All Eyes Needed---High Risk Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank goodness it's over, hoping the mare and foal are ok. That was getting very scary....

Glad to see the baby is getting more active, hope the mare's hind end is ok. If she seems to keep having trouble in the next couple days they can try accupuncture and chiropractic work. Worked great on my mare that had her hind end rearranged during a difficult birth!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully, the mare has temporary nerve damage. Have had that a few times here and they ended up just fine. So glad they got a live foal out of that ordeal!

I just tuned into the foal cam and got a bird's eye view of the foal trying stand, looks like Bambie, legs everywhere. Looks pretty darn cute on foal cam.

I wasn't so lucky with nerve damage here. Lost a favorite mare's breeding career after a horrid dystocia that caused her permanent nerve damange. (A most beautiful palomino fewspot -- and a heart horse!) She's in a pet home now and well taken care of, but can never be bred again.

This little one looks strong!!
Sorry to hear about your mare, the mare that I had to have Chiropractic work on took 2 years to get back to normal and then she lost a second foal born premature so decided to end her breeding career as well since she is way too close to my heart to take any more risk!

On marestare they said colt

Definitely a nice leggy colt and I am sure after that foaling that Abby is just happy with alive and standing!!!

I agree though very sad to lose the breeding career of nice horses, mine is an excellent hunter mare and did great in halter too, lost her figure a bit after the second foal but can still jump like the best of them! She works great for taking to fun shows for others to show.

I also hope the mare gets up soon so we can see how she is, she already looked a bit better before she went down so hopefully it will pass and she will be fine.

They did great getting that foal out though, just was scary as heck to watch!!!

Congrats
default_firstprize.gif
on your new boy! So happy she finally has one to love on
default_yes.gif

Sorry to hear about your mare, the mare that I had to have Chiropractic work on took 2 years to get back to normal and then she lost a second foal born premature so decided to end her breeding career as well since she is way too close to my heart to take any more risk!

On marestare they said colt
Wow small world. I was told I should probably put my mare down after a bad dystocia because she was having a horrible time walking. I decided to try a chiro and after her visit she said she should improve some and she might have to come back out but wanted to wait till the foal was weaned as the foal pushing up on udder was making her tense up and hurt again. I weaned the foal and the mare has walked fine since. My first experience with a chiro... I didnt expect what a good outcome it could be.

Everyone did a wonderful job!!!! The baby is strong, leggy and refined and momma is interested in food. All great signs!! She does have some damage/pain in the backend, but that is very likely temporary. Let's pray that's the case.

Great job Abby!!!

Wow small world. I was told I should probably put my mare down after a bad dystocia because she was having a horrible time walking. I decided to try a chiro and after her visit she said she should improve some and she might have to come back out but wanted to wait till the foal was weaned as the foal pushing up on udder was making her tense up and hurt again. I weaned the foal and the mare has walked fine since. My first experience with a chiro... I didnt expect what a good outcome it could be.
Yep mine had problems walking as well and when she trotted you wanted to cringe it looked so horrible! After Chiro and accupuncture she was able to go back to showing like nothing ever happened! She won her Hunter class out of 15 horses so I was sooo proud of her and glad we didnt give up on her! I highly recommend this type of treatment for any mares that have damage after a dystocia! Glad to hear that others have had as good of results as we did and that it wasnt just a fluke!

I have had several mares with nerve damage from a dystocia. All recovered completely and all have gone on to have more foals. Some took a few weeks to move right and others took as long as 6 months or so, but they all ended up just fine.

I just read this on the Marestare forum posted by Abby I am assuming

That was scary, I knew it was trouble, it always is when they drip milk for so many days... red bag, then one front leg, and 2 back legs, I got the front leg up, back legs back and he came half way out and the back legs flew forward again and logged under her pelvis.. baby was crying, we were crying, but my husband finally got the feet back again, thank you all for your deligent watching.. of course its another colt, that makes 7 and 1 filly.. but hes alive and one little Trooper!!!!

So it was a red bag but not a breech? The lil guy was lodging his hind legs on the pelvic rim? I guess he was trying to say "NO, I don't want to come out yet". Thank God all is well!!!

Many congratulations on your new colt and well done to both of you for getting him safely into the world.
default_thumbup.gif

Hope Momma mare will be ok - she must be thrilled to have a little one at last, bless her.

For minor nerve damage after foaling, Hypericum is really good at helping those 'pinched' nerves to recover.

Again many congrats!!

Congratulations, sounds like you all did a wonderful job at helping baby into the world.
default_thumbup.gif

Back