13 day old colt loosing hair down to skin on face

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravation Acres

Reaction score
At first we thought he was just rubbing his baby hair off, but 2 nights ago we noticed it was not gray hair showing but was skin. So we looked for lice and did not see any.

Had the Vets out yesterday and they took a sample of hair and are running a fungal culture on it. They called and left a message that they found other cases of this type saying it could be Alopecia and that if it is this the hair would grow back in about 2-3 months.

Also if it got worse they could come back out and take a skin biopsy to check for other things.

We had to change grains about 5 days ago, Our store ran out of the rugular. So we were wondering if this could be a reaction to something in the grain ( his mother is eating and going in to the milk) so we are trying other stores to see if they have the normal feed.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this pop up in the past?

Also, I cannot put him out in the sun or he will get burned and the bugs will eat him up with no hair. I was thinking of putting baby sunscreen on him, But all the fly sprays say to wait until 3 months old to use. any suggestions ?

Thanks Deb

I would be willing to bet that he is just losing his baby fuzz - a lot of mine go thru that and yes, it is rubbed off right down to the skin. You could probably put some human baby sunscreen on his little bald patches to help keep him from burning - I know that I do that with mine this time of year.

Stacy

There was a topic on here a while ago which referred to this issue as being connected to the foal having a high temperature in it's first few days.

Is it hot or is he sweating? Mine rub their hair off all the way down to the skin if it's really hot out. We clip all of our babies (except for the lower legs) during the summer to keep them from rubbing.

In my younger days I had a friend that every summer her (big) horse would shed out bald and then grow in her summer coat. They had vet after vet out to treat her. To tell them what was wrong. Well, after the 3rd year they found a vet that knew his stuff. It was too late. She had cancer. I don't know what kind but the mare died that year. Not to say that is what is wrong with your baby. It is just one instance I have seen. Good luck with your baby.

we've had several babies who would just rub themselves bald. in one case, you could watch her, she would start rubbing, and it felt so ggod she wouldn't stop.

We would bathe it with listerene and then lather her with baby sunscreen. eventually the hair would start back in, but we'd still have to watch them closely.

We've used baby sunscreen on lots of pale-skinned critters at the vet's recommendation, and it also seems to help keep the flies away. another good "non-chemical" treatment is bag balm - it keeps the skin hydrated, and the menthol & eucalyptus cuts down on the flies.

Regarding fly sprays--there are all natural ones with several kinds of oils that are okay for the babes. I read a lot of bottles and am using Nature Defense (I think that's what it's called). Seems to work as well as any other.

I agree with Stacy....baby fuzz! My 6 week old colt is starting that now (been rainy and cold still so took a while to start) He is losing his coat down to the skin around his eyes and muzzle!

Tammy

Yes, my babies do that too. I don't know if they rub it off, it comes off, or falls out but they look clean shaven for a bit and then the fuzzy hair above the muzzle is still there. When I clip them that clean area is still clean, the clippers do not cut close enough to even it out even with a #50.

Thank you for all your comments.

This is our 10th foal born here and this is the first time this has happened to us. That was why we were worried. He has seemed to be a normal little guy other than going bald.

I do not beleive he had a fever. He justs nurses, plays for a little and sleeps. He had a little runny poop at about 9 days old, not to bad.

Also we have only had about 2 warm days (80's) since he was born. Most days it is in the mid to low 70's so I don't think he is getting too hot and sweaty.

How long does it normally take for their hair to look somewhat normal?

Thanks again

Deb

Very interesting! I have a colt, 3 wks old now. At day 2 he came down with high fever for several days. Treated with naxcel. Now his hair is dropping off on his butt, face and legs. Does anyone recall the thread that was on before and what the outcome was?

Most foals have a very thick coat it is not really long but is very dense and more sheep like as they get to be a couple months old often anyway.

This make even weather like 70 degrees seem very hot - i have found that due to the density the skin when it sweats doesnt get much air so that could be great breeding grounds for fungus.

I have had to body clip or at least rough clip all of our foals

Latest posts

Back