My dad is having open heart bypass surgery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
Today was my dad's appointment to have baloon / stint surgery. Turns out they couldn't get in there at all because there was too much blockage. So, they sent him to the next town over and they said they have to do open heart bypass surgery. Not sure if it's for one or two blockages... his heart is in pretty bad shape.

He's never been in a hospital before, and he's scared. I know he's worried about the surgery too because while I was talking to him he says "Kim..... I love you" so I said it back to him and I could hear his voice crack when he told me goodbye.

We're going to go up there as soon as they figure out when they are doing the surgery. I hope it's tomorrow while the kids are at school so that we can go up there and not worry about the kids. I alsso really hope that when the kids get home we'll be able to give them good news about my dad.

If anyone has a spare prayer, please include my dad. His name is Clinton... thank you so much.

I sure will pray for your dad and also prayers for your family. My dad had this same kind of surgery many years ago and he did fine.

I am adding your dad's name to my prayer list. I hope everything goes smoothly for his surgery, and I wish him speedy recovery. Please keep us updated as you can. My thoughts and prayers go out to you too........I know this is not an easy time for you either.

I'm saying big prayers for your Dad! Please keep us updated! Hugs to you all.

Keeping your Dad in my prayers.

My dad went through a triple bypass in December 2007. The recovery can be a bit hard if he's used to doing everything himself... Make sure that he has a firm pillow to hug tight to his chest when he coughs.

My dad had quintuple (5) bypass surgery in 1982. It added almost 12 years to his life. So I look upon it as a Godsend. Hoping all goes well with your dad's surgery. Believe me it is pretty amazing how they have them up and around in no time at all.

Kim -

Keeping you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers...

Liz R.

I appreciate all of the good thoughts and the prayers. I just got an update from my mom. She says he has 4 blockages. One is 40 percent, one is 50 percent one is 70 percent and the last one is 90 percent. He's taking breathing treatments to strengthen his lungs for surgery. My mom is a very nervous type person, she can't bring herself to stay at the hospital with my dad... I'll be surprised if she'll even be able to stay threre through the surgery. She can't handle extreeme emotions. She couldn't even handle to go to the funerals of my two brothers and my niece.

They don't know when they're doing the surgery, whether it's tomorrow or the next day... but I am sick to my stomach and nervous and scared.... snapping at the hubby and kids because I'm scared for my dad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry he's having these hard times. I will be praying that the surgery goes well
default_yes.gif
Lots of people come out of open heart surgery just fine so try not to stress too much. Everything happens for a reason.
default_wink.png

Everyone I know personally that has had this surgery, it's been a blessing for them. Hope it is the same for your dad.

Sending prayers for your Dad Kim. I know how scary that is, I went through something similar with my Dad this late this past August.

My Dad had many heart surgerys. To the point that his doctors in Boston would say, "Joe you make me look so good"! The Doctors in Boston, New England Medical Center, actually had to have a special tool made in Californina to do one of his heart surgerys. My Mom was a ROCK! It's so important to send the patient off into surgery with a positive attitude! We always were positive when Dad would go into surgery! My Dad had a quadruple bypass and came back with a vengence!! I hope your Dad gets the support he needs! These heart Doctors do this stuff for a living. It's just another day at the office for them, honest!

Joyce

prayers being said for both your family and dad. I'm sure everything will be fine. Hope he has a speedy recovery.'

Hang in there.
default_saludando.gif

Linda Killion

Sending prayers up for your dad. I totally understand how you feel as my dad needs open heart too but unfortunately is not a good candidate for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kim, my prayer are with you and your family. My husband had a quadruple bypass 6 years ago - 90% blockage in three. Six weeks later he had another heart attack. Seems there was another blockage in the back that they later said probably caused the first heart attack, and they were able to stent that. He is as good as new and has been since the surgery. His chest healed quickly but because of his diabetes the incision on his leg took alot longer. It is truly a miracle what they can fix these days. My one piece of advice would be: when they let you in to see him in recovery don't be shocked by what you see. He will have tubes everywhere, probably be on a ventilator and not very coherent. Do not ask him any question - how do you feel?etc - because he won't be able to answer and this can be frustrating for him. Just let him know you're there and glad to see him. When my husband had surgery I was lucky to have his sister there who is a cardiac nurse. She gave me the advice I just passed on and I will be forever grateful, because when we saw him it was awful, but because she had told me about it I wasn't scared like I would have been otherwise. He will have a nurse assigned to him for at least the first 24 hours and they will try to remove the ventilator as soon as possible.

Prayers and good thoughts to you and your dad. I'm glad that several people have been able to share their personal experiences. May I also pass on my own......My dad had a triple bypass done many years ago when he was in his 60's. He was not in the best of health, but he came through it with flying colors and healed very rapidly. May YOUR dad have a similar outcome......
default_smile.png
Please post with an update when you can.

Hubby had quadruple surgery 10 years ago. No heart attack, he had pain, we were married just one month, he felt the smart thing was to go to the Dr. They caught it before the heart attack, so no damage to his heart muscle. He was fine, I was a nervous, scared mess! He is fine, and as good as before, if not better in some ways. Let's hope for the same for your dad.

Latest posts

Back