PlayTime Minis - Finished for 2013; See you in 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I'll do the pictures you suggested tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

How tall is she? The little ones like around 30"s seem to look like they are going to explode! Take pics from the rear, if she is still lopsided you have a ways to go, these little ones don't slab side out they just get an even belly. Your best indicator is her bag, if it is full in the am and still full and tight in the pm she is close. There are alot of indicators of going into first stage labor and shaping up, but some mini mares don't follow the rules. Write all of your observences down. Bring her up to the foaling area around day 285 or so to get her acclimated to the area and the bacteria. Check her twice a day and start your foal watch around day 300, I've had mares foal around day 305 and yet some go to day 355, each mare is different. Ask as many questions, post as many pictures, as possable, we are all here for you and your little mare.

She's 31". I'll do more pictures today but if I don't go on foal watch until day 300 then she has another 3 weeks to go before then. She just looks so huge to me but maybe because she's had foals before?

My little 31.50" mare always looks like she needs a skateboard under her belly to help her along, bless her heart she barely fits through the stall doors right now as it is LOL. My fiance has affectionately nicknamed her Duckie because....well...she waddles
default_frusty.gif
It seems like it gets worse every year - the more foals she has the bigger her belly gets!

I think it she was ready to pop you would see her udder in the photo you took with her tail raised. And as I just learned this week, the is no substitute for FEELING the udder. In Toffee's pics I posted yesterday you can't really see any change in her udder, but I can FEEL it - small change, but there. Toffee is 330 days on April 20, for a reference point, but she is 34". Now our other mare that is due 3 days later is also 34" but a maiden and she is JUST starting to look pregnant.

Don't want to scare you, but just an FYI we had a mare foal on day 299 on Mare Stare but I didn't have the Equipage on because I was waiting until day 300 and the foal didn't get out of the sac. Vets said it looked full term. My vet is laid up now (broken leg) so I plan to set my cam up this weekend so if he can't get over here he can at least see what is going on.

I got sidetracked today by my new KuneKune piggies arriving but I did feel Sweetie's udder and it is very full. I'll take more pictures tomorrow for you. I also have Raven who is at 297 days and I need to do pictures of her for you as well. I felt her udder and it's also very full but I'm too much of a novice to judge this on my own so I'll get pictures tomorrow and thanks everyone. I so appreciate all your advice and comments. They are really helpful to me.

oh so now we need pics of the piggies too
default_yes.gif
I am looking forward to seeing how the girls look
default_thumbup.gif

If both your girls have udders that feel full to you, then I think they should both be housed in their foaling stalls as soon as possible. Apart from the fact (as it has already been said) that this will help them build up an immunity to their surroundings which they will ten pass on to their foals via the milk suppy, but you really dont want to chance them foaling outside at night (especially in the cold weather) in a dark paddock where you cant see to assist with the birth. But perhaps you already have them stalled?

The other advantage of stalling them overnight is that after a night in, their udders will feel more full first thing in the morning and then less full after a day outside. When the udder feels full and tight at the end of the daytime stint, then you are very close to them foaling. Of course this doesn't happen with all minis, but it does occur with a lot of them and can be a useful pointer regarding progress.
default_yes.gif

At a possible 297 days I would be watching Raven very closely, plus I dont think little Sweetie will wait until April before she foals. Some new pics would be great when you have a moment, please

Thanks everyone for your help. Both girls are stalled during the night. They are out during the day but I'm checking on them constantly.

Here's a photo of the piggies checking out my hay.

2013feb26thpiggies 014.JPG

Photos of the horses later today.

Not the best day for doing pictures due to a snowstorm and low light but here's two.

Sweetie from behind.

2013feb27thpiggies 004.JPG

Bag photo.

2013feb27thpiggies 003.JPG

Thanks, the piggies are lots of fun! Diane, we couldn't get out yesterday and I had the barn closed up. Looks like we'll be able to be out and about today and I'll do pictures against a light background. I'm so ready for the snow to go away and I'm sure the horses are too.

We have sun!!! Can't believe it because we almost never see it. Anyway, not the best pictures but I don't have her tied and every time I move, she moves. Mary did mention about not seeing her bag in last upraised tail photo but I can see it now. And a couple of days ago, the baby was sticking way out on the side and now I think it's dropped? I was told April 15th time frame for her but I'm thinking maybe earlier??

2013feb28thsweetie 002.JPG

2013feb28thsweetie 008.JPG

2013feb28thsweetie 009.JPG

2013feb28thsweetie 012.JPG

2013feb28thsweetie 010.JPG

default_thumbup.gif
she is making good progress
default_thumbup.gif
Thanks for the out door pics it makes such a difference.
default_yes.gif

Looks like great progress and I can see she is way ahead of our mares. I got a bit confused about which mare this is - not the smokey black but the blue roan, right? Are your mares going to be on camera?

If you haven't already, I urge everyone to check out the pinned thread with the educational videos posted at the top of this sub-forum. There are also still photos and a wonderful collage someone did showing the mare's progression from several angles, along with the dates in relation to foaling. Lots of great information!!!

This is Sweetie (Sweetwater's Commitment) the blue roan although at the moment she's looking bay in her winter woolies. We're in the land of dial up so unfortunately we won't be on camera. I sure wish we could be. I'll check out the videos. Thanks!

Thanks. Because I take so many photos for you of the ladies' private parts and bellies, I thought you'd like to see Raven out having a run. She's at day 300 and she can leave my not pregnant mare in the dust.
default_yes.gif

2013feb16thwinterhike 080-001.JPG

Latest posts

Back