Foal chewables

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1keegan

Reaction score
We have an 'only' foal. I'm wondering what type of toys / household items you give to keep them occupied?

Our little guy ignores the mini jolly ball, but loves chewing on the water bucket, or a handle of a rake if he can get to it. I'd like to be able to give him something that won't be harmful to him if he chews it, yet keep him entertained,

as his mama isn't too playful
default_wink.png
and he's trying to use our hands & legs as teething rings- which we are addressing, but boy, is he persistant!

Any irresistable items your foals love to play with?

LG

Last edited by a moderator:
How about threading twine or rope thru different size pieces of PVC pipe and just sort of tying a big knot in the bottom so the pipe stays on the rope and just hanging them from the ceiling,walls or any where they would "dangle". I would just make sure that the each pipe was long enough that there would be no chance that it would actually be able to fit in a mouth. Plastic milk jugs were always my puppies favorite....just needed to be there to supervise always. I would think if you hung them there wouldnt be any danger although others may think otherwise. Good luck w/your little one and let us see pictures of your little foals gamboree when its finished!

Truthfully our little guy loves his mothers rubber dish he tries to chew on it all the time. It really is too hard for him to get pieces off of and you have to be very careful hanging anything in a stall as they can hurt themselves without even trying. Im sure there are others here who can give you other ideas on playthings.

How about those plastic jugs that scoopable kitty litter comes in? They seem to have a pretty tuff handle that he could grab onto and toss it around on the ground!

I am interested in hearing what others have to say too as I am expecting an "only foal" anyday now!

Tammy

I have a now 12 year old APHA mare that is very oral, she doesn't bite or taste me, but loves to play with stuff... She likes to rub her teeth on the diamond tread fender guards on my horse trailer (makes a great noise), she'll twang the wire fence, she plays in the water tank, she'll just make noises with her mouth (hard to explain, but she'll flap her lips together). [i don't recall if I ever tried a Jolly ball with her.] When she was a foal a fellow boarder loaned my a horse toy called a "pacifier", it mounted in the corner of stall and had rubber/plastic wheels on it that spun; she loved it. Country Supply carries a very similar item (maybe just a newer model): http://www.horse.com/Pas-a-Fier-BRS01.html You might be able to make something similar, or find one for less somewhere.

Thanks for your suggestions- we tried a heavy duty jug today, and will look for that pacifier type rubber toy tomorrow at

Fleet Farm
default_smile.png

LG

Latest posts

Back