Dolly's Due Anyday (I Hope) Foaling Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was always said that mares in general tend to foal between midnight and 3am (dont know who did the original survey to come up with these times!) and I do find that a lot of mine foal in the 2am - 4am gap. However I have also had a couple of mares who have foaled during the daytime hours.

Even more 'worrying' are those established brood mares who insist on leaving out any signs of the start of labour and in the middle of munching on their hay, simply lay down and start pushing, not even giving one the time (if watching on an indoor camera) to grab one's coat and boots and run the 50 yards to the barn!! These speedy foalers are great in one way, but they dont leave you any time to re-position the coming foal should it be necessary.

Then there are the 'sneaky' ones who know full well that you will eventually have to go for a visit to the loo or have to make a dash for a cuppa before you perish from dehydration and ooooop's, you return to the camera or the barn five minutes later to find that there are suddenly 8 legs in the stable instead of the expected 4 LOL!!

Mares - dont you just love them!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

default_saludando.gif
hi and welcome from australia your mare is just the cuties little thing...sounds like she is very close...iam hoping all goes well for you..

some signs to watch out for bum rubbing,tail swishing this can go on for a few days,,lose poo poos,,pawing at the ground..waxing up,milk dripping.and rolling ,,oh going of the food,,weeing lots.... any thing ive missed ladys please add
default_yes.gif

saludando.gif
Hi from NC! Dolly is a pretty mare!

Has anyone seen her on cam? I am trying to figure out the Skype thing. I'll go searching for the email and see what I find
default_smile.png

Thank you!!! Dolly is still hanging in there. Not much to report today! Still trying to get the camera thing figured out (hopefully before she has the foal)! She will be back up on Skype in the morning.
default_smile.png
day 330 tomorrow!

Thank you!!!

default_saludando.gif
hi and welcome from australia your mare is just the cuties little thing...sounds like she is very close...iam hoping all goes well for you..

some signs to watch out for bum rubbing,tail swishing this can go on for a few days,,lose poo poos,,pawing at the ground..waxing up,milk dripping.and rolling ,,oh going of the food,,weeing lots.... any thing ive missed ladys please add
default_yes.gif

They really do keep you guesing these mares and drives you insane all the quessing and wondering
default_wacko.png
my mare foaled at a very respectable time 8pm but didnt stop all the sleepless nights watching the cam and worrying for months before as her previous foal was at 6am
default_no.gif
easy to say but try not to get to stressed it will come when its ready and hopefully you will get to be there
default_yes.gif

That is my biggest fear, that I won't be there and something will go wrong. I've read so many sad stories and I can't imagine! Im hoping for a night baby!
default_smile.png

They really do keep you guesing these mares and drives you insane all the quessing and wondering
default_wacko.png
my mare foaled at a very respectable time 8pm but didnt stop all the sleepless nights watching the cam and worrying for months before as her previous foal was at 6am
default_no.gif
easy to say but try not to get to stressed it will come when its ready and hopefully you will get to be there
default_yes.gif

So many horror stories yes but along side the horror stories are ones of success easy deliveries
default_yes.gif
I missed one I was there for the other..I woke to see 8 legs on the cam and ran down to the stable to see a just born happy healthy lil baby..alll the worrying in the world isnt going to change whats meant to be so try enjoy it all..its a very special time that only happens for most of us a handfull of times..and its been happening for hundreds and thousands of years so the chances are your baby will arrive without any problems whatsoever just be nice for you to share that moment and be there if any unforseen problems do occure
default_smile.png

Very true! That's exactly how her birth in 2005 went with her previous owner, went to get coffee and came back to 8 legs! I know it will be fine and can only hope to be there to share.
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

quote name='Lindi-loo' timestamp='1328522079' post='1445449']

So many horror stories yes but along side the horror stories are ones of success easy deliveries
default_yes.gif
I missed one I was there for the other..I woke to see 8 legs on the cam and ran down to the stable to see a just born happy healthy lil baby..alll the worrying in the world isnt going to change whats meant to be so try enjoy it all..its a very special time that only happens for most of us a handfull of times..and its been happening for hundreds and thousands of years so the chances are your baby will arrive without any problems whatsoever just be nice for you to share that moment and be there if any unforseen problems do occure
default_smile.png

So I've noticed in a few of the online cameras that shavings are used. I was told to use straw in her stall. Any input and feedback is appreciated.
default_wacko.png

Day 330 today!!! I'm concerned there is still not any real significant udder development...hope that changes soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me to be personal choice..I use deep straw in my stables but as you say the most popular seems to be shavings..I was thinking of changing to shavings as I seem to be going through tons of straw atm..only thing I could think of as a plus point with straw and a newborn is that it doesnt stick to the wet new baby like shavings would and Im sure straw is warmer though but not sure youd need that where you are
default_wacko.png

Yes straw is much better for foaling or hay if you don't have any, straw doesn't sting to the umbilical cord so much and shavings can be easily inhaled by a new baby laying down a lot. My girls are bedded down on shavings but I add straw as they get close to foaling and then keep them of it for about a week or so after.
saludando.gif

Thanks! That's pretty much what I thought too. The straw seems like a cleaner choice for the new babes. Getting ready to add updated photos of her bag and vulva.
default_biggrin.png

yes it looks like she has a way to go in the udder department, normally it takes from 2-6 weeks to bag up but some girls have foaled and then bagged up after so who knows
rolleyes.gif

default_thumbup.gif
Her belly is looking great but Id say her udder has some way to go yet
default_yes.gif
but doesnt mean it cant fill very quickly Im sure you will see the difference when it starts..cow springs to mind
default_new_rofl.gif

heres a picture of my mares udder 2 hours before she foaled

263219_2133961083083_1667744376_2179737_5066302_n.jpg

I use straw in my foaling stalls. I don't like how shavings are dusty and can stick to the bub, straw is much nicer
default_yes.gif
I'm even using it with most of my show horses now!

So I've noticed in a few of the online cameras that shavings are used. I was told to use straw in her stall. Any input and feedback is appreciated.
default_wacko.png

Day 330 today!!! I'm concerned there is still not any real significant udder development...hope that changes soon.
Hi and welcome from Sydney Australia, sorry I'm a little late... lol my own foal has been sick...

your girl is absoloutly gorgeous! how tall is she? she is hiding her pregnancy quite well I think hehe, don't you hate when mares do that! adds to the confusion and stress so much more! lol

regarding the bedding, with my first foal I put just straw and was quite expensive but really good... this time I'm going to try shavings as a base and then straw on top...so they can still lie down and get comfy with those big tummies and not hurt baby but the wee goes through the staw keeping it drier for them... I think Anna does a similar thing...? correct me if I'm wrong please Anna lol.

going to give it a go anyways

good luck with your mare! hope everything goes well

Thank you! I know, she is not big at all compared to the mates I've been seeing here. Makes me wonder for sure! She is producing quite a bit of milk, it actually squirts out and pretty sure I've felt baby move so I hope I'm not wrong!!! Lol! She is 32" and the stallion was 28".

All great ideas for the bedding! Thank you!

I hope your baby is ok!

Hi and welcome from Sydney Australia, sorry I'm a little late... lol my own foal has been sick...

your girl is absoloutly gorgeous! how tall is she? she is hiding her pregnancy quite well I think hehe, don't you hate when mares do that! adds to the confusion and stress so much more! lol

regarding the bedding, with my first foal I put just straw and was quite expensive but really good... this time I'm going to try shavings as a base and then straw on top...so they can still lie down and get comfy with those big tummies and not hurt baby but the wee goes through the staw keeping it drier for them... I think Anna does a similar thing...? correct me if I'm wrong please Anna lol.

going to give it a go anyways

good luck with your mare! hope everything goes well

Latest posts

Back