Sign in to follow this  
REO

UPSIDE DOWN FOALS

Excellent information REO. Thank you for sharing. Hope I never have to use it, but I'll certainly keep it for future. Hmmm, been foaling mares for over 40 years and never had an upside down...Oops, probably jinxed that. :unsure

Charlotte

Please click here to view our members Mini Horses, Ponies, and Tack for Sale ads!

I had one presenting upside down some years back. Caught me by surprise that's for sure! While I was contemplating how to resolve the situation, the mare got up, turned around and layed back down on the other side. When I checked again, the foal had turned over and was delivered normally with no issues. Sure had me going for a moment or two!

Kim, Kismet, my Very tight maiden was the upside down one! It did work :)

I *might* have two more maidens to foal out this year, if the outside mares that are bred to Pooka come to me to be foaled out. His first babies! :wub

Maidens..AHHHH!!!!!! LOL

Thanks for posting this Robin - I will be printing this off and reading a few more times.

thankyou , great info Reo , nothing beats experience and sharing those experiences helps us all

Thanks, really informative, copied and saved.

I love this post. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing.

Excellent info, thanks for sharing it Robin! The upside down foal trick could really be a life-saver. :yes

I had a maiden mare this year whose vulva never looked relaxed, and it was a tight fit for her foal. Luckily the foal was very small and with my help was delivered just fine. The mare was exhausted and quite surprised when she finally got the energy to look behind her to see a foal. She's turned out to be a great mother though.

I also check inside my mares right away if I don't see anything coming. I've saved three red-bag foals this way. :yes

Thanks Robin for posting your tips!! They're now in my foaling tips folder! :) I too live so far out that if I don't get the foal out it will likely die, so I'm always glad to get new tips!

Sign in to follow this