Marlanoc Foal Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
default_saludando.gif
come on the buckskins I to would love a buckskin
default_wub.png
what colour are the parents to yours

Wow! Rivain is so big! big mama!

I can see progress too!
aktion033.gif

Wow...Rivian's udder is really coming along!! So exciting...all these new babies to watch for!!!

PS. I adore a buckskin....especially one with bling!
default_wub.png

Thanks for the support everyone! Buckskin filly with bling is my breeding goal!

Rivain being a bay with bling and Palli being a palomino give me the best chance of it, of course we all know those white markings don't always play ball.

Rivain didn't set the alarm off at all last night but she only set it off briefly at 6am the day before and I think that was when she was grooming her friend. Looks like she's not one to take a long stretched out snooze now that she's so big, which is good for my own snoozing!

Oh that udder has come a long way. Very exciting.

Sorry I havent been keeping up with the ladies the last couple of days but its been hectic here.

More milk in the udder this morning! Rivain has also gone from being...well... a total tart who hangs out with her best friends and flirts with the geldings over the fence (she was doing this three weeks ago!) to going off on her own to graze. She still comes back to check in with the other girls but mostly she's off on her own.

oooo so exciting Bree, can I ask did you go out one morning and just find her udder huge? or did it slowly fill from those last pics to the recent ones??

curious with Suzie, cos she waas looking alot like the ones just before Rivian went huge...
default_yes.gif

how are they looking now?

Rivain has been a pretty slow and steady filler, so has Ashanti. At first the differences were obvious 24 to 48 hours apart but now Rivain's changes are clear on each check (morning and afternoon) so either things are speeding up or it's all just more obvious now that she is at this size.

Right now all the girls are together but I think that's down to the herd rather then Rivain, she seems to prefer the lower part of the paddock away from the geldings and my stallions. She's pretty close with two of the other mares and they keep going over to check her and somtimes the rest of the herd follows. She's become a little more withdrawn from me, normally she is content to greet me and get a quick face rub but now she'll move away from me and it takes awhile to catch and check her which I keep as breif as I can. Rivain has had a foal before, a few years ago, and she turned very foal proud so it is somthing I'll be watching out for.

WOW!! There certainly some HUGE changes going on!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

She's really getting close - you must be getting very excited Bree!

Are you stabling her at nights? I personally would never choose to foal a mare outside for two reasons. Mainly in case the mare needed help - not easy if they are outside as they will often just get up and move away if you try to approach, however 'friendly' they are under normal circumstances, and secondly, and just as important, the first foal of the season always causes curiosity amongst the other girls and the new Momma needs to rest quietly after foaling, not just for her own good, but to allow the extra last blood/nutrients to pass between her and the foal via the cord. Not good for her to have to jump quickly to her feet to protect her new baby from other nosey mares, plus baby can get trampled accidently by one of the other mares or even by its Momma as she rushes to and fro to keep everyone away.

Sorry if you are already stabling her, but not sure if you have said this.

All that said, I would think you will be having a new little one (a buckskin filly of course!) before very long.
default_yes.gif
Keep the pictures coming please!

Hey Anna, at the moment I am foaling down in the paddock. Few of my girls are truely comfortable in the stables or the existing yards so the extra stress of seperating them is not worth it. We do have plans to build a new shelter for the girls to use which will have an additional shelter and yard attached so that the girls can foal down without truely being removed from their friends, sadly that is not ready this season!

I really can't wait for the foals to begin showing up! I've been chatting to them for months now and I really can't wait to meet them
default_biggrin.png

Argh! My foaling alarm just DIED!

Rivain soaked it last night so we've had to pull it apart to dry it out and attempt to get it working again. Otherwise it looks like I'll be getting up a lot during the night to check her, and I don't like doing it that way because she could easily start up in between checks
default_no.gif
:No-Sad That alarm better dry out and work!

So what does everyone think? With the demise of my foal alarm are things close enough for me to give up on sleep and exist on caffeine?

ashanti and rivain 2008.jpg

rivain 2008 back.jpg

rivain 2008 udderback.jpg

rivain 2008udderside.jpg

I going to guess Wednesday/Thursday..but dont think you can take your eyes off them
default_no.gif
so exciting so close
default_aktion033.gif

That's kind of what I'm thinking at this point, she's got a bit more udder work to go but she could do that in an hour or a week! I certainly don't think she'll go past her day 336 deadline of 1st of September!

Looks like the girls will start getting some nightly visits.

I think you might have a few more days to go, but she is ready enough to go at any time!
default_yes.gif

I do know what you mean about the mares not wanting to be apart from their friends - we have the same problem with ours! When we first moved here we just had a barn that was flooded to work with. We had to pile loads and loads of old straw and hay into it and eventually managed to bring the 'floor' up to nearly 2 foot above base - everything pummelled down hard - then a load of clean straw on top of all that. Some hastily home made partitions and we were as ready for the mares as we could be. Certainly not ideal but we often have to make do with what we have available! I'm sure your girls will be fine foaling outside (after all a lot of mares do) and, as you say, it will probably be less stressful for them if they dont like being apart from their friends.

Hope your 'alarm' dries out!!

oh Bree!! how awful! my alarm died on me a few months back, can't get it to reach to the stable now
no.gif
which was why I put suzie up on marestare lol

does Rivian usually get the pointy down teats? looks like she could still get that but I don't really know that much hehe

keep us updated!! thinking of you tonight! hoping that the weather has setttled for you lot down there so your not out there in the pouring rain!!
yes.gif

I think Rivain dunked her head (and thus the transmitter) into the trough and shorted somthing out
default_wacko.png
we'll see what happens when I try to get it to work again tomorrow!

It's been a little while since Rivain's first foal so her old owner's couldn't remember her usual pattern of behaviour. I'm guessing she has a bit more to fill, her teats as you mentioned could still go pointy and as she has done everything else so smoothly I think I'll see that and probably some waxing before I see a foal.

It's just a bit unnerving to lose the alarm, being a newbie breeder I've never foaled down without it! I'm hoping my instincts don't steer me wrong
default_new_shocked.gif

And the weather has settled, we have a lovely week ahead of us
default_laugh.png

Ashanti has a lot of V and little udder. Slight filling but mostly no action, not like Rivain. Might be normal for her though
default_wacko.png

Mares!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back