We plan to turn the cam off for that but might forget!

Just FYI, we moved Dancer into the foaling stall (nights only) because she seems to be getting too big for her regular stall! She is in this stall days so should be used to it anyway. Dancer's udder looks like it is making progress but should still have a long ways to go. She & Toffee got their pre-foaling shots today and Peter is able to get around pretty well with a boot and cane, but his wife did the actual shots. The gelding is scheduled for 9:30 AM tomorrow with another vet (female), and will be done in one of the foaling stalls. Cams could be off if the vet prefers.

******************************************************************************* Asking a favor for tonight Wed 3/20 *******************

Dancer is not quite at 300 days but she got her pre-foaling shots today and her stall is now full of "cow piles". I put the alarm on her because we have had mares foal - with and without bad outcomes - under similar circumstances, although with much larger udders. But Dancer is a maiden and very precious to us, so I will be up watching tonight and will appreciate any other eyes. She is on the lower left cam, all alone in the stall. It could be a reaction to the shots or moving to a new stall, or it could be something else.....

Thank you!!

cam link: http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=ontarget

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back