Weight of alfalfa cubes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone fed alfalfa cubes, and if so, could anyone weigh 6 cubes, and 8 cubes?

Our new horse comes home next week and his alfalfa was fed by quanity, not weight. I dont feed alfalfa cubes, I feed chopped bagged alfalfa instead. I worry about choke and with the chopped I dont have to soak. I dont want to buy a bag of cubes just to weigh 6 and 8 of them.

thanks!

Here's the problem each cube is never the same weight. I weigh mine and usually I get about 6 different size cubes and they are .25 of a pound.

The thing is cubes are not just different sizes but also different densities. What I am talking about is you may get cubes that are really pressed tight and real hard (can hardly break them) and sometimes they are loose and crumbly. They are much to inconsistent of product to say 6-8 cubes weigh this much.

The thing is cubes are not just different sizes but also different densities. What I am talking about is you may get cubes that are really pressed tight and real hard (can hardly break them) and sometimes they are loose and crumbly. They are much to inconsistent of product to say 6-8 cubes weigh this much.

Correct which is what I was trying to say. Is there anyway the previous owners can weigh them for you?

If I had to guess you can go from anywhere to .25 to .50 of a pound. But thats just a guess.

Ask his current owner if you can get a small quantity of the cubes he is currently eating; that way you can do the slow change over (just soak the cubes so you don't have to worry about choke) and weigh the 6-8 cubes he is currently getting.

I couldn't begin to know how much that would weigh... here, our cubes come in varying sizes (some break off small, and others are extruded and hold together and make longer heavier cubes). Does the owner go for the largest cubes, medium ones, or make smaller ones together count as "one"?

I would ask the owner to weigh the current feed. Otherwise, I'd just give the horse 1.5% of his body weight in hay once he arrives and adjust from there. (Horses should get a minimum of 1% of their body weight per day... hard keepers or horses getting regular work may require up to 2%).

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back