SAFFIRE HAS FOALED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Jenny please dont panic. Too many folk get a fixation on the foal feeding. This is why we get out of the stable very quickly after foaling, stand outside and watch, make sure foal is getting to its feet and that Momma is ok, go and make a cuppa and return to watch but from further away. As long as Momma is ok we pop in a small mushy feed and some good leafy hay, wait while Momma eats so we can remove the bowl, and then leave them alone, just returning every half an hour to observe.

Foals do not need to drink immediately, they can go 3, 4 5 or even 6 hours, but most will feed before this obviously. You have to realise that a foal is almost blind when born, it works by scent and will follow/latch on to whoever it 'finds' in it's space. This is the time it NEEDS to find it's Momma, not a human, and it needs to find it's Momma distinctive personal smell, not a human one. Once it identifies it's Momma's scent it may well wander around the stable looking quite clueless (!!), but it WILL return to it's dam and it WILL eventually catch on to the scent of her milk and hey presto, after a great many misses, it WILL drink!!

99% of the time (if all is well) a foal left well alone, will find the milk bar - and yes, they will often lay down and rest before they feed. You just have to keep observing and be patient. Trying to guide a foal to the teats can often put them off and if you then move away, they become even more confused and take even more time to go through all the 'moves' to find and attach themselves to Momma. Please give your new little baby some time before calling the vet - nothing more stressful for a new born foal (and to it's poor Momma) to be grabbed and manhandled and to have a tube forced down it's throat to get food into it when more often than not had it been left alone it would have managed very well. Sorry but I feel very strongly about this, as might be obvious!
default_yes.gif

That said, of course if you are at all concerned that thigs are not progressing well, then a call to the vet is a must.

Good luck - and pictures asap please!!

default_saludando.gif
thanks annac that is the best advice ive heard thank you,, watching them on cam and she,s really trying out the milk bar now..cant tell if shes on it but shes in the right direction

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on a text book foaling. The little filly is beautiful!
default_wub.png
This is the best outcome possible. You must be incredibly relieved.

I was out cleaning water tubs, thought I would check in. She's beautiful! So happy all went well with the delivery. Congratulations.

default_saludando.gif
thanks guys iam pretty chuffed with her

what iam i gunna call her.....got any ideas

default_saludando.gif
saffire is doing a lot of laying down like she in labour again is that normal

yes i no iam a worry wort..

default_saludando.gif
saffire is doing a lot of laying down like she in labour again is that normal

yes i no iam a worry wort..
Yes, it's normal, she is probably a little crampy, the more the foal nurses the more her uterus cleans out. Try giving her a smidge of banimine if you have any to ease her discomfort. Plus she just had a baby, that is hard work.

Yes, it's normal, she is probably a little crampy, the more the foal nurses the more her uterus cleans out. Try giving her a smidge of banimine if you have any to ease her discomfort. Plus she just had a baby, that is hard work.

default_saludando.gif
thanks for the advice dont have any banimine

will be keeping a eye on them for as long i can, as it 3.30 here in the morning

Lucky Lodge Dont Worry Bout Me
biggrin.gif
not sure about the barn name with that one though

Congrats on the beautiful filly!
default_wub.png
Glad it all went well and she'd found the milkbar.
default_aktion033.gif

I always stress when they dont drink within an hour too, but usually they get it down and will soon be drinking away.

Congrats again :D

Marsha

default_saludando.gif

oh love it
default_wub.png
I glad you like it, my daughter in law is from South Africa, she is english. Her first horse was a thorobred named Lady in Waiting. When my daughter in law went to England to visit her mum she left Lady with me. I rode her to many championships in judged trail. She has since passed but was a great horse.

default_saludando.gif
well its 4.15 in the morning here and my tooth picks just snapped...plus ive got my brother

bringing his clydesdale x coming to live here at 9.00 ....i will take some more photos tomorow...

good night everyone ...

thank you to everyone for putting up with my stress and worrys and my stupid question
default_wub.png

Jenny she Is absoloutly gorgeous!! Love the name little lucky lady in waiting!!!!!! Aka lady!!! Love it! Hope your getting some well deserved sleep now can't wait for some new day pics of your little lady!!! <3

Get a good sleep and enjoy it - no need to keep the eyes forced open any longer!!

We of course, will expect more pics in the morning - you could throw in one of the Clydesdale x too.
default_yes.gif

Sleep well too Saffire (when you can), you have done a brilliant job for your Mum.
default_wub.png

If Saffire had been on Marestare she would have been December foal of the month

She is beautiful
wub.gif
Saffire is a good cook!

Latest posts

Back