Bugs in feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritrSitr

Reaction score
Anyone else been having trouble with bugs in Complete Advantage?

BTW... my Katy has won the Mini Class at the local show in June AND July!!
default_smile.png

"Bugs" can be found in almost any type of feed. Just take it back to your dealer and have them exchange it.

Andrea

"Bugs" can be found in almost any type of feed. Just take it back to your dealer and have them exchange it.Andrea
There are an awful lot of bugs in this feed. I talked to my dealer and they ordered fresh but they said that they called Purina who says its normal...there are WAY too many bugs for my comfort. When I dump it into a bucket, wait a few minutes, the walls of the bucket are covered with them.

Just wondering if I'm being too picky for my lil buddies.

I'm almost possitive Purina did not make a statment like that to your feed company. I can't imagine them telling anyone its ok or normal for their feed to have bugs in it.

You can call them yourselves at

(800) 227-8941

Ask for a free coupon too for your troubles!

When our former feed store sold me Purina feed with bugs it was due to them and their filthy dirty storeroom and also their lack of sales. The feed with bugs was old and had been sitting there for months.

Congrats to Katy!

Be sure and check the dates on the bottom of your feed bags when you purchase them. Sometimes feed stores will not rotate them correctly and after several sales of new bags they hit the old bags on the bottom finally.

I would never never feed anything that had bugs in it! And I agree with Marty I really doubt Purina said that.

I too don't believe Purina would tell anyone that it was normal to have bugs in any of their feeds! There is nothing normal about bugs in a bag of feed, unless that bag of feed has been poorly stored and/or stored for a very long time. I very much doubt that any bag of feed had bugs in it when it left Purina's facility.

You are NOT being too fussy about what your feed to your horse. Absolutely do not give her buggy feed to eat.

I hope that your feed store has agreed to replace the bug-infested bag(s) of feed?

I work at Tractor Supply and I asure you that Purina did not say that. Someone was just being lazy and did'nt want to deal with you.
default_nono.gif
THAT"S NOT RIGHT! Customer service is #1!!!
default_yes.gif
Take it back and talk to the manager and let them know the deal. They like us should have taken it back with NO QUESTIONS ASKED! It can be fresh and still contain bugs or mold. At our store we inspect our bags every couple of days to see if we visibly see anything and if we do, we track down what feed has the problem and imedeantly get rid of it. I have seen new shipments of fresh feed come in off the truck and notice once that a date was expired and they still sent it. We sent it back! Also take notice on how clean the floor is in-between and around the feed, if theres feed on the floor with dust, than that is most likely what causes the bugs to be around in the 1st plase. A dirty floor shows how much you care about selling your product! A little spill here and there is okay but if its never cleand or feeds rotated, than it sounds like they dont care. If I would'nt eat it, I would'nt feed it to my horses, and I say take it back!

I agree! I would call Purina first and describe to them what you told us, then return what you have. Your feed store is at fault, even if the feed came of the truck that way they should not be selling it and should certainly not be telling you it's okay. I fed nothing but Purina for many years, and yes feed gets bugs now and then. My feed store always willingly took it back & exchanged it for fresh. The only time I had to call Purina they sent me coupons for new feed (there was a rat - or rather half a rat - in my Omolene!!!). I think they should have paid for a shrink after finding that actually but I settled for new feed LOL.

Jan

I have had feed stores tell me that a few bugs in my oats wont hurt, but I still dont like to feed it.

I found a way to deal with it, if its not too many.. when I cant take it back.

I pour it out in a thin layer on a large flat metal tray on a hot sunny day, and let it toast in the hot sun real good.

The grain bugs we get here, only thrive in cool conditions, and will die very quickly when exposed this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_new_shocked.gif
EWWWW I would never feed anything with bugs in it, that isn't being picky, just expecting quality when you pay for it. The feed manuf. should have an 800 number. They want you to keep buying their feed, they will deal with the dealer that sold you the buggy feed and very often you will get coupons, free merchandise etc. because they want your business and don't want you telling people that their product was not perfect. I agree it is probably an issue from where you bought it from, not purina.

This 800 number contact is true for most products that are not as they should be. I call those numbers on any product that isn't quite right, smells funny etc.

Remember if it is old enough to have bugs in it, it could have mold toxins in it and sometimes that stuff cannot be smelled either. I worked for a vet once that we kept treating a kitten for CNS signs, it was falling over and acting weird. Traced it to some kitten chow they purchased at a local store, had mold in it. Kitten was fine, but it could have turned out bad if we didn't figure it out.

Even if your store won't take it back, I would bet Purina will send you equal value in savings or coupons, doesn't matter where you live or where you bought it... you should get quality fresh feed. Another tip is that I have always been told that you should store your feed in it's original bag and toss when the bag is empty, don't dump into a bin and feed from that. Applies to dog food too. Stays fresher and you always know what lot of feed you are feeding in case there are problems. Best wishes and thanks for sharing, always nice to have those awareness tips.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back