Can pregnancy cause stifle lock symptoms??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind at all "I'm a goner".

Thanks everyone for their input. Since I first posted I've been searching google and looking at heaps of minis and think I know what you mean by 'straight in the leg'' now. Is it when the horse's buttock is further out than the point of hock and fetlock joint are when they stand straight? Like if you drew a line directly down from their butt to the ground their leg would fall inside the line and not touch it. Tell me if I'm wrong, kinda want to get it worked out lol. I've never had this problem before, I've had big horses previously but only got into minis recently and didn't know to look out for stifle lock candidates lol.

Maybe this would help explain it. I put this pic together, a long time ago, while trying to explain the same thing to someone in Gypsy Horses.

You can see the difference between a straight rear and a well angulated one.

Lizzie

rears.jpg

Great pic Lizzie!! Thanks for posting that for others to see so they can be aware. It's hard to explain with just words.

I have always heard that stifle lock is heriditary.

I have also heard that clicking joints are due to a copper deficiency. Maybe get your vet to do a blood test?

And you should study up on her pedigree, finding out if she has any relatives that also have stifle lock.

Good luck with your mare.

Just an update on my mare....

Stifle lock gradually got better and has now totally disappeared. She must have injured herself bolting around the paddock when i first brought her home.. Good news tho, cos i was worried about her.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Locking stifle can come and go, so I'm doubtful it was an injury.

I have to agree with disneyhorse again... stifle problems dont just disappear. They CAN go somewhat unnoticed most of the time when the horse has free roaming and a lot of room to play around in. But when confined or stalled, it is obvious. Your vet could do a soundness exam and that would probably tell you for sure. An injury would likely show in one leg, but but both tell me that it's a permanent problem. Also, I have had horses injured that limped, but have never seen one whose stifle actually locked. I would have a vet check done....

I have to agree with disneyhorse again... stifle problems dont just disappear. They CAN go somewhat unnoticed most of the time when the horse has free roaming and a lot of room to play around in. But when confined or stalled, it is obvious. Your vet could do a soundness exam and that would probably tell you for sure. An injury would likely show in one leg, but but both tell me that it's a permanent problem. Also, I have had horses injured that limped, but have never seen one whose stifle actually locked. I would have a vet check done....
Have got a vet coming out to to a check on my stallion, will get him to look her over as well. Do they do surgery on cases like hers or is more the severe ones they fix

Yes they can do surgery and the recovery time is very quick- it's a very simple thing. Have him do a soundness check and check for the upper fixation. Once she is fixed she wont continue to do that.

Generally if an injury suddenly causes the stifle to lock...you will know thr an injury has occurred. The first sign of an injured stifle probably isn't going to be the locking of that stifle. If the stifle is injured you are going to see marked lameness (actual lameness not locking up) and there will probably be heat and swelling in the stifle. The horse will hold the leg in a hock in/stifle out position. Even a severe stifle injury very often does not result in locking.

Generally if an injury suddenly causes the stifle to lock...you will know thr an injury has occurred. The first sign of an injured stifle probably isn't going to be the locking of that stifle. If the stifle is injured you are going to see marked lameness (actual lameness not locking up) and there will probably be heat and swelling in the stifle. The horse will hold the leg in a hock in/stifle out position. Even a severe stifle injury very often does not result in locking.
What about if it was over using muscles in the back end that haven't been used for a long time and weak? Thats the only thing I can think of that would've brought it on.

Back