Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WJS

Internal scanning of pregnant mares

I would be very interested to know if you scan your mares internally for pregnancy, what percentages would you scan? are there ever complications such as bowel rupture? dose your vet carry out the procedure?.are the mares given a bowel relaxant?

I am told "No serious Horse stud would carry out scans on miniatures" I do not believe this to be true... your thoughts would be appreciated.

how many mares have you had scanned and how many problems were caused by the scan?

many thanks

I have had one mare scanned, because the buyer wanted her confirmed that way. The vet sedated the mare and used a probe made for llamas, but still lacerated the rectum. I do not usually scan, but sometimes it is required to take mares to sale.

I ultrasound many mares of many varied sizes on both quite large and small farms. I have never torn a rectum or colon, but that's not to say because I'm better than other Vets, simply reporting my facts. Tearing a colon is an 'inherent risk' of the procedure and is more a factor of what the mare does rather than the Vet.

I appreciate the procedure has a cost, but so too does keeping a mare that isn't in foal. I think the cost of mare care far out ways the cost of ultrasounds.

Dr Taylor

No serious Horse stud would carry out scans on miniatures" I do not believe this to be true... your thoughts would be appreciated.

What did they mean by "serious horse stud"? We are serious here, with many national champions to show for it.

All our mini and pony mares have been ultrasounded for many years. We have never had any tears or other issues. The mares are sedated first and the vet does the U/S. I also like being able to see how old the fetus is - and if there is no pregnancy - what the ovaries are doing follicle-wise. It is good breeding management and eliminates a lot of guesswork.

While not as accurate, the vet did external ultrasounds on my mares last year, all were open (this would have been late season scans for last year's foals, which there weren't any, and we were dealing with other issues which have since been resolved).

I know of at least one tragedy with the internal ultra sound. The mare died due to bleeding.

I have had my mares ultrasound for most of their pregnancies, just like to make sure that everything looks good etc. Had one vets office in the area tell me there was no way they could U/S, so called the practice that does more reproduction work and they said no problem. They only concern they had were if the mares were very small. , Everything went fine and we did not sedate the mares, they stood just fine.

My Vet US my mares with no problem and one is only 28" No need to sedate them unless they are very nervous.My small girl doesnt have a problem standing nice and still..

When we were breeding, we always had our mares internally ultrasounded with no problems. My vet has a mini probe (is that the correct word?) and does a lot of reproductive work. Our mares were never sedated, but all of mine were very easy to handle.