CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexischase

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am brand new to the mini horse world and just rescued my first. She is a dun mini mare about 3 or 4 years old, I have only had her a week! Anyways I was told that she was turned out with either a pinto shetland or a pinto miniature, possibly both at different times. I have asked a bunch of questions and they like to continue to tell me that they know nothing. I have no idea when she was exposed or for how long. So if she is pregnant I am assuming not very far along, but again I really have no clue. I did buy the wee foal checker, but haven't been able to catch her going yet. I am having my vet come out beginning of next week and until then thought it would be fun to hear thoughts on her photos. She does not at all like me touching her stomach, but that could be a sign of not a lot of handling. She is a dear little mare and I would love to see what she will produce if in fact in foal. I think this forum is wonderful along with all the great people and feedback! The photos are not the best, she hated that I was poking a camera under her! I will try to get better ones! Any input at all is greatly appreciated!

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0251.JPG

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0551.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0530.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome
default_smile.png

glad that you have joined us here, what a pretty little mare you have very sweet.

hmmm these little mini mares have been doing a good job at confusing us this year, well every year actually lol.

do you know if she has had any foals before? being so young I would hope not, but the edema in front of her udder is very interesting...

when was she out with the stallions?

the other lovely ladies will come on here and give you more advice, she is gorgeous, and a puzzle for sure
default_smile.png

Cassie

Hi and welcome to the Nutty Materity Unit - do you have a name as we cant keep calling you Lexischase?

You have a pretty little girl there and she could be in foal, judging by those milk glands. A lot of mare's 'glands' fill quite a long while before they get close to foaling or to actually forming an udder. Of course a lot of mares also have enlarged milk glands when they are over weight (mine do!), but as your little girl doesn't appear to be carrying any excess weight, I would say that her glands may well be the early sign that she is in foal.

Can you give us a few more datails about her daily 'programme' - time out, time in (if you do have her stalled at all) and her diet. Also can I just say, did I see the legs of a big horse in one of your pictures? Be very careful about mixing mini horses with big horses, one kick from a big horse can really cause damage to a mini, even fatal damage - even if they get on well, an accidental kick from a buck while racing around playing CAN happen.

Looking forward to more details of your sweet girl, and again welcome here and welcome to the wonderful world of mini horses.
default_yes.gif

It's possible but tricky to say either way at this stage of development. Additionally some tests may give incorrect results if used at the wrong time so make sure whatever test you have isn't a time sensitive one
default_smile.png

Are you sure she's a dun? Not seeing any charateristics in those body shots but love that star and stripe on her face! Very nice
default_smile.png

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of minis
default_saludando.gif
Your little girl is very cute
default_yes.gif
As Anna has advised try to get her out of the paddock with your big horse ESPECIALLY as she could be preggo. I enlarged the first pic and she looks very suspicious and then those pics of her enema, I would say that she needs a close eye on her. She looks very young, much closer to 3 than 4
default_yes.gif
Can you take some pics of her from the side down at her level with her standing square, one from standing behind her and one of her head just cos she is so cute
default_smile.png
then you can take the same pics in a week and we can compare to see how/if she is growing.

Welcome again
default_saludando.gif

Renee from Italy

Hi Again! Your are all so welcoming, its amazing! You can all call me Lexi! Cassie I am not positive if she has had a foal in the past, I really know nothing about her. I have another mini friend who is from Florida, and she thinks Summer has had a foal before by the looks of the photos. Anna she has a stall connected to a paddock at the quarantine barn and can go in and out as she pleases. I do not have much say at the quarantine barn unfortunately, I know she is fed a grassy hay. I would love suggestions on what to feed her before I consult my vet after the tests are all done.
default_yes.gif
Yes your right that is a horse in the photo.... Another arrived at the qt barn so they threw him in with Summer, I was devastated. I immediately requested that he be moved in with the other quarter horse, and if he is not moved this morning I am going to have to have my vet call and make the request.

Summer does have a dorsal stripe, just can't see it in these photos! If she is not a dun would she be considered a palomino?

Renee I completely agree on her being closer to if not 3 years old! If you had to guess how far along could she be looking the way she is? She has a belly underneath but she is not round or bulging out on her sides. Its killing me to not know!
default_frusty.gif

Thank you Diane! I am from Massachusetts, just outside of Boston. I am currently a college student, but ponies and horses are a huge part of my everyday life! I have a morgan gelding named Patrick, when I bought him he was a saddle seat show horse (english pleasure). I have since made him a hunt seat horse, he is the love of my life! I just rescued an off the track thoroughbred mare 3 months ago, her barn name is Pippa! She has a great pedigree, and the best personality! Just about 5 weeks ago I rescued a 1 and a half year old un-halter broke colt, his name is Monaco. He is absolutely lovely, but we still have a lot of work to do! The latest is of course little miss Summer, who has only been here a little over a week now! I also have 2 yorkies and a german shepherd who live at home with me! Theres a lot more to tell but I don't want to bore all of you ladies.

I would love to know about each of you! Since hopefully I will be on here a lot with updates and learning all there is to about the mini world! Crossing my fingers theres a baby in there!

Again, thank you all very much!

-Lexi

Well I am very happy to have all you ladies! Your all a huge help, and it is greatly appreciated! I have a short video clip of Summer, but exactly sure how to upload it. In the mean time I'll share my other ponies!

First 2 photos are of my Patrick! He is a once in a lifetime, I have no idea what I would ever do without him! He just turned 16 but he will forever act like a 4 year old!

The second headshot, and the field shot is my very first mare. She just turned 5! Her jockey club name is Thoughitwuzaboy but we call her Pippa. She is my very first rescue, and a very special girl! She was going to ship to slaughter because she was on the broker lot almost a month. She always seems to amaze me!

The big gray is my yearling - 2 year old. (not sure his exact age) I named him Monaco after a woman I met on Chincoteague Island. She is someone very special to me, and showed love and compassion to a complete stranger. When I met her she was fighting cancer, and she still is. Monaco has a huge red/brown heart on his bum, I don't believe its at all a coincidence! Monaco was wild and lived in a herd when I got him just 5 weeks ago. He has come along way, and still has a very long way to go. But I am happy the journey is ours to take together! He is an awesome toddler and I enjoy every second I'm with him!

Summer is actually my little sisters first horse! She sold all of her old american girl doll toys and had lemonade stands with one of her friends to raise the money to save Summer. My little sister is a complete mini me, and comes to each and every barn with me! The rescues I have been apart of in the past few months have been amazing! I network each week to get horses new homes, and have taken 4. Twizzler is a mare I helped a friend get and now she has an amazing home as well! Along with Monaco came 7 others that I got here! All were wild!

I kind of rambled for a bit, but love sharing my stories! I also love hearing all of your wonderful stories!

Love being apart of this "nutty nursery" already!

DSC_0553.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_0054.jpg

522586_324114960987784_151220844943864_839602_1312724363_n.jpg

165884_351777514888195_151220844943864_897439_1066837395_n.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

Oh thank you for the pictures Lexi - they are all beautiful horses and very very lucky to have found you.
default_yes.gif

I cant wait to see more pictures of Monaco when you have given him some of your special care and attention, bless him - and that is a wonderful story too.

I cant get the file on Summer to open, but just wanted to say that I really hope she is in foal for you. I agree with Renee in that she looks like a real youngster in the pictures posted so far, so even if she was 4 I dont think she will have had a foal before, certainly not if she is only three - but your vet should be able to age her for you. I wouldn't worry too much about the correct food for her until you get an answer from your vet's tests, after that we can help advise on a diet for her if she is indeed in foal. Just make sure she has plenty of access to sensible grazing, good quality hay and clean water, and she will be fine for a few weeks.

If she is in foal, then I dont think she is near foaling - maybe as far away as three months, so plenty of time to plan for things, but this could mean that you will have a young foal going into the winter months? But no need to worry about that yet! Where do you keep your other horses - just wondered why Summer was at a quarentine centre and not with your other furkids? I think it was brilliant of your little sister to do all that to raise the money to save Summer - give her a big hug from all of us please and say thank you!!

As Diane said, please read through the other threads here - and join in with the comments - and feel free to ask any questions that pop into your mind, your question might well bring forth a discussion from which we can all learn something new. But above all we are all here to share experiences, to make friends and to have fun while we wait for our mares to foal - sometimes it is a very long wait too LOL!!

Now there's a nice little dun stripe
default_thumbup.gif
She might even be hiding some leg barring under those white legs, lovely!

Agree with Anna, if she is you've got time on your hands so hopefully she'll give you some more concrete signs one way or the other before then.

My threads the Marlanoc foal thread, I've got 7 foals due this season and we've all got a lot of rambling to do before then
default_new_rofl.gif

Hi Ladies!

Cant believe I didn't think of this sooner... Ac4h took 2 videos of Summer one was on May 21 and here is the link

Let me know what you all think of her size compared to now! I will also make a youtube account tonight and upload my short clip of her trotting and whinnying in the paddock!

Can't say I think much of how she was being handled, but I think she has that soft "I will try" type nature and she seems to have a clean stride. Would love to see her moving loose without anyone on her head! I'm also guessing those markings could be hinting at splash, the clean 'stepped in paint' look of the stockings is way but that face looks so much like my Fantasy minus the blue eyes! I like her look
default_smile.png
I think you've found yourself a pretty little mare!

Belly size I don't think she is all that different and if she has had a foal before that could have something to do with the edema in front of her udder

Anna forgot to answer your question earlier! Summer is in quarantine because she came from a rescue, and in case she comes down with something we don't want all the others to get it. She gets to move with all my others next week
default_yes.gif

Here is the short clip I took of Summer!

Thanks so much Wings! What should I call you? I really like this little girl, she needs a lot of work, but it will be worth it!

Wings or Bree is fine, I answer to both of them
default_wink.png

I do like her! Do you have any plans for her?

She is definitely round underneath, just not round all around! Her shots from the back of the tail don't show anything sticking out, I am really hoping for a baby! She is very pretty and has a fancy trot! Cant see it from the video cause she's trotting towards us. I love her little face and she does have a pretty neck, the fancier the better for me since I have always had high stepping, hot morgans! She definitely has the look at me attitude and no doubt about it, she knows she's cute! We call her the princess pony! Unless I get any leads on her possibly being registered I was told I could probably hardship her? Not 100% sure how all that works since I have only ever just done the transfer of ownership on all my others. I would love to show minis! Wish it could be her, but most likely not since she is not registered. Plus I have no clue how she would be in the halter ring or even how she's put together, I am very new to the whole mini world!

I am calling my vet tomorrow morning... Any suggestions on what I should do? Ultrasound? Blood work? Wait? Would love to know what you all would do if she was yours!
default_smile.png

I'll let someone more in the know on American registries answer that part. You could always try her in harness as well
default_smile.png

The last mare I needed a "yes or no" answer for I did a blood test, but I knew within a month or two of her due date so we knew what test to use.

I agree with Bree - I also wish that people handling these ponies could be a little more sympathetic! But little Summer does have that sweet "I'll try to please you" look, bless her. I think you have got yourself a very nice little girl!
default_yes.gif

Regarding the quarentine, I did think that was the reason - very sensible of you, one can never be too careful. As for finding out something about her past - someone (was it Mary?) suggested checking with the vet who did her last coggins test could be the first step to looking into her past, so maybe this could be the way to go, veterinary records can very useful!

My red dun stallion goes more or less as light in body colour as Summer during the summer months and nearly as light in his mane and tail, although his dun 'stripe' is a little darker and he has no white markings. But I was looking at her legs and the darker area above her socks, could this mean that there is another colour hidden within her genes? I'm useless with colours, but I'm sure someone else will help.

But no matter what colour she is - all I can say is that she is a lovely mare and I think you are going to have great fun with her in the future!

Thank you all very much for complimenting little Summer! This morning I took a bunch of new photos... They are not the best since I took them on my phone, but I think she all of a sudden looks larger... So does my mom and sister! Its probably just me though! I also finally caught her peeing but the wee foal checker came out negative. The test I have is only good for 120 days being pregnant up until day 300. Is there a possibility she is under 120 days with her size? I highly doubt she could be over 300 days and not be larger. I will be very disappointed if she really isn't pregnant. I will just continue to
default_pray.gif
!

The photo of her drinking makes me really think theres something in there! The last photo she just wanted to say hi to all of the Aunties!

Anyways let me all know what you think of her size in the photos!

photo-5.jpg

photo-4.JPG

photo-3 2.JPG

photo-6.JPG

photo 2.jpg

photo-1 2.JPG

photo-2 2.jpg

Well I think your prayers might just be answered!! She does look as though she is 'bigger' in the right places. But I still dont think that she will be producing for a while yet - mind you maiden mares fool most of us most of the time. LOL!!

Take some more pics in a week's time or when you get her home - best to leave a little while between pics at this stage, as it is then easier to see if her shape has changed at all, rather than with daily pictures.

And say Hi to her from us Aunties!
default_yes.gif

I agree with Anna, as I think her shape is suspicious, wait a week and then we will compare pics. Remember that she is very young and any stallion could have covered her big or small so if she ends up empty it is probably for the best. Mini mares are well known for having all sorts of problems foaling and with maidens the risk is even higher, add on top you don't know how heavy bond the possible stallion is. If she does turn out preggo you will need to find a good vet as close as possible who is going to be able to get there as soon as she goes into labour wether it's day or night just in case. If she turns out empty then you and your sister can just enjoy her, maybe do some shows and give her time to mature and enjoy some peace and love. Lets just wait and see for
default_yes.gif

Tell her Aunty Renee form Italy says HI

Last edited by a moderator:
Back