4 Mares due April - May

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griggsmel

Reaction score
Hi, I hope this is the right spot to go for these kind of questions, I've never been part of a forum before, and because I have an air card, I can't hook my cameras up to the internet. This is my first year foaling out this many minis, last year I only had one and before that they were all large horses. I am so worried about complications during birth and wondered if the majority of you out there check the mare once the water breaks for the foal's position or wait till you see something wrong? One of my mares is so big the doctor thought she might have twins (while looking at an ultrasound when she was 4 mnths along), but he determined it probably wasn't, but not 100%. I figured she couldn't be carrying this far along if it's twins, but I just don't know, she's really large! She's about 310 days. She's had udders about 85% full for the last 5 weeks and I'm just so concerned any info or advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. I can't get any milk to test. I attached a picture of her about 3 weeks ago, hopefully I got it to go through ok. Tomorrow I can get pictures from behind if needed. I also have 3 other mares due, but this one concerns me the most right now. Thanks!

Melissa

heidi.JPG

Hello, My name is Mackenzie, welcome to the nut house!!

Your gal there sure seems big, but every mare carries there foals differently. If I could get some pictures from behind, and also some close up pictures of her belly area, that wouuld be great! I have heard of horses having twins, although usually one if not the other usually does not make it, although there have been stories of them surviving!

Also, how tall is she? Usually smaller mini's carry there foals differently then say a 35" mini. Since they are smaller, they usually look huge compared to a bigger mini.

I have a 37" mare and a 31" mare and my 37" mare carried her foal way differently then how my 31" mare would carry.

Last edited by a moderator:
She really is big, she is 31.5" and the stallion is only 30'. I have a 30" mare who isn't as big due right now, too. I know they all carry different, but I can't help but worry. I don't know if there's ever been a case of twins for minis where it turned out successful. My vet was very negative about it. Below are two pictures of her udders and two pictures from behind. Even if it's not twins, I'm worried she won't be able to deliver something so large.....I also thought they didn't have milk for longer than a month before foaling and she's had hers this large since around 2/23. Let me know what you think, thanks for responding
default_worshippy.gif

heidi.JPG

heidi2.JPG

heidi3.JPG

heidi4.JPG

Wow, she is huge for her only being 31". I haven't heard of a case of twins in miniature horses, but it sure does seem like she might be carrying two foals. I have never seen a mare that is 31" and being so big. If you look at her behind pictures, you could almost see two foals on each side of her. She has had milk since 2/23? When is she due? I would take her to see a vet although there isn't really much to do before she foals. Do you have any monitors or anything to watch her? I hope everything turns out ok, and please do keep me updated, I will be following this thread, so make sure to post updates! I will be praying for you and your mare, I am hoping for the best!

Ugh, now I am really worried! I was thinking the same sort of things. When she was ultrasounded, the vet just wasn't sure if he was looking at two foals or one. He came back a month later and ultrasounded her again and said they both measured the same size and the odds of that happening is rare, so he was thinking he was looking at the same baby. When there are twins usually one baby is bigger than the other by a significant margin, so that's what he based his answer on. So.....we proceeded as if it's one baby. I have foaling cameras on her and I watch her as much as I can. When I have to sleep, I set my phone for every hour to check on her and I am sleeping right outside the barn in an RV so I can get there quick. Everyone thinks I am being over protective, but they just don't get it. I've been doing this watch since her milk came in, lol. She has definately had her milk since 2/23, and based on 320 days, she is due April 6th. Isn't it just a little hard to think that two foals could stay in there so long without her either prematurely delivering or aborting?? Thanks for your prayers, I need all I can get!

You are NOT being over protective at all! I have a mare that was my first mini, and if anything like this happened to her, I would be doing exactly what you are doing! Don't listen to those people, they really don't understand. From what the Vet is saying, and from what I am seeing, it seems very likely that she is carrying two foals. And yes one of them is usually larger then the other. Very good that you have cameras on her! I think all you can do is just wait until she foals, unless you see some serious changes in her, then I would take her to the vet and see whats wrong. I would also have the vet out when she is in labor, just in case there are complications. Like I said before, PLEASE keep me updated on her progress and foaling!
default_smile.png

I have never seen a smaller mare be that large either. In my opinion I don't think you are being over protective, you are doing what you have to do to help your mare. Not trying to be negative but the only reason I could think of them (if twins) being in there so long is if the first one isn't in the correct position. I pray you have a safe delivery and will also be watching this thread very closely.

Castle Rock Mini's, I have to praise you right now, You have way more experience in miniature horse breeding then me, and how you put that is fantastic! I was a little worried for the mare, but after seeing those pictures, I am feeling a lot better for griggsmel!
default_worshippy.gif

Ok, I am feeling a little better, your mares were big, too, and so cute!! I keep telling myself it's not twins because she is pretty much full term, so I will think positive thoughts. I appreciate you taking the time to answer such a detailed answer.
default_yes.gif
I see you're in Florida, so am I. I thought the name of your farm sounded familiar, what city are you in? I am near Jacksonville. Tomorrow I will try and post pics of my other expectant mamas who arent' quite so large, lol.

Oh, how about checking the mare after the water breaks or waiting till there's an obvious problem before going in?

Thank you very much, I just LOVE being here with all of you. You guys just make me.....
blushing.gif

Can't wait to see more pictures. Just take your time and I'm glad you're all here so we can all share and learn together!

Oh, and I'm inland from the Sarasota/Bradenton area, in a dinky little town called Arcadia (kind of south, central Florida)!!
We love being here with you too! And I am very happy I finally know your name lol, I was going to ask in my Dream thread, but it seems a bit vacant now LOL!!

I am hoping to learn more from you, you seem so knowledgeable about miniature horses!!

I am so happy that griggsmel's mare is hopefully going to be fine! :D

Hi and thanks for joining us
default_saludando.gif
Yep I agree with Diane Melissa, your girl looks just fine. My girls are smaller ones too and they always look like they are about to explode
default_smile.png

I think with these smaller girls that it is better to get hands on and check that you have two feet and a nose before they are out, if you wait it would be so much harder to reposition the foal. How far away is your vet? Her udder looks normal too, they can take 4-6 weeks to bag up so she is right on track, do you have any milk testing strips? Last year Diane and I used the Foal-Time strips and they are great, very easy to use with just 1 drop of milk. mine tested ready and she foaled 2 hours later
default_yes.gif

Can we have a photo of her hooha and her udder from behind (just lift her tail and bend down )

She is looking good to me and I really doubt there are 2 babies in there
default_thumbup.gif

Hi Melissa and welcome!!

That's a very pretty mare that you have there and she's going to have a normal sized gorgeous baby for you very soon - no twins!!

Like Diane, and others on here, a lot of our smaller mares look as though they must pop with a bang as they get close to foaling - I had one last year that looked like she was carrying triplets, but no, just lots of water and a small neat little baby.
default_yes.gif

But, you are not being over protective at all, it is essential (in my opinion) to be with a mare when she foals, and yes, once we see the little white 'bubble' appear, we do go and gently have a feel for two feet and further up for a nose, because at this stage, if something is 'missing', it is possible to get the mare to her feet, letting the coming baby slide back inside a bit and therefore making it possible/easier to reposition. Once the feet/head is out it is so much more difficult to change anything if necessary. Plus keeping the mare on her feet and walking around may give your vet time to reach you to give you professional assistance.

But I'm sure everything will be fine for you and your little girl. Please keep us up to date as she progresses - I dont think you will have very long to wait for your nw baby.
default_thumbup.gif

Oh thank you all, I am feeling much better right now. I use pool strips to test the milk and since I can only get a drop a night, I have been putting that directly on the strip and figure if the ph changes it will show up that way. I've pretty much decided on going in and checking the foal position, now I'm just trying to get a gallon jug of lube. Do you guys use vaseline or ky jelly or what do you use? Has anyone run into a problem of having hands too big? My vet is at least an hour away after calling so I need to be ready for anything.

What types of sedation or medications does anyone keep on hand in case of emergency?

I'll get those pics of her hooha (gotta love the technical term!) and udders from behind today when I bathe her.

Do not use KY gel but vaseline oil and just go very carefully and slowly. Hopefully you won't need to go in. Of all my girls I only have one that needs help. I give Benamine to help with pain relief after they have passed the placenta.

Hi and thanks for joining us
default_saludando.gif
Yep I agree with Diane Melissa, your girl looks just fine. My girls are smaller ones too and they always look like they are about to explode
default_smile.png

I think with these smaller girls that it is better to get hands on and check that you have two feet and a nose before they are out, if you wait it would be so much harder to reposition the foal. How far away is your vet? Her udder looks normal too, they can take 4-6 weeks to bag up so she is right on track, do you have any milk testing strips? Last year Diane and I used the Foal-Time strips and they are great, very easy to use with just 1 drop of milk. mine tested ready and she foaled 2 hours later
default_yes.gif

Can we have a photo of her hooha and her udder from behind (just lift her tail and bend down )

She is looking good to me and I really doubt there are 2 babies in there
default_thumbup.gif
Ok, here are a couple pictures from behind, what's everyone think? She has been like this with her udders for 5 weeks now so I'm getting a bit impatient!

heidi2.JPG

heidi3.JPG

Looks like her udders could fill a little where her nipples would separate, but that can happen fast.
default_yes.gif

I thought I'd give my other girls a little photo shoot today and introduce them, so here they are. The black one is Grey Oaks Barbie, aka Barbie, who is 31.5". She's out of Kokomo & Little Caesar bloodlines. I rescued her last year with a 24 year old stallion. He just passed away a couple days ago from colic, so I'm very anxious to see what he left me! The sorrel paint is Honeysuckle Knoll Regencys Rebecca, aka Becky. She is 30" and she has Sids Rebel and Lucky Four on her papers. Then there's Charlotte, my kind palomino. She is unregistered but the sweetest thing you ever could meet. She is 34". I suppose I could also put in a picture of the stallion of all but the black mare, Barbie. His name is C Sidebets Little Jeff, aka Jeffie, and he has Grosshill Eks/NFC Egyptian King bloodlines. He's a smoky black, silver dun with the neatest dun stripe down his back and across the withers. The picture isn't that great, but he was smelling a mare outside his stall
default_smile.png
Thanks for letting me introduce them!

jeffie.JPG

barbie.JPG

becky.JPG

becky2.JPG

charlotte.JPG

Latest posts

Back