SAFFIRE HAS FOALED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
LITTLE BLACK AND WHITE FILLY

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
LITTLE BLACK AND WHITE FILLY
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
YEAH!!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Congrats!!!

Can't WAIT for pictures!!!!!

How did the foaling go?! Hopefully very well!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!!! How absolutely brilliant and a filly too -- what a clever girl and well worth waiting for!!

Sooooo lets have all the details - how did the birth go - are they both fine?????

And of course, pictures as soon as you can post some......PLEASE!

Many congratulations Jenny and well done Saffire.
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Oh Jenny I was so happy to see that topic title, this morning.

Congratulations many many times over.

I, too, will be looking forward to photos along with everyone else.

Gosh, that's just great. Hope it all went smoothly for her.

I just woke up due to a sudden rain down pour so I thought I would check in on how she was going...

That is absoloutly brilliant!!!!!!!!!! How exciting for you Jenny!!!! You must be thrilled!!!! Can't wait to see pics n hear more of her birth!!!!!! Yay saffire!

Jenny, I am so happy that I have goose pimples.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Come on, give us pics and details
biggrin.gif

default_saludando.gif
well she,s a liitle ripper just come in side to make a cuppa

its been 2 hours since she foaled and she hasnt had a drink yet rang the vet she said if she has nurse by 6.30 she will come milk saffire and tube her ...i dont no whats with these vets...the placenta was very healthy

looking to...vet said its ok for them not to drink for so long but i thought it was very important for them to drink in the first couple of hours...ive been trying to get her to suck of mum but she will suck my finger but not mum boob
default_no.gif

Try milking Saffire and giving it to her with a syringe Jenny

default_saludando.gif
ok on to it if i can find a syringe but the milk is clear is that normal

oh foal is laying dow is that normal or should it be up trying to find the milk bar

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
Fantastic news CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby girl
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif

Looking forward to seeing the pictures

default_saludando.gif
ive left to bond on there own and iam watching them on cam and it looks like she into the milk bar
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Oh Jenny please dont panic. Too many folk get a fixation on the foal feeding. This is why we get out of the stable very quickly after foaling, stand outside and watch, make sure foal is getting to its feet and that Momma is ok, go and make a cuppa and return to watch but from further away. As long as Momma is ok we pop in a small mushy feed and some good leafy hay, wait while Momma eats so we can remove the bowl, and then leave them alone, just returning every half an hour to observe.

Foals do not need to drink immediately, they can go 3, 4 5 or even 6 hours, but most will feed before this obviously. You have to realise that a foal is almost blind when born, it works by scent and will follow/latch on to whoever it 'finds' in it's space. This is the time it NEEDS to find it's Momma, not a human, and it needs to find it's Momma distinctive personal smell, not a human one. Once it identifies it's Momma's scent it may well wander around the stable looking quite clueless (!!), but it WILL return to it's dam and it WILL eventually catch on to the scent of her milk and hey presto, after a great many misses, it WILL drink!!

99% of the time (if all is well) a foal left well alone, will find the milk bar - and yes, they will often lay down and rest before they feed. You just have to keep observing and be patient. Trying to guide a foal to the teats can often put them off and if you then move away, they become even more confused and take even more time to go through all the 'moves' to find and attach themselves to Momma. Please give your new little baby some time before calling the vet - nothing more stressful for a new born foal (and to it's poor Momma) to be grabbed and manhandled and to have a tube forced down it's throat to get food into it when more often than not had it been left alone it would have managed very well. Sorry but I feel very strongly about this, as might be obvious!
default_yes.gif

That said, of course if you are at all concerned that thigs are not progressing well, then a call to the vet is a must.

Good luck - and pictures asap please!!

Oh I was rambling on and I see that you have posted that all is well and the milk bar has been found!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Oh and she is GORGEOUS!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

What long legs - no wonder poor Saffire was so uncomfortable!!!

Keep those pictures coming.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back