Dolly's Due Anyday (I Hope) Foaling Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks
biggrin.gif
We think he is on the mend lol here's hoping anyway
aktion033.gif
Have you tried testing her milk? Can we see an udder picky please? My mare was dripping milk the day she foaled so I'm sure it won't be long... I have a mare, she is quite a bit bigger then your girl 36" but we are ALMOST sure she is pregnant lol I'll take some pics for you lol she is hiding her foal even better then your girl lol mares
wink.gif

That's good!

I will post an updated picture tomorrow. She is quite grouchy when I check her udders for the small bag she has. Last night she laid down more than often and she would stretch her legs out and bring them back in and would roll from her tummy to her side. I thought it was time, but not! She's making me a nervous wreck!

I haven't tried the milk strips yet. I think I'll pick them up this weekend. She has to be close at 330 days, right?

default_smile.png

you can use the milk strips as soon as you get milk, I bought the Foal-time strips on line and they were fantastic, cheap and really easy to use as you just use plain milk without having to add anything. The only thing is that once they get to 6.8 you need to test a couple of times a day.

Yes Cassie, We use straw here for all our horses (would never use shavings for foaling mares for the reasons already stated). But, unlike most folks, I deep litter my beds. Loads and loads of straw down first, stamp it all down, add more until when you walk on it you have a good 6 inches of SOLID bedding UNDER your foot. All droppings are picked up as they are done (and yes, through the night too!) Stables are big enough so that you can also build up 'banks' at the side to protect mare's heads as they go down flat out or foals if they decide to roll over close to the walls. Each day fresh straw is added so that there is a 'fluffy' top level for the mare at night, next morning this is stamped down again before fresh is added.

All this means is that when the mares lay down at night, their tummies 'sink' down a little way into the bed and therefore their spines along the whole of their bodies are kept straight because their necks and heads have not 'sunk' into the bedding. Nothing worse, IMO, than seeing a 'beached whale' of a mare laying flat out with it's head 'lower' than it's body!! No wonder a lot of mares shift back 'sternal' instead of staying down flat out when being flat out would be much more comfortable for them and their huge tummies at this late stage of pregnancy. My girls will stay down asleep for hours at a time plus we are a lot more comfortable kneeling down with the girls when helping deliver their babies! Also, in spite of what folks think, there is NO SMELL if the beds are deep enough, nor do the beds ever get wet as any wee goes right through to the bottom layers. Never get wet knees from kneeling down in the bed! At the end of the foaling season, we muck everything out, ready to start all over again.

All this is just my opinion and suits us and our girls.
default_yes.gif

That was really a great explaination for bedding the foaling stall
default_wub.png
. Thanks Anna
default_cheekkiss.gif
. Guess I better buy some more straw and get busy. What I have will not be nearly enough. Hubby keeps bringing shavings and If I'm using them I still need a lot more of those.

thanks Anna
default_wink.png
I knew you would explain it well
default_yes.gif
I just loved having the deep bedding for Suzie! her being so comfy lying down in the stable was just so lovely to see
default_wub.png
and I will do the same with Penny
default_laugh.png

How is Dolly doing?
default_biggrin.png

Dolly is doing fine. I'm starting to wonder if she's bred for sure?!?! She has milk, she has a low belly (not large), she seems relaxed in the vulva, it actually seemed like there was fluid coming from it tonight, I think I feel baby move, but I'm just not sure! Day 331 today.

Thanks for all the info on the bedding. I really like the straw and feel its cleaner than shavings. Dolly seems to like it too!

Fingers crossed something changes soon in a big way!!!
default_smile.png

I know I need to be patient too....so hard!

Dolly is doing fine. I'm starting to wonder if she's bred for sure?!?! She has milk, she has a low belly (not large), she seems relaxed in the vulva, it actually seemed like there was fluid coming from it tonight, I think I feel baby move, but I'm just not sure! Day 331 today.

Thanks for all the info on the bedding. I really like the straw and feel its cleaner than shavings. Dolly seems to like it too!

Fingers crossed something changes soon in a big way!!!
default_smile.png

Yes it's hard to be patient, but you can do it
default_cheekkiss.gif
. You're seeing lots of positive signs and it won't be too long now
default_wub.png
These mares can drive us crazy, but it will be worth the wait
default_cheekkiss.gif

well I hope she foals soon, and has a happy healthy GORGEOUS little foal for you!

have you tried the ring test? its alot of fun to have a guess at what she will have... although from what I have seen... the filly fairy is going to be very very busy LOL
default_rolleyes.gif

No, what's the ring test? Hoping for a filly!
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
:)
hehe the ring test is fun! I have done it for the first time with my mare Penny, and apparantley she is having a filly!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

get a ring (plain) or a nail tie it to the end of a piece of string and hold it just above their hips... make sure it isn't windy or anything or the wind will move it...

if it circles... then a filly... if it goes back and forth up and down the spine... then a colt... if it doesn't move at all... the she is open...

have I described that right Renee?? lol
default_biggrin.png

hope the filly fairy is booked into your place too
default_wub.png

Can't wait to try it!! Thanks!

hehe the ring test is fun! I have done it for the first time with my mare Penny, and apparantley she is having a filly!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

get a ring (plain) or a nail tie it to the end of a piece of string and hold it just above their hips... make sure it isn't windy or anything or the wind will move it...

if it circles... then a filly... if it goes back and forth up and down the spine... then a colt... if it doesn't move at all... the she is open...

have I described that right Renee?? lol
default_biggrin.png

hope the filly fairy is booked into your place too
default_wub.png

Yay Another Mini having a foal!

Boy have I missed out on a lot.
default_laugh.png

What color is your mare?

Hehe I will go back and read everything.
default_biggrin.png

Ah forgot to mention, my name is Mackenzie
default_saludando.gif
, my mare just had her foal last sunday, so I am very excited to see what yours throws!

Hi Mackenzie! Congrats on your new addition! Dolly is a chestnut and white and was bred to a palomino and white with blue eyes. Any thoughts on what we'll get?
default_smile.png

Shayna

Hi Mackenzie! Congrats on your new addition! Dolly is a chestnut and white and was bred to a palomino and white with blue eyes. Any thoughts on what we'll get?
default_smile.png

Shayna

Hello! Thank you very much! Hmm...well I would need to know what type of pinto Dolly and the stallion are, meaning overo, splash, tobiano...ect. I bred my frame overo with a splash overo this year and I got a palomino medicine hat overo colt, but he really does look all white, until you look really closely at his ears and back, then you can see the palomino. So it just really depends on what Dolly and the stallion are. But I have this website that I found on google that you put in what color/pinto pattern you mare and stallion are, and it gives you results on what color they could possibly be, and percentages. Here is the link!

http://www.animalgenetics.us/CCalculator1.asp

From your latest pictures I would say she still has a little time to go yet. When exactly was her covering date? Mind you mini mares are quite well known for carrying their foals longer than expected!

Any news on the ring test?

She was last bred on March 13, 2011. Ring test tonight!
default_smile.png

From your latest pictures I would say she still has a little time to go yet. When exactly was her covering date? Mind you mini mares are quite well known for carrying their foals longer than expected!

Any news on the ring test?

Latest posts

Back