Foaling Videos for use as a learning tool

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
With the help of the volunteers at Mare Stare that record many of the births, LB is going to try and put together a show and tell area about foaling.

What I have started doing is looking at the previous foaling of the mare that is about to foal to remind myself of any problems that may have occured, and to think about how I would deal with them differently this time.

This first video is of Abyss's 2010 foaling. She was a maiden and I bought her in foal. This is a tough video to watch as she is not a big mare, and as I was trying to pull the foal out she just came with me. I had no one to hold her steady while I pulled the foal. I changed my technique this year on another mare and I think I have solved this problem when I am here alone. I now plant myself in front of her back legs, anchoring her, so she can not continue to move.

Now here is her foaling from last Saturday, two years later. This is a textbook easy foaling. You will see me give a thumbs up at one point. You will also see me give the mare an injection of Banamine to ease her post birthing pain. We give this to all our mares just after they birth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrLWIrQ-Uc0

From a breeder's perspective, from the moment the water breaks and for the next 20 minutes or so, the birth is a life or death experience. When luck is on our side, everything come our right. When it does not, it is heartbreaking for us all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is the video of my miniature pony Suzie foaling last year. It was my first foaling and thankfully as textbook as they come
default_smile.png

hope it helps
default_smile.png

Hazel that was a great job! I had no idea you had a red bag without you telling us.

This is a video of our mare Toffee foaling and the video is not the best, but the point it makes is that mares can progress a LONG ways into foaling without ever lying flat out. As a matter of fact she was wearing an Equipage and the pager never went off!!! It is a good thing she was on Mare Stare and on this board so I was alerted that she looked close and I was ready (more or less!) when she went down. Other than the mare progressing pretty far with out lying flat, it was textbook, which was a good thing because the foal was huge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_akElGzk2o

Here is a better photo taken when the cord is still attached and we are letting him sit like that for a few minutes to allow more blood to flow through the cord.

Clyde_birthposition.jpg

Here is the long awaited foaling of Delilah. Deliulah had a very good foaling everything went great, but If it had not been for her being on marestare and this forum I would have slept thru it. Delilah foaled at 2:10 am

So this isnt a video of Cocoa foaling but i thought it could be helpful to newbies and i didnt know where to post it lol This is kind of a flow chart of Cocoa's Pregnancy Journey! (This is Cocoa's fourth foal)

Cocoa Pregnancy Journey.jpg

(Just realised i spelt 'hours' wrong haha oh well)

Photos a fine. You can see the progress with the teats when they're all side by side. That last photo, boy, she musta been sore
default_new_rofl.gif

Thank you so much for this topic, the pictures, and the videos! I've got a pregnant maiden mini and it's my first, so I have been watching/reading everything I can!

Oh my word. That was the most informative video for foaling and for dystocia with the leg folded back.

Sorry about the multiple posting but my browser keeps crashing when I try to put two together!

This has to be my favorite as once youngster starts really going she suddenly starts walking off as if to say "hey now that's enough dancing in there!"

trim.NbyHiE.MOV

Attachments

• trim.NbyHiE.MOV
    3.7 MB · Views: 215
One of my mares very kindly likes to show almost textbook udder growth:

rivain changes.jpg

It's missing one pic, the next day she foaled and her udder did one final swell where it was hard and hot to the touch.

My mare lace I owed 2008 second foal

DSC06291.jpg
she hoofs
default_smile.png

DSC06292.jpg

DSC06293.jpg
see nose now
default_smile.png

DSC06296-1.jpg

DSC06297-1.jpg

DSC06299-1.jpg

2008 bay pinto filly

I hope this helps show folks
Just looking through your photos again and just wanted to check, is that normal for that amount of blood to be coming out? Just want to know so I don't freak if I see it happening.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back