colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
in usa do your minis come down with sand colic much..as in ozzy land owe horse always come down with it..what do yous do for sand colic and what provention do you use

Sand colic is treated similiarly to any other colic. Psyllium is used to soak up the sand in their gut so they can pass it out with their feces.

Whole flax is also reputed to be good preventative medicine for horses on sandy soils. It helps to move the sand from the gut and as an added bonus gives the horse a shiny coat.

HI! I LIVE IN AN AREA OF SANDY SOILS ALSO. TRY METAMUCIL(SP) OR STORE BRAND AND I GIVE BIG TABLE SPOON ONCE A MONTH IN FEED AND IT REALLY HELPS. KNOCK ON WOOD I HAVEN'T HAD ANY FOR A WHILE.

We add psyllium to a beet pulp mash and feed it once a month.

At the advice of our vet, we use a product called Sand Clear. It is more expensive than the other products mentioned, but our vet feels it works more effectively (and I don't buy it at the vet's office- so there is nothing 'in it' for the vet). I have also used Metamucil and had two come down with mild sand colic. So, I am back to Sand Clear and have had no other problems. I feed it for one week every month.

I agree that sand clear is the best product to use. I have used metamucil as well. Both of these products only work as long as your horse is eating. If they are coliced and won't eat then you need to do something else. Call the Vet. But for preventative I use sand clear.

I don't think it is that expensive for the amount you get, give. Metamucil is 8.00 bucks or so for a bottle of that and if given the correct amount dosage would not last as long as sand clear does. It does not "gell up" as quickly as sand clear either, if you are trying to give it by syringe.
default_smile.png

The main and active ingredient in Sand Clear is psyllium. If you buy it in the generic form it is cheaper.

Sand Clear is psyllium with a fancy name and package and is more expensive than the generic psyllium.

Latest posts

Back