who all stil cans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterridgefarm

Reaction score
I would like to see who all still does. We do from green beans to tomatoes.

so far this year i have put up 14 jars of green beans and about 25 jars of tomatoes.

I would like to do more but with NO rain our garden is about done with. I would like to put enough up to get us till next summer but that will not happen.

Please tell who still cans or is it a dying thing in your area too

We do here sometimes! When we plant beets we pickle them and can them. It is still pretty common up here in ND and MN because so many people have gardens and grow their own food.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a black thumb and can't seem to grow much of anything, so quit trying.

Lots of canning still done here in sw OK. People freeze most things, but there is still canning going on. I've mostly put up fruit so far this year, and some pickles. My beans are just now coming on. Don't know if I will have enough to can, though.

I went to a workshop put on by the Extension office last week. It was about what judges look for at the Fair. Though I took a Master Food Perserver class many years ago, I did not know that jellies/jams should be 1/4" from top and the liquid for canned items should be 1/2". The screw rings on the jar are at those measurements. Also judges like to see the brand name on the lid match the direction of the jar name!!!

I might make some more pickles and try for those goals.

It was a good year for fruit in my area so I'm sure there will be lots of entries at the fair this year.

I do freeze things, but with our power outages lately, I'm thinking canning might be a better way to go. I prefer my tomatoes dehydrated. They are easier to use in many recipies.

I saw a good way to freeze squash: grate it into muffin tins then freeze. After it's frozen you pop them into a large freezer bag; then you can take them out as individual servings. That works much better than trying to work with a giant frozen blob of squash.

Chandab, maybe your thumb isn't black, it's furry. That is how I heard an animal lover describe her thumb lately. She said she didn't have a Green thumb she had a Furry thumb!

I never learned to can, although my mother did it. I do freeze, though.

I Do! I love to preserve stuff and have been freezing and canning for the last 3 weeks. So far I've put up snap beans, okra, tomatoes, bell pepper and squash... last week I finished up the corn, (in the south there is special type of creamed corn you can only get if you do it yourself). This week I've been doing salsa and some jellies, sweet and hot pepper jelly..I make jalapeno watermelon jelly.

We have cantaloupes and watermelon out the ying yang.. I've even dried some.

I am waiting for all the peas and beans to come in now.

I'd love to see others recipes.

We do!
saludando.gif
I never canned until we came to Kentucky and got a garden!

My mom canned some when we were kids, but never taught me how.

Hubbys brother taught us how to can peppers, tomato juice, salsa, pickles and green beans. He also cans venison and saurkraut(sp?).

We all get together when the veggies come in and can together. Between the 2 brothers and the family farm we have 3 gardens to put up.

I freeze alot, usually corn and green beans, but this year we canned the beans. Hope they turn out!

We do...tomatoes and make salsa. Can our chili peppers, jalepenos. We blanch our beans and freeze them. So far the only thing ready up here is beans...we did those last week...chili peppers will be this week I think. Our califlower and brocolli didn't make it this year...got some worms and we didn't get rid of them in time.

I put 15 jars of tomatoes up today!!!!!!!! I give them a hot bath and take the skin off of them and cut them it fours and cook for about 15 mins then can them with 1 teaspoon salt in them.

i have done hot peppers the last couple of weeks. I would like to learn how to make pepper jelly. can someone share the way you do it

thanks

diane

Just for the record..........

It may not be a bad thing to LEARN HOW TO CAN.........not to mention to start growing your own vegies, if you don't already.

Here is one of my Pepper Jelly recipes Diane

1/4 cup of Jalapenos or I use a mixture of Jalapeno, Habenaro and Cayenne. Seed and de-vein according to how hot you want it.

3/4 cup of green bell pepper, can add a little of the red too if you want to color it better. -also can replace some of this with hot pepper again depending on how hot you like it.

Grind and measure.

1 1/2 Cups of Apple Cider Vinegar and 6 cups of Sugar.

Combine all ing. and mix well in a large stainless steel stock pot. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3 to 5 minutes.

Add 6 oz. liquid Pectin

Boil again for 5 to 10 minutes, remove from fire and skim. When Jelly begins to thicken slightly, pour into your jars. To make it a mint color add a little green food color if desired.

I also process mine in a water bath for 5 to 7 minutes but some don't and it's fine.

PS wear gloves and don't lean over the pot and sniff lol

I have a huge bag of peas I am supposed to can. I really have to get to it. I also make an awesome strawberry jam with low sugar. I have to buy the berries for that though.

I do, my husband has a huge garden and I can or freeze most of it. I just made a batch of strawberry jam 2 weeks ago, I had to buy berries for that though but they were local ones bought from the mennonites. We don't have any tomatoes yet but they are nearly ready and we have already dug our first new crop of potatoes.They taste yummy
default_biggrin.png

Pete cans, Judy and I stay far away from it. Also freezes beans and corn which we are still working on from last year. Never did get to the canned corn and beans. He also did raspberry jelly and I was going to do my own sugar free version but never got roundtoit.

We didn't have to buy veg at all for the past year.

Just for the record..........

It may not be a bad thing to LEARN HOW TO CAN.........not to mention to start growing your own vegies, if you don't already.

You are so right on this. The way things are at this moment I think everone is trying to save. At least we are. I still have some from last year. I have to think my Mother in Law for teaching me how to do this. She is the best. she comes from long lines of doing this.

I freeze, don't have time to can, but I would love to do it again. I have already tucked away in the freezer: strawberry jam, blueberries, strawberries, sugar peas, peas, corn, green peppers, green beans, and basil.

I have a lot of yellow squash and want to freeze some, but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't think it would have to be blanched, can it be frozen raw? I also want to try freezing some corn on the cob, and I want to do some other herbs & veggies too.

I freeze, don't have time to can, but I would love to do it again. I have already tucked away in the freezer: strawberry jam, blueberries, strawberries, sugar peas, peas, corn, green peppers, green beans, and basil.

I have a lot of yellow squash and want to freeze some, but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't think it would have to be blanched, can it be frozen raw? I also want to try freezing some corn on the cob, and I want to do some other herbs & veggies too.

Kim,

This is from my MIL she said to blanched the squash and then let it cool down the freeze.She said that you can do a quick cool by putting ice over it in the sink

Hope you enjoy the squash ours did not do anything got some kind of bug on them and killed my plants. This has been a fun topic

I would like to learn how to can apples and peaches that sounds like fun

Diane

I think canning is coming back somewhat. People here seem to be getting more back into having gardens. My mom taught me how to can after I got married, 13 years ago. I did not do much canning until last year and I went crazy with it!
default_laugh.png
I still have pickles in the pantry from last year that we are trying to finish up.

How long do things last that are canned?

I froze some of my squash last year but the texture was just not the same. Some of my squash I made bread & butter squash pickles out of. Wonder if I could bread it and then freeze it so it would be ready for fried squash? I like the idea of shredding it and putting it in muffin tins to get portions frozen; that would be nice for meatloafs and such.

My husband bought all the supplies needed to can including an expensive pressure cooker and a MESS of jars. He got reciepe books and everything.... but he just didn't realize HOW MUCH FOOD IS NEEDED to make a single jar.
default_blush.png
Our garden is pretty big, but we can't keep the critters out of it (we live in the woods!) so we'll have to do something different next year.... and make a bigger garden.
default_smile.png
My grandma used to can and make jelly, and it was SOOOOO good.
default_smile.png
Looking forward to next year.

Latest posts

Back