Warning @ Banamine injections(IM)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for this post. We usually do the banamine orally but sometimes when we have a vet call they will inject.

No more
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

Horrid, poor horse!!!

Just another heads up on horse management...any shot, any time, can do this...and worse...whether vet administered...or not.

Just three years ago I lost my newly gelded stallion to a SIMPLE (Vet administered) penicillin shot; yet I am not telling everyone to not use penicillin. One has to use common sense.

Please note this was given IM, not IV. IV is acceptable and safe (if you know how to properly administer it, you want DARK blood, NOT BRIGHT RED). Orally is effective as well.

This is an old thread that someone necroed.

I will say though that years ago someone posted on here showing a mini mare this happened to. Pics were much worse than this one. She had gotten the shot in her chest and the whole thing swelled and had to be opened.

Saw this happen to an arab mare about 15 years ago, so I am very careful with shots. Orally is the way I go if it can be used that way. This mares was caused by a rabies vaccine administered by a vet, so it can and does happen even in the best of circumstances. So now all of my yearling shots are given by my vet and if I need banamine its given orally. Oh the mare did survive but always had a huge dent in her neck where it had been opened and drained and it took almost a year to heal.

Kay, I believe the one you are referring to was the LTD bred frame overo mare overseas. I remember those posts too. I cannot recall what caused it, but I do remember photos of her and the skin sloughing off etc.
default_no.gif

OMG! THANK YOU for posting this! I am now 99% sure this is what happened with our buckskin mare we lost back in 2006!

She was given an IM shot in her hip by the vet.. The next day there was a small bump at the injection site, I had my mother (I was away at college) call the vet and ask them, of course they told her that it was normal, at times shots can cause a small bump.. By the next day there was more swelling to the size of a softball, again called the vet and this time they came out and looked at it, said it was a reaction to the shot and put her on an antibiotic.. I came home the next day after classes to find her entire hip swollen, I then called and told them, yet again they said it was a reaction and that I needed to be patient and allow the antibiotic time to work, give it until Monday and if it wasn't better to give them a call, and to try cold hosing her hip to see if I could relieve some swelling.. Next day (4 days post injection) the swelling had spread to her hock and she was to the point she did not want to move.. I called THREE other vets (from other clinics), told them what was going on and all three said the same thing, just a reaction.. Sunday the swelling seemed to be going down, but when you ran your hand over the swollen areas it was as if running your hand over a giant bubble wrap bubble and you could hear the crackle sound.. I left Sunday to go back to classes, when I left she was up and walking/grazing the yard with her filly.. Monday morning I called home to check in on her only to find out that when my mom and sister went out that morning to feed they found her dead in her stall, leaving behind an 11 day old filly..

I was p*$$ed to say the least, I told my parents to get a vet out asap for a necropsy, as this mare had been 100% healthy up to the IM shot.. Upon necropsy we found that her liver and pancreas (I think) had been destroyed, and this vet suspected clostridial bacteria, but did not explain to us HOW/WHY she contracted the bacteria..
I just wanted to say that I remember your mare. My heart still brakes for you. You did do all you could though, sometimes vets just don't listen.

This is why I won't give my on vaccinations.
default_sad.png

This may be "old" but it is STILL very valid and current. I'm sure some one bumped it up with the recent "Doing your own vaccinations" thread...

Kay, I believe the one you are referring to was the LTD bred frame overo mare overseas. I remember those posts too. I cannot recall what caused it, but I do remember photos of her and the skin sloughing off etc.
default_no.gif
Yes that was the one! She had been given banamine injections in her chest. I do believe she lived though! Pictures were just horrible.

I didnt mean it was bad that this got brought up again just wanted people to know it was a year old thread as some were asking for answers from the OP so I thought they may not realize this is an old thread.

I thought this topic important enough to go in the LB "Best" forum.

Banamine should be giving IV only, if using the injectable. Use the oral paste if using it orally! It works just as fast, and is meant to be used that way. Any IM shot of large quantity can result in what this post shows
default_sad.png
Don't do it!

Latest posts

Back