Alfalfa.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to feed it for minis, or all horses? I've had issues with minis because its so rich, but its a fine product overall and with proper awareness and diligence it makes a WONDERFUL top quality feed.

I wasn't condoning the article Diane, but just thought it was interesting and maybe worthy of discussion. Being out here in the South West, Alfalfa is pretty much the norm for all horses. It is also less expensive than most other hays and since there is no pasture here, all hay feed must be purchased. Like you, we have always fed Alfalfa. I had forgotten you also had PPs, like us. We will have to discuss that one day. I also had American Saddlebreds, Arabians and one Missouri Foxtrotter. All were fed Alfalfa with no problems.

My daughter feeds her Minis Alfalfa pellets and hay. She feeds her Gypsy Horses, half Alfalfa and half Bermuda. No pellets or cubes.

Lizzie

We feed a timothy/alfalfa mix and I doubt that there are any farms around here that you can get straight timothy.

I know I could get straight alfalfa but I would think it's too rich for my horses as well.

We had Quebec buyers here and they had bales of straight orchard grass which looked nice but I didn't like the way it smelled
default_laugh.png

I guess I am just used to the timothy alfalfa mix and I chop it to feed it to my horses who will waste hay if in a slice.

Touch wood, we don't have many colic problems.

Interesting article and always so many different ideas.

I must say the whole "increased incidence of disease" portion of that article is one of the most scientifically flawed things I've read in a really, really long time!

thank you for posting that article. It should lead to a good discussion.

We've fed alfalfa for many many years to big and small horses without experiencing the problems listed. I much prefer alfalfa in the diet over high grain/starch diets. We find it greatly reduces the incednece of colics and ulcers. Having said that though, all of our horses get 'some' grass hays too of varying amounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting.

i have always fed second crop alfalfa. has more nutrition than the grass hay. i am careful not to get my minis overly fat . never have had one founder either
default_smile.png

I don't think alfalfa is a bad hay. I prefer not to feed straight alfalfa I really like the alfalfa/orchard combo.

I've got the minis on timothy hay / soaked timothy pellets and the full size horses (Quarter horses) on #1 Alfalfa. I'm very happy with the results!
default_aktion033.gif

Liz N.

I'll add my two cents.

I feed my mommy's alfalfa beginning 30 days out and

all the time they are nursing.

If available alfalfa is to stemmy I do use pellets instead.

We have A LOT of grazing and I don't feed it, except as a

topping to the minis. A handful on top of their hay ration,

of orchard grass, that they look forward to and are disappointed

when they think my handful, is to small. They also get some pellets

mixed in their grain.

My big guy, an Arab Pinto, is 16 and eats straight alfalfa.

He also gets, on his grain, a top dressing mix of Apple Cider Vinegar and Oil,

which we call his salad dressing.

My vet started my Arabs on that 30+ years ago, as he felt the Apple Cider

Vinegar helped in the formation of calcium crystals.

Don't know if that's a current protocol or not but I've never had any health issues.

As they've always eaten it well I've not seen any reason to discontinue

it, with last big guy.

I do also feed a alfalfa orchard grass mix when I can find a nice bales.

I think its nearly impossible to feed a youngster the correct amount of protein in their diet without using a hay that is at least partial alfalfa. I have a weanling colt that is on alfalfa, beetpulp, and a handful of long stem soft timothy hay. My other horses are 4 and 11, and during show season, when they are working, I do give them an alfalfa timothy mix. Right now, they are both on straight timothy. To be honest, both are easy keepers, and get hefty on alfalfa if they aren't working. With going into winter, I like to be able to feed a higher quantity of hay to help keep them warm, but don't want them obese either. With them idle, I can feed way more timothy than alfalfa without them getting too too fat. Come March, everyone will go back on at least alfalfa mix, if not straight alfalfa.

Okay, I am feeding my little 6 month old mini colt straight bermuda...about a flake a day. I haven't tried alfalfa. Everyone around here is sold out of it so what are your thoughts on the Alfalfa sold at Tractor supply in the small bales wrapped in plastic? It looked awfully course for him to eat. Please let me know!
default_unsure.png

Well... All my ponies get alfalfa only.. and where it's winter and not being worked they are not being grained.. and really am super happy with the condition they are all in.. I think alfalfa hay is so good for them.. now.. if it gets SUPER cold or snow storm I will give them a little grass hay.. Now.. I do have to say that the 1 full size horse I have is a coming 3yr.old quarter horse, Lenny. He gets 1 flake of alfalfa a.m. & p.m. but I also give him 1 - 2 flakes of grass hay with that a.m. & p.m. I could not just give him alfalfa only.. he'd be bouncing off the walls.. and where I have been around the full size horses most of my life... I have never feed straight alfalfa to one...but it works very well with these ponies and they each get one flake of alfalfa in the a.m. & p.m and that's it... These are fairly big flakes though..

Tractor Supply also sells TNT bagged, chopped timothy & alfalfa mix which might be a good addition to your feed if you don't like their bagged alfalfa. It's usually soft & palatable, and has a little molasses in it.

Jan

Tractor Supply also sells TNT bagged, chopped timothy & alfalfa mix which might be a good addition to your feed if you don't like their bagged alfalfa. It's usually soft & palatable, and has a little molasses in it.

Jan
I think this might depend on the TSC. Our local TSC (local for me is 150 miles one-way) quit carrying the TNT chops, started carrying the Lucerne Farms HiFiber bagged chopped hay, and have now quit carrying that as well. Quite frustrating.

I truly believe that straight alfalfa is what has turned my hard keeper around this year. I believe she likely had ulcers and the combination of U-Guard in her feed every day along with the alfalfa helped calm her stomach enough that she was able to eat more. She now has a great coat, a decent body score and consistently eats ALL her food. I give her a small flake morning and night. She gets up to 2 hours to eat it. What's left is then cleaned up by my other 5. I think there may be some times that using it is not the best choice, but I'm glad I found it to be the right choice for my girl.

Interesting article though....it never hurts to keep learning!

Okay, I am feeding my little 6 month old mini colt straight bermuda...about a flake a day. I haven't tried alfalfa. Everyone around here is sold out of it so what are your thoughts on the Alfalfa sold at Tractor supply in the small bales wrapped in plastic? It looked awfully course for him to eat. Please let me know!
default_unsure.png
Are you talking about the Standlee brand? I just bought a bale tonight so we'll see if its worth the price or not. The compressed bales by Standlee are not cheap but I liked the looks of the bale, its green and smells great. Plus 3 times now I've bought hay I have not been happy with, the only bales that I like are $10 for alfalfa/orchard at a feed store that are quickly selling out. I don't mind paying more for quality but I'm tired of paying so much for poor quality hay, so I'm hoping the compressed bales will be worth the price. I bought alfalfa/grass.

I wouldn't feed straight alfalfa to my guys all the time. That said, I did look at some and am sprinkling it over my weanlings grass hay (just for a treat). It's just so very rich (really really green). I like to be able to throw as much hay as I want at them (especially in the winter), and you just can't do that with alfalfa with ponies and minis.

Edited to add: I do feed my guys Gro 'n Win, which is a 32% protein ration balancer that is fortified with some alfalfa

I'm feeding the Standlee brand compressed alfalfa to my weanlings and they love it! The Standlee hay products are always high quality and consistent so you know it's going to be good from one shipment to the next.

Am I seeing that right?! One flake/day?! Is he on grass, too?

Latest posts

Back