Caps on teeth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
Don't know if this is a topic that has been discussed anytime recently; but I am looking for a little information on it: I have been told the "bumps" on each side of the bridge of a young (2 years) horse's nose are from caps on the first teeth and will disappear when the caps come off the permanent teeth. Yes or no? Is it a "sure thing" it will happen and the bumps will disappear? And when do these caps usually come off (I think I get dumber every year of owning horses LOL!!!).
default_doh.gif

Yes, 2 is about when you'll see the bumps forming. My horses bumps have mostly been on the lower jaw but it happens on both upper and lower, so I don't think there's anything to worry about. As long as the horse is eating/drinking normally, just keep an eye on the bumps. Before you know it, you'll forget about them and then all of a sudden, they're gone!

One of my two years developed her "bumps" in May/June this year and I was worried about how it would effect her with regards to showing. Your post made me realize that I hadn't seen the bumps for some time now. That's how quickly they can go away.

Tooth bumps are caused by the eruption of the permanent teeth. Some horses don't get them much; other horses are pretty noticeable. They can have them on top or bottow jaws or both. Starting at about 2 years of age and running until the horse is 4 or 5. Normally, they will go away on their own, but if very large, it pays to have a vet or equine dentist check the mouth to make sure the teeth are shedding properly.

OK tell me more about these " tooth bumps". I have my first 2 young horses after years of older horse ownership. My 3 year old currently has a round firm lump under her jaw between the jawbones that seemed to appear overnight, although it could have been there for some time. I recently trimmed my billy goats beards in preparation for winter as that hair under the chin/jaw gets wet and frozen. So I may not have noticed this lump if I hadn't trimmed them. The lump is not attached to bone and seems to be non-tender. Does this sound like what you are talking about? Her temp is normal, no nasal discharge. I know she lost her front teeth this past summer. Could this be related to a molar shedding? My vet hasn't come out, she had me start her on antibiotics prophalactically (sp?) anyway, and to watch it. Sound like an abcess? Or is this a "tooth bump"?? She's eating, drinking, and taking a bit/driving normally....

Katie

She may have to have those caps pulled by an equine dentist or vet. They don't always shed them on their own. My gelding had major swelling around his face and neck. He had that caps irritating his cheek causing sores Carl pulled the caps at the World show and I gave him antibiotics. My Vet totally missed it, thought it was allergies and put him on steroids before we left for Worlds. As soon as the caps were off, he started to get better.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK tell me more about these " tooth bumps". I have my first 2 young horses after years of older horse ownership. My 3 year old currently has a round firm lump under her jaw between the jawbones that seemed to appear overnight, although it could have been there for some time. I recently trimmed my billy goats beards in preparation for winter as that hair under the chin/jaw gets wet and frozen. So I may not have noticed this lump if I hadn't trimmed them. The lump is not attached to bone and seems to be non-tender. Does this sound like what you are talking about? Her temp is normal, no nasal discharge. I know she lost her front teeth this past summer. Could this be related to a molar shedding? My vet hasn't come out, she had me start her on antibiotics prophalactically (sp?) anyway, and to watch it. Sound like an abcess? Or is this a "tooth bump"?? She's eating, drinking, and taking a bit/driving normally....

Katie
The tooth bumps are located on the jawbone--I really cannot say what the lump you're describing is, but if it's between the jaw bones and not on or attached to the bone then it isn't a tooth bump. I've never seen anything like that related to teething, but hard to say what it is. It could be something as harmless as a fly bite--I've had those swell up and form a hard bump in some cases.

Sometimes they don't shed properly or quickly enough and the bumps calcify, remaining visible on the face. That isn't the norm, though. Horses get the eruption bumps at 2-3 and by 4-5 they are usually gone. Vets and dentists who don't often treat minis aren't always familiar with this. I've been told that the caps will just get crushed, that they don't retain them, but that is obviously false.

Sometimes they don't shed properly or quickly enough and the bumps calcify, remaining visible on the face. That isn't the norm, though. Horses get the eruption bumps at 2-3 and by 4-5 they are usually gone. Vets and dentists who don't often treat minis aren't always familiar with this. I've been told that the caps will just get crushed, that they don't retain them, but that is obviously false.

Royal had evidence of infection under his caps, so I agree with you. It is not something to wait on. They can be really uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, everyone, have your youngster's teeth checked for unshed caps! Lately one of mine was found to have an unshed cap between two permanent molars. Not only was it growing sideways into the cheek, but it caused the molars to be out of line. It was a HUGE ordeal to get it removed. He is going every 6 weeks now for dental work to keep the molars straight.

I'm annoyed, as the vet I drove 3 hours one way for regular dental care did not catch the cap sticking out of the side. Maybe he thought it would fall out by itself? I wish it had!

Yep I always have Carl check ALL my horses, regardless of age, when he comes- just to make sure and if they dont need anything- then there's no charge. But at least I know. I just hate the 'tooth bump' age, LOL

Can someone post photos of the tooth bumps on the top of the face? I have seen them before under the jaw, but never on the top. I'd really like to see what they look like on top, as a friend of mine has a 2 1/2 year old that has a funny looking face, like there is a ridge down each side, making her look like she has a really wide, strange looking face. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back