purple colored mucus discharge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
My mare is so ready to foal and when I just checked her she is having a purple colored discharge that is slick and thick. I have not seen this before and wonder if anyone knows what this might be. She is getting very uncomfortable and just standing in one place. Last night there was a lot of stomping and walking around the stall. She is 322 days. Last time she went 326.

Any ideas??

Thanks

My mare is so ready to foal and when I just checked her she is having a purple colored discharge that is slick and thick. I have not seen this before and wonder if anyone knows what this might be. She is getting very uncomfortable and just standing in one place. Last night there was a lot of stomping and walking around the stall. She is 322 days. Last time she went 326.

Any ideas??

Thanks
Sounds like a mucus plug even though I haven't seen one yet

Kim from Crayonbox miniatures has a really good

example on her website

here is the link

Crayonbox

Last edited by a moderator:
We had the same thing with our Percheron mare and it seemed like a week later she foaled.

Sounds like the mucous plug to me. I have a few mares that do this, and they generally foal within 36hours (Normally that night though
default_wink.png
) Goodluck!

Sounds like a mucus plug to me too! Your mare can foal anywhere from 1 hour to 5 days after losing the plug!

Yes, it sounds like the mucous plug to me too! My mare that had the mucous plug foaled 7 dayslater!

Pam

Hi

Hard to tell by your description of what this could be? Have you looked at the photos on the link? If it does not resemble that "at all", I would call the VET asap. I have seen reddish, purplish discharge from mares that produce red bags.

Good luck ~

Beth

There was someone on our forum that had a big horse doing this...I am trying to get the info as I don't remember what they decided it was. I will share whatever information I get.

Hi HeatherMy mare Della had this. She started passing the purple goo (it was actually blood tinged mucous) at day 312. She passed it continually until she foaled at day 323. Della passed a ton - maybe a bucket a day.

If it is just a little bit it is probably just the mucous plug.

Della turned out to have several problems. She had a partially formed twin that was sloughing off. She ruptured a huge varicose vein. The blood was congealing in the vaginal vault, mixing with the mucous and being expelled.

We treated Della with Banamine, antibiotics. We did not do regumate because she was getting close to 320 and I did not want to trap the goo inside the uterus.

I would be happy to talk with the mare owner if you think she would like to.

Della had a huge filly who was very healthy with all things considered. Della had a few issues for 2 days post foaling but is doing so much better now.

Thanks

Genevieve
This is the info I received from the owner of the mare that had the purple goo. She also sent me photos of the goo. I will try to post here. If you would like to contact Gen let me know and I'll give you her contact info.

Best wishes!!

goo002.jpg

goo003.jpg
goo004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back