Stall Gate

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxiesmom

Reaction score
What do you people use for a stall gate when you go to shows, other than the attached doors. We are planning to go to a show this summer that, I have been warned, will be very hot in the metal stalls. They suggested using fans and open stall gates for ventilation. I got to thinking about how I am going to do this, and can't figure out how to attach a gate to an existing stall. Some people have suggested using a goat panel, but how would it be attached to the door frame?

Any suggestions, or examples of how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

I too would be interested in hearing how these gate panels are attached as I have not really looked at what others have done at the shows we go to. It is usually very hot and windy. I also have an escape artist and have to KNOW the gate is secure.

We bought some stall screens (big horse size) from I think Dover Sadlery and have hung them inside whatever doors are already on stalls. They will hang from 2 eye bolts and can be closed using a third sye bolt and a double ended snap. The only photo I have of the stall screen is this one from my trailer.

I think it is about 39" wide. ETA: The mare (who is trying to tell me she has to pee) is 32" tall.

Clinic_3_15_trailer-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use these at shows and at home and, I believe, the best price right now is at Valley Vet. They hang from hinges (curved pins) that insert into eye bolts - at least at home. I have had to become inventive at the shows. Often there is enough room at the edge of the doorway of a show stall to use the heavy industrial zip ties to hold them in place.

cropped-barn.jpg

I bought 2 of these at the World Show, made of aluminum, and has a gate so you can install it and then use the gate without undoing it all the time. As you can see, SF Mahogany Bay was a happy camper with his new gate.

To set them up, we just need two 1/2" dowel rods or pvc and put it in each side and you can just attach at the top.
StallGate.jpg

USE CAUTION WITH STALL GATES THAT HAVE SQUARE OPENINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAD A FILLY BREAK HER LEG LAST YEAR, AND WE THINK IT WAS FROM GETTING HER FOOT CAUGHT IN THE OPENING OF A STALL GATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot tell you how heartbreaking this was, as it was a once in a lifetime filly! ( She is sound now., but not showable, and cost me in the THOUSANDS to heal)

The gates we used to use, were bought at one of the distributors mentioned in this post! I took them down and had Meadowbrook Miniatures make me some ( at a much cheaper price, I might add) with smaller spaces between the grillwork.

Everyone can hang their heads over but they can be raised if someone has the Jumping idea in their heads.......(Silly BOYS!) And I'm sure Ray could make them in a taller size too if you wanted it......

JUST BE CAREFUL! NO ONE wants to go through what I did!

We used "hog panels", sheep pen panels, and round pen panels when we went to Reno for the Western Championships. At 103 degrees, it was mandatory for our NW horses to get some air. (I remember watching a Reno native put her horse up for the day by closing the doors while horse was wrapped in neck sweats and sheets. We all worried what she would find when she came back to feed; she did not) They have rather strict rules about what you can do to the stalls and the metal sheeting cannot be compromised by staples, etc. The panels were wider than the doors so we put them on the inside so horses pushing against them would not be able to move them. We then bungied through the hinges. Our horses were older, experienced and glad enough to be able to stand and watch the world go by that they did not push or paw at the gates. At night we closed the stall doors up against the panels. We also used misters and shade cloth which endeared us to our neighbors
default_rolleyes.gif

Dorothy

USE CAUTION WITH STALL GATES THAT HAVE SQUARE OPENINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HAD A FILLY BREAK HER LEG LAST YEAR, AND WE THINK IT WAS FROM GETTING HER FOOT CAUGHT IN THE OPENING OF A STALL GATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot tell you how heartbreaking this was, as it was a once in a lifetime filly! ( She is sound now., but not showable, and cost me in the THOUSANDS to heal)

The gates we used to use, were bought at one of the distributors mentioned in this post! I took them down and had Meadowbrook Miniatures make me some ( at a much cheaper price, I might add) with smaller spaces between the grillwork.

Everyone can hang their heads over but they can be raised if someone has the Jumping idea in their heads.......(Silly BOYS!) And I'm sure Ray could make them in a taller size too if you wanted it......

JUST BE CAREFUL! NO ONE wants to go through what I did!
I'll have to admit, that is the first thing I thought when I looked at that gate, but it led me to find this

gatedivider.jpg

I have asked before about trailer dividers and someone showed a picture of using these dividers in their trailer conversion. I think they will work as dividers in my toy hauler, then I could take them out and use them as stall doors at the show. Opinions?

I love the looks of that - where did you find it? Are the holes too small for little hooves?

I was wondering where to get these too!! Now I know. See despite what my husband says, forums are NOT wasted time!
default_biggrin.png

[SIZE=12pt]Bill and I will be manufacturing horse show gates later this spring. I will post a photo of the prototype once we get it done![/SIZE]

Joy

Latest posts

Back