Foaling Videos for use as a learning tool

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a video from Mandy's foaling 5/2/13...... The foal presented in normal position even with a normal position you can see still some help might be needed. The foal had his front legs crossed and his hips were out a bit just enough to stop the progress in the hip area so some front leg uncrossing and some pulling to the left and right unlodged the hip issue....also with manipulation of the head where it's the widest saved the mare from tearing, as you can see it was a tight fit......hope this video will shed some light even though the presentation of the foal was normal some human help was needed.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to thank all of you for such informative videos. I am a newcomer to Miniature Horses and Horses in General. I recently moved to the country (Central Valley California) and There are a few farms in town that have Mini horses. They are gorgoues. In the future I plan to buy property and a mini horse or two. These were awesome videos and Im so grateful. I want to let you know your passion, and compassion really inspires me to become a part of the Mini horse community.

I am a new member here. Thank you for having me. I have been in the horse world for 50 years, however in many different roles.... never a "breeder" before though. I have two minis. My female mini is pregnant. NOW WHAT???? I had my two minis together and my male's testicles had not descended so I didn't think he could impregnant my mare. 'WRONG! I guess they were more depended than I thought. I have a very pregnant mare now. By my calculations her last cycle was around the month of July'ish. Yes, I did not keep good books. I had to move barns, I am a boarder, I have 10 horses, divorce, ...... so, My record keeping was not what is should have been.
Now, my mare is very pregnant and seems to be doing well. My vet said to just wait and see. I live in Hawaii and we do not have many options for vets. I have asked her to do an ultrasound but she keeps saying no need. I have asked her about extra feed, more vitamins, .... basically I have been told just to be surprised and status quo. This is not my method as I like to be in the know.
My two minis are kept together and we are preparing to separate them, so she can foal safely.
My mare is about 4 years old, I have had her 2.5 years. Back in December 2018, she suffered from botulism and almost died. The male I had with her then actually did pass away. Since then she has been healthy and happy. I feed my minis Timothy pellets and Timothy hay.
I have gone through most of the boards and have lots of great information, but I would like some opinions on should I seek out another vet to ultrasound? Do I need to feed more? What should I be looking for? Is there any other way to calculate the due date since I am unsure on the breed date? Yikes... I know natures takes its course and all but this is scary now that it is getting closer.

Welcome to the forum.

If you can take some pictures and post them , it will give us an idea of when she is due. If you have a look through some of the foaling threads on here it will show you the angle of the pictures to take.

Take one from behind her looking at her rump , say 5 meters back from her. An udder picture would be great too. Maybe start your own thread in this section of the forum.

There is some really good threads on here at the top of the forum for what you should have in your foaling kit etc, what to look for if any issues as she is delivering etc

Can you get a mare and foal feed in hawaii ?

Welcome again and please dont stress, we will try and help you get this little one safely onto the ground. :)

Hello, I am also new. My story is almost identical to the Hawaii story. I had many people check the rescue mini; from vets to PRCA cowboys. Well, guess what! The mini was castrated on April 22nd. My lil mare mini seems to be pregnant. We can't get a decent vet out here during coronavirus to save our lives, so I'm on my own. If she is bred, then she would have been bred before April 20, 2019. Here are some pics. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I cannot lose this sweet mini. Please help this Texas Teacher. Thank you!!!

Sorry, here are pics. I'm new to this and to pregnant minis. I rescued all of them. I did not have any intentions of breeding them and am scared to death. Pregnant or not????? SOS, please!!!!

Attachments

• 20200328_104950.jpg
    20200328_104950.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200326_170428.jpg
    20200326_170428.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 5
I want to thank all of you for such informative videos. I am a newcomer to Miniature Horses and Horses in General. I recently moved to the country (Central Valley California) and There are a few farms in town that have Mini horses. They are gorgoues. In the future I plan to buy property and a mini horse or two. These were awesome videos and Im so grateful. I want to let you know your passion, and compassion really inspires me to become a part of the Mini horse community. Viberate
I'm delighted to hear that

Hello, I am also new. My story is almost identical to the Hawaii story. I had many people check the rescue mini; from vets to PRCA cowboys. Well, guess what! The mini was castrated on April 22nd. My lil mare mini seems to be pregnant. We can't get a decent vet out here during coronavirus to save our lives, so I'm on my own. If she is bred, then she would have been bred before April 20, 2019. Here are some pics. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I cannot lose this sweet mini. Please help this Texas Teacher. Thank you!!! ai face anonymizer
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and it's understandable that you're concerned about your mini mare.

Latest posts

Back