ruby my naughty dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
my dog ruby is being naughty again shes jumping the side fence to get the foal out the front paddock

what do i do with this dog

And train her.

Call her back to you before she escalates to that point. Have you established a 'leave it command'? because this might be a good time to do so.

does she get off the chain Jenny? try electric fence... its a bit nasty for the first little bit... but she should learn... how old is she?

default_saludando.gif
it would be hard to set electic fence weres shes jumping

ruby would be turning 4 this year

Is she an inside dog or outside dog? You may want to set up a run for her to go "out" in and not give her the chance to pester the horses. Sounds like she doesn't need the free rein of the area if she's going to be so naughty. Really hope you find something that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always lurking on this thread trying to get a baby fix, since I havn't had any of my own for two years now, and I so miss the pitter patter of tiny hooves. I'm going to get on my soap box here! Kennel your dog, I never allowed my dogs any where near a new foal, one little nip or scare can effect the foal for life. dogs and horses have a different body language, and don't understand each other. Please put Ruby in a yard or kennel or if need be on a chain when outside. she shouldn't be any where near the babies. Enough said on that.

While I'm on my soap box, about Saffire, since she could have a red bag, please don't leave her for even five minutes. Get someone else to shop. If you must sleep for a few hours then get some one to watch her even if you need to pay them. Just trying to help as I've been in this boat and sometimes it sinks when not watched carefully. I don't want to post horror stories just be helpful.
default_1857272.gif

I'm always lurking on this thread trying to get a baby fix, since I havn't had any of my own for two years now, and I so miss the pitter patter of tiny hooves. I'm going to get on my soap box here! Kennel your dog, I never allowed my dogs any where near a new foal, one little nip or scare can effect the foal for life. dogs and horses have a different body language, and don't understand each other. Please put Ruby in a yard or kennel or if need be on a chain when outside. she shouldn't be any where near the babies. Enough said on that.

While I'm on my soap box, about Saffire, since she could have a red bag, please don't leave her for even five minutes. Get someone else to shop. If you must sleep for a few hours then get some one to watch her even if you need to pay them. Just trying to help as I've been in this boat and sometimes it sinks when not watched carefully. I don't want to post horror stories just be helpful.
default_1857272.gif
I agree, neither of my two dogs have been allowed anywhere near Finn or Suzie!!

jenny, I know you might not like the idea of locking Ruby up! but if she is being naughty then she needs it!

also you should be able to put electric tape up high on the fence too... my retreiver used to do it when he was younger... we put the tape up at the height where he was jumping, it only took one zap and he didn't do it again! I know it may sound cruel but its for the best! my dogs have been around calves all their lives so I think they would be fine with Finn but I DONT want to risk it!

sorry if you think I'm a bit harsh going on about this... if she is breaking the chain get a bigger chain... if she is jumping the fence, electrify it, as Riverrose said its not worth them even playing and a little nip and your gorgeous little Beau/ or Warrior? could be scared for life of dogs!
default_no.gif
not worth it in my opinion...

I actually rehomed a dog a year ago and one of the main reasons was the way she reacted to my horses. Totaly locked on to them and wanted to chase
default_no.gif
I couldnt put her or the horses through that, especially with young foals around!

I actually rehomed a dog a year ago and one of the main reasons was the way she reacted to my horses. Totaly locked on to them and wanted to chase
default_no.gif
I couldnt put her or the horses through that, especially with young foals around!
how sad Bree, but I'm sure she went to a lovely new home where she got to do exactly what she wanted to!

it's so hard to get everything perfect for all animals isn't it... but we love them all!
default_wub.png

default_saludando.gif
as much as i love ruby iam thinking about getting her a new home
default_no.gif
do you need to go to that extreme yet Jenny? I would try everything possible first! it probably will just take her a while to figure out that baby ponies are not her toys to play with!
default_nono.gif
I'm sure with some training, and tying up she will learn to stay clear of the babies!

I would never be able to rehome any of my dogs...

a list of things to try if you can...

. Chain on a pole, with shelter and water accessible...

. electric fence at places where she is jumping...

. making fences higher so she can't jump... I seem to remember your fences being only fairly short... I think this one is managable...

. have a double fence? so even if she manages to jump one she can't jump the second...

. giving her, her own yard... even if the fence is 6 foot high...

. some doggy training
default_smile.png
they can never have enough in my opinion hehe

. electric device attached to her collar that as soon as she reaches a certain point she gets a small electric shock... I know plenty of my friends that have this... and it works brilliantly! (its not to strong that they get hurt or anything but they get that nice little shock and soon learn... it comes with wire that you place along the ground and when she gets I think its within 2 feet of it it gives her a tiny zap and the closer she gets the stronger the zaps...

just some ideas... because I know I would do anything to keep my puppies!

default_saludando.gif
ruby has all ways been a problam she jumps 2 fences to get to people just walking down the street

and these fences are not really that small she can jump pretty high....and she nevers comes back when

asked to
default_no.gif
i have try the electric dog collars nothing works...
closedeyes.gif

and i no its sounds mean but if she kills one of my foals i will have her PTS

Last edited by a moderator:
how sad Bree, but I'm sure she went to a lovely new home where she got to do exactly what she wanted to!

it's so hard to get everything perfect for all animals isn't it... but we love them all!
default_wub.png

She did, it was really hard but she was a farm bred pure kelpie who really wanted to chase. She found a place on a VERY large cattle property where she can work all day and lounge inside at night. Perfect match.

I think there is more you can do for Ruby. In my case my dog was quite young, I hadn't had her long and the breaking point was I got injured and couldn't work her myself. Things have to be dire and every option exhausted before I shift on an animal. My dog also had a lot of options because of her breed and age, a lot of people had a job and a place for her.

No offence to Ruby but she sounds like a dog with issues and there are plenty of dogs like her in the pounds.

I have a dog with aggression issues so she lives in a cage, I was too afraid to have her around the kids and horses. We have put up a large, high fence and she gets put in there in the morning with her buddy and then at night she gets to sleep in the garage as it is warm. I will take a photo of the fence when and if it ever stops raining
no.gif

default_saludando.gif
i no what you mean about the rain it has been ticking down with rain on and off here all day...

cassie you will be copping more rain soon

Lol how right you are my dear friend!!! Came over a big storm!! Luckily we didn't cop the worst of it! No raining quite heavily but peacefully
default_smile.png
lol time for bed lol
default_smile.png
luckily I thought I would smarties rain rug on just in case lol otherwise he would be very wet right now lol

Have you tried Chaining up ruby yet??

default_saludando.gif
yes i have cained her up but as soon as you let her off she,s over the fence so she,s been in the house all day but she will have to go to the toilet soon....and soon as you let her out the door she,s off again
closedeyes.gif
closedeyes.gif
and she can get in with the foal easy

Put her on a lunge rope to go for a pee and hang on tight so she doesn't pull you over
new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back