Four mares up on cam now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must remember to order mine too soon.
new_multi.gif
foaling is so exciting
risa8.gif

I live for it. I love the whole process. I have a great big binder. I keep the exact details of each breeding, and from then on, I record details of each pregnancy every week or so. All details of udder development, size and shape of belly, and other notables are all recorded as they go along. I take great enjoyment in filling out stallion reports, breeding certs, foal registration forms. These are all filled out immediately and then I wait for the babies to be born so I can send them in. And I get to fill in double the forms this year too as I am getting everyone double registerd this year.

the watching mares just doing nothing for hours for the few moments when they do something exciting: swish tail, bite sides, yawn, bum scoot, anything at all that might be a sign (make more notes in my binder).

the whole birthing process, sorting out if foal is positioned correctly, if the placenta is detached, if the amNiotic sack tears on it's own or needs my help. If a foot is misplaced or the foal is breach.

Towelling dry the foal, treating umbilical cord, checking for foals response to sounds, sights.

Helping little one to drink or in a rare treat, watching it discover the teat all on it's own. Making sure little one is pooping and peeing on it's own.

tying up placental tissues, checking the placenta for tears or abnormalities.

There is just nothing about the whole thing that I dont like. It's my absolute joy. Hubby can't understand but has learned that you dont mess with mom and her horses, especially at foaling time.

LOL, there you go, now you all know I'm a nutso too jsut like you all.

Oh Amanda you girls look just fabulous in their summer coats.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I do love seeing my girls all furry, fuzzy and cuddly in their winter greatcoats, but then I also like the summer months when they are all slick and gleaming - it's just the inbetween seasons of Spring and Autumn when their coats are doing the changeover that I get a little disappointed with their appearances.
default_yes.gif

Wow... what a great new concept! To be able to watch a live mini foaling on the internet! I hope I don't miss it. Your fuzzy girls are so darn cute!

Wow... what a great new concept! To be able to watch a live mini foaling on the internet! I hope I don't miss it. Your fuzzy girls are so darn cute!

Well if you stay tuned for the next month, you'll be sure to see one. I myself have these four who will foal by mid March and lots of others on here have girls getting close too. It's a awesome opportunity to see something alot of people never get a chance to see. I hope you do get to see one.

default_saludando.gif
Welcome to the nut house Bluebird. We'll be having babies poping up everywhere before lone. Glad you chose to join us. Hang around here very long and you will have more than one furbaby. Believe me.

Amanda, I love your concept of record keeping. I have started anotebook (binder) for each of my furkids. I have pictures off Delilah every week since she go off the transport as with her traveling companions.

Amanda it was 8.20 am for me
default_laugh.png
I am 5 hours ahead of you, when the girls are close I can watch them from around 6.30 am (1.30am your time) but before I get up they will be watched by our Aussie friend Cassie
biggrin.gif
so the girls will get no privacy
aktion033.gif
haha yep! Renee follows after me
default_laugh.png
she comes on usually about 4pm my time... which is great cos I have to finish watching at 5pm my time (finish work lol) we have nearly a 24/7 watch team here hehe its awesome!!

I won a Mother Nature's Foaling Predictor kit from one of the fishing games here on LB! I am so excited to get to use them with Laney in a few months!
risa8.gif
oh wow!! how exciting Megan! congrats!! I loved using the foal time strips! they worked SO well!!!

i remember with Suzie the night she had wax I tested and she was off the charts... the yellow says 8-12 hrs I think lol n she was a really really white yellow... she foaled 2 hours later!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wub.png
was SO brilliant definiltey going to use them again next time I breed them!!! excellent!

3.15 am and Fly is looking a bit restless, she went down and then got back up a minute later. hhhmmmmmmm, I will keep my eye on her

all girls looking pretty settled at the moment... just checked in after reading Renee's post...

all standing, though I can't see much of Ladybug hehe about of tail swishing and foot stamping from Marcella, but otherwise all quiet... :D

If being uncomfortable means foaling, then fly and Marcella will be first up. Thanks for the info Eagle, I was sleeping and it is good to hear a bit of what goes on while I'm not watching. I notice Marcella cannot find a happy place for her back feet, she just keeps switching and switching from one to the other. Exciting stuff! (and I'm not even joking, I love this stuff).
default_smile.png

I love it too!!! noticing every litting thing wondering if that one little thing is THAT things that means they will foal!!!
default_laugh.png
love it so much!

Not only is it good fun watching them it also lets us know their routine so it makes it easier to recognise any "foaling" behaviour.
yes.gif

Ooooop's - just had a heart attack!! Fly had a shadow right alongside her tummy in the perfect position for a feeding foal!!! LOL!!

But all is quiet, except that they seem to be waiting for someone to turn up with their breakfast! (reminds me of Suzie and her 'waiting for breakfast' antics!) Fly does have a loose bucket in the middle of her stable - was she playing bucketball last night?

Hi Debbie (Bluebird) welcome to the Mother and Baby unit - great to have you on board. Do join in and tell us lots about your family and other animals.
default_yes.gif

I was very bad and slept in until 845!!!! OMG, did they swear at me when I finally got out there to feed and clean them. They are used to their 7 am breakfast. Poor souls, I felt really bad for them. Fly and Marcella have the most developed udders as of right now, but nothing to get really excited about yet. I'm going to float some teeth today, it's been a year for everybody and since it's still kinda miserable outside they're going to stay in anyways, might as well make use of the day.

Have a good one everyone.

default_saludando.gif
iam still watching...all seems carm ..come on girls were all waiting for your beautiful babys to be born

Yes Amanda they did have a bit of a tantrum this morning
laugh.gif
but I imagined that you were having a lay in.
rolleyes.gif
Your girls were not impressed.

LOL, eagle- I know, I pulled up the camera and Ladybug looked like she was hovering she was weaving so fast.
default_laugh.png
, Poor souls. Will have to wake up earlier tomorrow for them. I ended up putting them out as it is windy but they have a little tree bluff they go and hide from it all in. So that is where they are right now.

4.22 am and all is quiet. Nell, ladybug and Marcella are resting, Fly is down steernal

Thanks Eagle. I didn't sleep in quite so long today.
default_smile.png
All fed and out in the paddock. It's a fairly nice day even though there is an awful lot of ice on the ground. The girls are very careful where they step.

Latest posts

Back