Possible Birth/Miscarriage?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I was outside doing my chores tonight and I was just watching my mare, Bow, who is about 280 days along. She was acting very, "off".

-She didn't eat more than half of her feed.

Usually she scarfs it down

-She then preceded to walk away into a small corner of our barn.

When one of the fillies walked up towards her Bow pinned her ears back and whipped her head up. The OTHER filly was out eating the rest of Bow's feed (they have the same feed, and I was in the middle of letting them out anyways) and Bow didn't even care. Normally Bow would be guarding her feed with her life.

-While she was standing in her corner she was standing how a lot of pregnant mares do with their hind legs almost crossed. You know?

So, this odd behavior for Bow caused me to check her over. Her bag is fine, and has no milk. BUT, her vulva was darker than usual?
confused.gif

I did however see and feel the fetus move tonight, but that doesn't mean anything....

I left Bow in the stall tonight and I'll check on her later tonight and in the morning. If she's acting odd I'll have my mom mention it to the vet since she'll be calling her anyways for a gelding appointment.

Does this at all sound odd to any of you guys for an experienced broodmare (9 years old and in her 6th pregnancy) who usually foals around 349 days and has miscarried previously? (2008 in January)

I know I've posted about Bow and her pregnancy quiet often lately but I'm a paranoid person when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks,

Julia

To me it sounds like an uncomfy, heavy in foal mare
default_wink.png
My girls are not quite as far along as yours (about 30 days behind) and they have slowed way down on feed intake (still eating the full amount, just takes them longer to finish, there's days where they'll eat a little and leave grain/hay for later), have been super moody/grouchy and just want to be left alone. At this point there's not much room for the baby or for food in the belly! and I'm sure that foal is laying funky, kicking and poking around in there making her super uncomfy. Of course with that said, I'd keep an eye on her to be safe and if something else arises or you feel it would ease your mind, have the vet out to check her over
default_yes.gif

To me it sounds like an uncomfy, heavy in foal mare
default_wink.png
My girls are not quite as far along as yours (about 30 days behind) and they have slowed way down on feed intake (still eating the full amount, just takes them longer to finish, there's days where they'll eat a little and leave grain/hay for later), have been super moody/grouchy and just want to be left alone. At this point there's not much room for the baby or for food in the belly! and I'm sure that foal is laying funky, kicking and poking around in there making her super uncomfy. Of course with that said, I'd keep an eye on her to be safe and if something else arises or you feel it would ease your mind, have the vet out to check her over
default_yes.gif
Haha, thanks.

She did seem very uncomfortable today. The baby has been very active today. Today I was standing no more than 6 feet away and I could see her whole flank shudder and her belly move from the fetus. That was a first for this pregnancy! I can tell that she's gonna have a stinker!
wub.gif

I'll be keeping an eye on her just in case.

The foal moving around caused the blood vessels to break (dark vulva) and for her to not want to eat. If I had a horse bouncing in my tummy, I wouldn't want to eat either LOL!

Is there a way she can eat alone so she can take her time eating and get all the feed that she needs at this time?

Give her a hug!
default_yes.gif

I love it when people care about their mares as you do!
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back