Laney (*filly* 4/10-Tinkerbelle) *New pics pg 187*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeganH

Reaction score
I know it is early but I wanted to go ahead and give Laney a thread so I can track her progress and have a place to ask questions as they arise.
biggrin.gif

Laney is a 7 year old bay pintaloosa mare in foal and due April 12th, 2012. She has had 4 previous foals.

DSCN6347.JPG

This was her first breeding to MCMS Montanas Glory. Montana is homozygous for both the Black Factor and Tobiano genes. He is a grandson of Shredder. I have permission to post pictures of Montana from his breeders/owners.

montana1.jpg

Laney will be streaming live on Mare Stare beginning in March.
default_aktion033.gif

CAM LINK: http://www.marestare...lias=houtsminis

--------------------------------------------------

Guesses!!:

March 17 @ 11:40pm -pintoloosa Filly (Hazel)
March 20 or 28 -bay pintaloosa Colt (Diane)
March 23 (Vickie)
March 25 @ 3:10 am -bay pinto (Anna)
March 26 -black and white Filly (Me)
March 27 -black and white pinto- Filly (Cassie)
March 30 @ 4:15 am - sorrel pintaloosa Filly (Renee)
March 31 @ 2:30 am -bay pinto Filly (Karina)
March 31 @ 2:30 am -black pinto Filly (Parmela)
bay pinto Filly (Bree)
April 2 -bay pinto (Anna)
April 5 -pintoloosa Filly (Hazel)
April 6 -bay pintaloosa Colt (Diane)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay for Megan n laney!! You know we love your girl Megan! They are going to have a gorgeous foal together! The dad is stunning to!! Will love seeing her progress during this time ;) good work!

YAY
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah . She is a beauty. oh and just think of all the possibilities with that daddy. How wonderful. We'll be watching
default_new_shocked.gif
and waiting for the Marestare link. Congratulations!!!

Thank you for giving me something to look forward to this spring. Haven't had any foals here in a couple of years. I'll help keep watch when the time is near.
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you, everyone!

I am so excited to get her up on Mare Stare!
risa8.gif
The lovely Heather set up my computer connection yesterday so once we are ready to stream it will be available in no time. So thankful to have help watching my Laney!

I forgot to say Montana is a Shredder grandson so I edited the first post.

I want to also thank everyone in advance for helping me watch and answering questions about my Laney. I really really appreciate it!
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see new foaling threads cropping up and more mares to watch!
default_laugh.png

Fingers crossed you get spots and pinto
default_yes.gif

Ooooo next Spring is going to be soooooooo exciting!! Plus we have Fire Fly and Sunny to foal out before then.
default_yes.gif

Here are some pictures of Laney from today. She is 214 days in foal.

DSCN7268.JPG

DSCN7254.JPG

DSCN7261-2.JPG

She's such a pretty girl Megan.
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

It may well be your camera angle but has she possibly lost a little (only a little) weight from her back end? I think it might be the camera or it might just be my imagination?

The angle does make her look thinner. She has gained some hind end since she came to me since she was only on grass before. I am trying to find a good amount of feed to give her and I recently dropped her amount so she may have lost a little butt. I am going to up the amount a bit again.. but Ricky won't be eating as much as he used to cause he has gotten thick in the neck and I have to dig a little for his ribs. My little muffin
wub.gif

The angle does make her look thinner. She has gained some hind end since she came to me since she was only on grass before. I am trying to find a good amount of feed to give her and I recently dropped her amount so she may have lost a little butt. I am going to up the amount a bit again.. but Ricky won't be eating as much as he used to cause he has gotten thick in the neck and I have to dig a little for his ribs. My little muffin
default_wub.png
its so hard to balance them on a good diet isn't it LOL

just don't do what I did...

When I first got Penny and Suzie they were both to thin, so I put them on a bigger feed, I just kept them on that for to long... its hard work getting them to lose it as they have gotten used to a larger feed then they are getting now and always go searching for more after!
default_rolleyes.gif

she looks great! and so cute in her fluffy winter pjs!!!
default_wub.png
:wub

can we see some more piccies of Ricky?
default_wub.png

Lord, Cassie- It is not easy to get the diet thing down for me. I am definitely learning. The grass is still not dead here so they are not on hay completely but I do give a little hay each day so they are used to it in their systems. Laney was on grass only and would have started feed the last 3 months. I went a head and started her on feed when she came home. It's Omolene mare and foal feed with 16% protein so I don't want to feed her too much. She already has a small fatty deposit on the back of her neck where she had lost weight very quickly after being drug down by her foals. Her hind end looks a little light to me though so it makes me want to give her a little more feed. I will keep trying to get it right.

Here's my little Ricky today
wub.gif

DSCN7313.JPG

Now there's a very handsome chap!! He's looking great.
default_yes.gif
Just keep him ticking along coz it doesn't to have a little extra weight to help him through the winter.

Laney has plenty of time before she foals for you to get her into the shape you want. You are doing a great job!! As long as they can still go on grazing and you are sensibly adding a little hay, then I would think that Laney will be fine on her mare and foal food, but just make sure you are either feeding the full amount recommended on the bag, or, if you think that is too much for her, then feed a bit less but get her a good vitamin and mineral supplement (to get the full and proper amount of vits and minerals into a horse, you have to feed the full recommended amount, so a supplement is always needed if you dont feed that full amount) -- I seem to be repeating myself LOL!!

I'm not the best one to advise on feeding minis as mine are at grass - good grass - all year round, so are fat little pigs!! But even then, when the mares come in at nights a month before their foaling dates, they still get fed a balancer like Gro and Win to give them the added vits and minerals etc., without putting on more weight (plus soft hay of course overnight)

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Glad you started a thread early its nice to see things progressing and be able keep a close eye on her changing shape
default_yes.gif
..theyr both looking fab..so exciting for you to have an early baby to look forward to in the spring
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

default_saludando.gif
iam glad you started a thread to,,as lot of photos are great b/c to you she will look the same but

when you put photos up on here you can really tell the differents....

photos lots and lots of photos...........................

I am not sure how most people transition from grass to hay.. so is it a good idea to already be giving a little hay each day?

Laney is back to being fed the recommended amount of feed for her and I am going to up Ricky's feed again back to where he was supposed to be. I noticed he is started to get bloated sides of his belly like he had when I got him so he looks like he needs what is in the feed. I may give him a little less time in the big pasture or something. We'll see. I just don't want him to be so fat it is a risk to his health. Also- I want to show him next year.

I got Ricky a big ball to play with and he just doesn't get what to do. I took a very boring but still cute video I may upload and post here of when he met the ball. But here is a picture of them from yesterday.

DSCN7348.JPG

I am glad I started this thread early
yes.gif
Can't wait to see how Laney grows.

Latest posts

Back