How to Make a Miniature Pony Harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
Since, as they say, these are "Tips from people like you," I thought you'd all be interested in this knowledgeable ehow page:

How to Make a Miniature Pony Harness

Miniature Ponies need harnesses too. This is an easy how to on how to make a homemade mini pony harness...

Instructions

Things You'll Need

* STRONG Material

* Sewing knowledge

* Strong tread

* Tape measure

* Buckles

1. First, you'll need to measure your pony. Take measurements around the neck where the harness would lie, down the spine, and around the belly of the horse. You never want a harness that is too tight, you don't want to hurt the pony.

2. once you have your measurements, you'll need to cut your material for the straps. A good choice is leather, canvas, or nylon. The stronger the better. If you would like to make a satin harness, go for it, but it might not last. Cut your fabric into the strips, for extra strength, double the fabric. Sew the pieces together, be sure to double stitch, for extra strength. Be sure to leave extra room at the ends for the buckles. To secure them, place the end of the strap through the metal loop, fold into the inside of the layers, and sew.

3. Once you have all your straps sewn, you can strap up your pony. The buckles should be easy to get to. One on the back of the neck, and 2 along the back of the pony. This way you can get the harness on and off easily.

Tips & Warnings

* If you cant sew, how about ropes, with slip knots? Not good enough? Try buying a pony harness.

* Pony's can kick you. Be careful.

http://www.ehow.com/...ny-harness.html

Now that is good knowledge, for sure.
default_wacko.png
Such detailed instructions they give, and it sounds so simple & easy to make!

I am glad that I hadn't seen this tidbit of helpfulness before now.
default_laugh.png

Now don't we all feel stupid for spending hundreds of $$$ on a harness when we could have sewn one ourselves? I especially want one out of satin....it would just be so pretty!! I am off to fire up the old sewing machine! (Tongue firmly in cheek)

I'm with Peggy- why have we all been complaining that biothane was too shiny when we could have been going with SATIN?!
default_new_rofl.gif
My goodness, how "special."

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think the sequined micro dot would be much snazzier
default_new_multi.gif
! And we could get some real sharp ones done up for the halloween season with the fabrics available for then
default_new_rofl.gif
- or even one for every season and holiday- why not!
default_risa8.gif

I'm going to try my hand at a macramé harness, but knowing Mingus, I'd better heed their warning that ponies can kick!

Ooohh, oooo, oooo--I just remembered--I have a drawer full of material that I once bought to use in a parade outfit--I have oodles of silver satin and black w/silver velvet...I am QUITE sure that I can make that all into a lovely silver & black show harness. If I use it only for showing, the satin and velvet should hold up quite well, don't ya think??
default_laugh.png

What about a velcro? You could line the saddle with it so it will stick to their long hair in the winter. hmmm, could even go girthless in winter.
default_aktion033.gif

I have a drawer full of safety pins...do I even need a harness?

My pony will only be pulling a red wagon with my two toddlers and their puppy, and the shoulder of our highway is somewhat level. A couple of times they hooked the wagon handle to his halter, but he kicked the wagon and sent them all flying -- does that mean he isn't happy?

Man, all that money we coulda saved on our Lutke and Mini Express harnesses if I woulda made my own outta ribbon! I feel so STUPID!

Hey, instead of a Jerald think I could use a wheelbarrow? I think the handles would make perfect shafts! And think how WELL that would corner with one wheel!

If you go on ebay and search on "new red miniature horse drawn harness" you will find a harness on a miniature horse worthy of this string of conversation....
default_wacko.png
just kidding... it is worth going to look at the sad hideous rig somebody has put on a poor little mini and hooked to a very big cart with a not so small driver... ...The fit of the harness it is awful and the little mini is struggling to pull that big rig with no support from any of the harness parts. I also think his eye is looking out over the blinker in the one photo..

I can't post the photos but now that you are intrigued... go check it out.. and see what you think.... Quick, you might be able to buy it and use it to pattern more harnesses just like it. Be sure you enlarge the photos to get the full visual.
default_wink.png

Poor little horse, I wonder where it lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go on ebay and search on "new red miniature horse drawn harness" you will find a harness on a miniature horse worthy of this string of conversation....
default_wacko.png
just kidding... it is worth going to look at the sad hideous rig somebody has put on a poor mini and hooked to a very big cart with a not so small driver... ...The fit of the harness will amaze you.

I can't post the photos but now that you are intrigued... go check it out.. and see what you think.... Quick, you might be able to buy it and use it to pattern more harnesses just like it. Be sure you enlarge the photos to get the full visual.
default_wink.png
What a sin...and that poor little thing is pulling as hard as it can...with the breastplate almost at it's knees.
default_no.gif
default_sad.png

Hey, instead of a Jerald think I could use a wheelbarrow? I think the handles would make perfect shafts! And think how WELL that would corner with one wheel!
Hey, my breaking cart is a wheelbarrow- no seriously, years ago I bought what is now a very expensive, two wheeled wheelbarrow then had my farrier make me up a set of shafts that slot in where the handles (which are removable) slot out.

Apart from my friend nearly having a choking fit laughing at me and saying I looked like a garden gnome (to be fair I was sitting on an old car battery in the back of said wheelbarrow....) it works just fine.

Oh my! Poor litle guy! That little guy is in Jasper, MO according to their Ebay store.

My pair pulled my uh... self.... w/ a ride on disk. But the minute we hit the plowed ground that the Drafters had already set up - it was too deep for them and I was oof the disk and steering them to the outside of the plot. But they had gumption and heart! My link The Hafflinger Farmer (dont know his real name) told me if I get the other ponies trained and do them as a 4 abreast hitch that the shets wouldn't have any problems pulling this same disk in this same type of field...

I braid my training harness(s) from recycled haystring. It DOES work - but itsn't as simple as what that writeup said!! And certainly takes time... Have yet to make a "saddle" but that's ok - have a couple of other ones that fit my ponies and I just use those in conjunction w/ the headstall, lines, balancing side reins, breast collars/traces, hip strap assembly w/ crupper and breeching. Braiding these items uses a re-cyclable resource and gives me something to do when going places w/ freinds' that drive (I think I spent 8 hours each way braiding when we went up to OH to Amish harness country to visit harness & carriage shops). I have to do something with my hands while on the road.

I'm tweaking the way I make the harness now. Just something for me to do - when not dealing w/ training ponies or our farmette! Don't ask how long it takes - haven't tracked it properly. Also, other than the drive up to OH the weekend of the 4th, I don't regularly braid over the summer. I have a new one that is done -then I realized I don't have holdback straps or if used as a work type harness doesn't have quarter straps or lazy straps... oops. Need to make those parts now!

Now making my traces as double layers. My first "harness" is 1 1/2 yrs old now & showing definite signs of wear (getting ready to replace the traces w/ double layered ones)... Need to put up pics of the double layered traces. They aren't the end product - just a means to an end. They work for training - and require little to no maintenance. They also seem to be soft/forgiving - the ponies aren't bothered by the haystring. One set of my training lines are 20' and the other is 25'. I now purchase SS hardware from the shop that I purchased my work harness from... Some of my original headstall/harness hardware for the ponies were the ones from broken or old bridles/halters etc. Again, I'm thrifty and like to recycle. I also know what happens when you get in a pony driving wreck and I check my harness and hardware before each hook/hitch and also check it whenever I stop the ponies for practice or a breather... I have no problem with cutting a braided harness - unlike the hesitation I had when I had a wreck with a heavy, well constructed leather training harness - when a young pony and I hit a ground wasp nest in our pasture on her 3rd hook. My hesitation created more problems w/ the harness & the shafts of a sulky jog cart. I never got her over the fear that that wreck created (remember I am still a green driver - but sent her to two pro trainers and they didn't fair any better. She seemed more fearful when she came back from the one, actually). She went on to become a fantastic child's hunter pony - so she moved into a different job...

O - I have plenty of haystring to recycle as we use 7 - 10 round bales a month...

BUT as I can - I am getting harness for our ponies. Both single and pair - pleasure type & working type. Since my goal is to eventually show in ASPC/AMHR breed show ring - I will also need a show harness and cart (sigh - too much different equipment!!). LOL.

Latest posts

Back