CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a secure fenceline you could try teasing her, see if she shows to him at any point. Not fool proof as some mares LOVE to flirt even if bubs is about to arrive
default_new_rofl.gif

Looks like she's enjoying herself!

She looks great in your pictures, helped of course, by the fact that she is such an attractive mare! And yes, they do so enjoy time out on the grass dont they, quite apart from the fact that the 'greenery' is so good for expectant girls!
default_yes.gif

Boy she sure is a pretty girl thats for sure...I'd love to have one her color!!

I would certainly tease her with a stallion...just ....to see the reaction. In the photos IMO she doesnt look far enough along....she looks much to healthy fit and very pretty...especially the photo in the flowers. To me she looks drop dead beautiful gorgeous....just how I like to see the weight on my none preggers. If she is indeed pregnant her baby is going to be a doll baby Im sure....taking after his/her momma !! Pregnant or not ....she is a real pretty horse and I would love to see her in my barn
default_yes.gif
.......Im going to keep on hoping shes preggo for you!!

Thanks so much for the very kind words LittleRibbie (is that what I should call you?
default_smile.png
)

She is good! Her personality is nothing like any horse I have ever owned. She so wants to be sweet but will randomly pin her ears and give the evil eye. A week or 2 ago she out of no where bit myself and then my sister the following day. That behavior is not at all tolerable and it was corrected and has not happened since. She is a bit much to handle for my sister so I have been leading her to the paddock, she finds it fun to bolt and buck so until that is fixed I will have to lead/correct the small issue. Sometimes she is good about putting the halter on and sometimes she wants nothing to do with it. She is very funny because all she wants to do is be scratched and loved but only on her neck and withers. She is very weird about the right side of her face/neck at times, no clue why. She has a tantrum when you try to slowly rub backwards to her back or belly, she has even kicked out. So funny cause she really is my first "witchy" mare. Today I sat in the stall with her for awhile and she stood right with me. She "groomed" me while I scratched her. I know she doesn't want to be nervous of things cause she is definitely trying! So hard to tell because we have no idea what she knows and doesn't know from the past. She has definitely gained weight, she is much wider. She is huge from behind compared to when she first arrived, she kind of waddles at times. We can't figure out if thats because of good hay and grain or she's pregnant. Waiting to hear back from the vet about doing a blood test... Not sure how accurate it is but its worth the shot. She said she thinks she will be to tiny to palpate or ultrasound, but I am still waiting to hear back.

Personally what would each of you be feeding her if she were your mare? Maybe we are feeding her to much, which is why she is gaining weight? I have only ever maintained ponies and full size horses! Will try and get photos of her tomorrow!
default_smile.png

Thanks for the update, glad to hear she is doing so well. I think that time will help with her confidence and she will get less 'witchy' and more relaxed for you. Feed wise - this will depend upon the availability/quality of any grass and the time she spends outside grazing. If you can give us the details of her daily routine and the food you are already giving her, perhaps we can advise you of any changes needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Anna, although any of mine not in work are on grass supplemented with hay and loose supplement as needed. I only add hard feeding in for the work horses and the broodies who are up in the small paddocks to foal.

Was wondering if we could have some updates on Summer and your other furry friends - perhaps with some new pics?

Hope all is well.
default_yes.gif

Summer is doing wonderful! She has warmed up so much in such little time. She now whinnies very loudly when we come into the barn
default_smile.png
our vet came out yesterday for my colt Monaco and she took a peek at miss Summer and I was very shocked to find out she is in fact around 7 years old close to turning 8! We were told and only thought she was about 3. Our vet also said we could do a blood test but it would run to be about $200.... Not to sure were going to do it because I have heard of people testing it came back negative and 3 days later their mare had a foal. I think I will buy the wee-foal checker again. Summer has definitely gained weight and when we weight taped her she was roughly 298 lbs and she is almost exactly 34 inches tall. She is much rounder! (hard to tell in photos) I took a bunch on my camera and of course cannot find the USB to put them all on here so I can show all of you! I have a couple from my cell phone which are terrible but you get the idea. I am also going to attach a photo of the mini mule AJ, I have never met such a clown! Biggest personality ever. Miss chatting with all of you aunties!

summer.jpg

summer 1.jpg

summer 2.jpg

525002_347034992029114_151220844943864_885402_93259842_n.jpg

376895_4328854378476_547257502_n.jpg

She's looking lovely! Still not helping you out much though with that belly, oh well you'll know eventually
default_wink.png

Well I'm glad she's a bit older than you first thought - better for her and her coming baby! I wouldn't bother with a blood test either, she has a while to go yet (if she is in foal) and she's looking good so no need for 'special' feeding until it becomes more obvious that she is carrying - time will give you your answer.
default_yes.gif

And I just love your mini mule, he's just so cute!!

Thanks for the update - please keep posting them!

I just love your mare sooo much! and really happy to find out that she is older then we first thought... much much better
default_smile.png

I'm with the others... still can't tell from tummy lol but here's hoping
default_smile.png

Finally found the plug to upload all the photos! These are all from August 17th so I will get new ones today and post them tonight! She looks bigger to me, I will let you ladies be the judge!
default_smile.png

DSC_0599.JPG

DSC_0589.JPG

DSC_0573.JPG

DSC_0663.JPG

DSC_0711.jpg

DSC_0601.jpg

hmmm, definitley lopside in some of those pics...

have you felt any movement at all?

she is keeping us guessing thats for sure! lol

She hates her stomach being touched and I actually tried tonight for a bit but she got agitated... I didn't feel anything, so starting to think she's just fat!

I believe the broker told me that she was separated from the stud in May but they apparently came in together... Never know whats true and whats not with them.

Makes it so hard doesn't it!! At least you still have time
default_smile.png
I really hope she is in foal or you
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are photos from Summer this afternoon! We also introduced her to the little stud mule she pinned her ears and went to take a chunk. Today she was a little better but didn't seem to want anything to do with him, so sad cause all he wanted to do was be with her! He is the sweetest thing. Summer is doing great just slowly killing us all because we don't know if she is pregnant or not! I

DSC_0651.JPG

DSC_0583.JPG

DSC_0584.JPG

DSC_0676.JPG

DSC_0673.JPG

DSC_0665.JPG

DSC_0691.jpg

DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

DSC_0706.JPG

Ugh that just posted before I was done typing! I am ordering 2 more of the wee foal checkers today to see if we can give it another go! Any input is greatly appreciated! I did get my hand all the way under her belly to where the "edema" is and it felt hard which isn't what I was expecting and when I tried to touch her udder she kicked out several times... I am lucky I can even touch her tummy. Slowly but surely she will get better.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back