Classic K Miniatures thread. pics and updates on my mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do agree with you Diane - less would be more! We could really do with a big cut down, but luckily with all this land we can wait for the perfect homes to come along. Very few of that 41 are actually bred from - three are retired and Nutty retires after this coming foal. One mare has never bred and we dont bother to try any more, neither do we breed from several others which I consider too small. Others are yearlings/2 and 3 year olds that we might breed from in the future. We do have two 4 year olds and one 5 year old that we might breed from next year and give the other regular breeders the year off (actually we usually only breed every other year or every second year from our older girls, but we have been known to have two foals on the trot from the younger mares before their year off).

So you see, most of those 41 are just a 'waste of space'/living the natural life with no effort on their part! LOL!! But breeding is such a long term thing - you get a foal you think might have the potential to be allowed to carry on the line, then you wait years to see them as 'adult', then you perhaps want to try using different stallions to get more foals with the possible potential to carry on with - a never ending circle!!
default_biggrin.png

Oh I just love Prue shes beautiful
default_wub.png
..really wish I had more grazing here certainly a dream for me to see all those ponies in the paddocks from the house
default_wub.png
..my dream pony..a tri colured chunky type mini with masses of hair lol ..a girl can dream eh
default_rolleyes.gif

Oh I just love Prue shes beautiful
default_wub.png
..really wish I had more grazing here certainly a dream for me to see all those ponies in the paddocks from the house
default_wub.png
..my dream pony..a tri colured chunky type mini with masses of hair lol ..a girl can dream eh
default_rolleyes.gif
I certainly agree there Lindi hehe I love to dream! I think I already can tick the chunky mare box ahem suzie LOL but a pinto mmm yep would be very very nice
default_biggrin.png

Well Anna your girls sure don't want for much
biggrin.gif
Can you adopt me
wink.gif
I think you should show us some close ups of a few girls that are open so we can compare. I am NOT going to say they are over weight cos mine are huge
wub.gif
Maybe I will take some pics today.

As for 41
new_shocked.gif
I am speechless but very jealous, as Linda has said that is a dream for many of us
yes.gif

oh wow Diane, that is one HOT boy, this foal is going to be stunning!
wub.gif

Oh Diane he is just magnificent!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

How long have we got to wait before we can really start getting excited about our first view of what will obviously be a fabulous foal?

I just love it when they all greet an old friend and I would give anything to know what they say to each other.

I am crossing my fingers that she is preggo Diane.

Oh what a lovely story Diane! But I know that horses, like elephants, never forget.....years ago when I had a livery yard (big horses) there was a 4 year old (born on the place with me) and another old boy in his early 20's. The old boy used to excort the youngster on the roads during his first rides out. The owner of the old boy took him away to live at her own house, but some 4 years later he was at a local show doing the veteran class and by chance the young horse, now an 8 year old, was also there competing. For some reason the young horse happened to neigh at something, and the old boy immediately lifted his head and answered to then be answered with great excitment by the younger one. Neither owner knew that the other one was at the show, but eventually, by following the sounds of the two horses they let them meet. Oh what a joyful session of meeting and greeting (I was told), but after it was over, they were both quite happy to go their own separate ways. But 4 years is quite a time to simply be remembering a friend's neigh!!

WOW Diane he is STUNNING!!!!!

this foal is going to be absolotuly gorgeous...

and excuse me, but none of you answered my question,... ah hem!

"do you Diane and Anna put your mares on Marestare?? so we can watch them foaling??"

thankyou
default_rolleyes.gif

I am not putting mine on, I am going to keep them all to myself

ROFL

Dont think we will be doing marestare Cassie, for several reasons. Mainly the expense, although things might hopefully have changed by next July which is when we will be foaling.

Secondly, although I would love to share our foaling experiences with all you lovely folk here, we always have someone sitting up with our mares anyway - one person who is wide awake and can wake up the second person with time to get dressed, suited and booted, and have a wake-up cuppa and be all prepared before a mare starts to foal. (we have had a few false alarms with this method, but better to be wide awake by 'mistake' than miss a foaling, is the way we think). So while any of you would be welcome to watch, there would be no need for scrambling to make contact with us if someone was going into labour.

I know this year was different as I was not well and had to leave the whole thing to Cathy (and Hamish for the odd 'sit in' to give Cathy a break) even then Cathy was able to phone me before Mummy foaled which almost gave me enough time to pee the dog before shutting her in, to find some warm clothes plus drive over to her place for the birth - arrived just as Cathy was clearing the bag from the little fellas front end. I expect we shall be foaling at Cathy's place again next year, but this time I hope to be able to take a more active part.

I did share a foaling once with several internet friends, back when we all had webcams and I just set my laptop and webcam up in Nutty's stable as she went into labour, it was a bit dark, but they managed to watch, so it worked quite well! Could always think about doing that again (if we dont marestare) for those of you willing to rummage around to find those old cams that we once thought so great!
default_yes.gif

I am not putting mine on, I am going to keep them all to myself

ROFL
HAHA Renee, I already know that you put your girls on marestare... thats why I didn't ask silly... and you BETTER have your girls up otherwise I will be very cranky tsk tsk tsk LOL

thats fair enough Diane and Anna, I just knew that we hadn't discussed it so I was curious hehe thankyou for explaining
default_yes.gif

ok Renee, a question for you! do you foal your mares in paddocks or stables?? I know that you have a great stable set up so I gather you will be... but just checking
default_yes.gif

we just moved one herd of our cows, calves and bull this morning... always tricky with week old calves at foot, cos they get scared much easier, but if we get the used to crossing roads and changing paddocks at an earlier stage we find that they do better
default_biggrin.png
so of our yearlings will be going to market on Thursday and some on Tuesday to another breeder, he buys them off us then fattens them up on mountain grass then sells them.
default_biggrin.png
its a good system...

we are also planning on downsizing our cows, and probably going to sell some with calves at foot... a bit sad, but I 'm excited cos it means we can keep better control of matings with the bulls and get out cows and calves in REALLY good nick thats the plan anyway!

I am SO confused by Penny... I don't know what to think...
default_wacko.png
I think I might just ring Mark and ask if there is ANY possible chance she is in foal... WDIK!

Cassie is confused cos she didn't know a pony could give birth to a Bunny
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif

Cassie is confused cos she didn't know a pony could give birth to a Bunny
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
What about a Joey?? I have seen the photos of the kangaroos in the paddock... she's been exposed
aktion033.gif
I would like to claim that baby once it has arrived!!

LOL!! You two are quite mad!!
default_rolleyes.gif

Now Cassie, as Diane says, why are you confused about Penny? I really dont know why folks in general jump up and down and get all hot under the collar about whether their mare is in foal or not!
default_rolleyes.gif

If she is, she is and if she's not, she's not! It is that simple!
default_yes.gif

If she is, are you going to wrap her up in cotton wool, are you going to double her food, are you going to panic everytime she has a roll or chases around her field etc etc? No! Of course you are not going to..........ARE YOU!

So where is the reason to get confused or worry? You will continue as normal - looking after her, rugging her if needed, normal feed, feedom and grooming, plus making progress as her best friend. When she gets to around 4 weeks from foaling she will start increasing her udder and this will give you plenty of time to decide whether to have her in Suzie's stable to foal or to work on the place next door (personally, if you think she might fret at being stabled alone, I would keep Suzie and Finn in their stable for company and use the one next door).

See - no need to worry PLUS you have sucessfully been through all this before, so this time it is not new to you. So just relax my friend and go with the flow!
default_aktion033.gif

I Love the totally chilled out n laid back attitude Anna..your an insiration to us all and we only have a few mares me just 1 lol..it has to be all that green stuff and the fresh Welsh air blowing over the hills..or is it whats in the
default_smokesmile.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Back