My dad is having open heart bypass surgery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kim,

My former father-in-law had 5 bypass surgery in 1980. He just celebrated his 90th birthday last month and out lived his 5 sisters!

Your dad is in my prayers for sure!!

Susan O.

Very good news so far. We went up and spant a couple hours in the waiting room and his nurse called us every hour on the hour with an update on how the surgery was going. After they were done she came in and told us all about it, and told us that it would still be several hours before he woke up, especially since he was such a heavy smoker. My mom said she'd tell him we were there for him. After he wakes up in recovery they're going to move him to the CCU (same as ICU) floor and keep him a couple of days, then move him to a regular room and that's when hubby, the kids and I would be up to see him. I can't hardly wait to see him... I was so very scared. My dad is my hero. He's the smartest mad I know and I just don't know how in the world I would every make it without him.

Thank you all again SO VERY much for the prayers and good thoughts. I am sure they made quite a difference in his outcome. I appreciate you all...thank you from the bottom of my families hearts.

So glad to hear the successful surgery reports! You will be amazed at how quickly he will progress. And he will be amazed at how much better he feels (after some healing, of course). Those clogged arteries limit blood, so limit oxygen, thus mental and physical takes a toll. It happens slowly so he adjusted and probably didn't realize how limited he was!

Will keep your family in my prayers for a swift & full recovery. Enjoy your "new" dad
default_wub.png

Hello, I think I can be of some comfort to you. Did they take him to Jonesboro? My uncle who is in his late 70's just had open heart surgery three or four weeks ago. He too thought he was going to just need a stint and then had to have open heart surgery. I know that is the scary part....just the thought of it. I think that they should prepare you for it more than they do. It may be every day to them but it is not to the family.

Sorry, I went off subject. My Uncle AJ, who lives in Walnut Ridge is home and is already driving (don't think it is with doctor's permission) Mom said that he had lost some weight but he is doing fine. His biggest complaint afterwards was the lack of energy.

So I am sending you so many prayers..........to someone from my "neck of the woods".

I taught at Paragould's Middle School and High School.........several years ago.

Seeing I am a few days late seeing this and responding to it.....So Happy everything is going smoothly. My apologies that I didn't get this written sooner.

God Bless you and your family.

My dad also had a quadruple bypass years ago, and it gave him nearly 10 more good years of life. He wouldn't have known his granddaughters without it, so it was truly a gift. I've known others too who greatly benefited from it (notice how it's usually the men?) Someone said be prepared for how he will look post surgery, good advice. He will also wear out pretty quickly so you may have to run interference on visitors. People don't realize how exhausting it is just to have a constant stream of well meaning folks in. Imagine his doctor will really lean on him to quit smoking too, that will help his recovery.

Prayers to him and to your family.

Jan

Latest posts

Back