Why not to use bute in minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have been taught not to give to much bute to minis and have observed the muscle spasms in my mini this past winter when he foundered. We discovered he was a high insulin resistant horse so discovered he did much better when taken off meds and put on supplements to bring down his insulin level, which they are finding as a trigger for foundering especially when there are no fresh grass, feed issues and it seems to happen in the winter.

After bringing him through all that, he unfortunately has injured his hip which seems to be a dislocated femur like Jan talked about with her mare. It has been two weeks and have been on the equioxx and seems to be in less pain and more like himself although cannot still walk on the hind leg. The vets were not able to get a high enough picture (xray) of the hip joint because of the size of their portable and the thickness in this area. My vet seems ready to give up on him but he seems to be in less and less pain and eats fine. It seems wrong not to give this time....their isn't much swelling at all so don't know if I believe the femur head is fractured like the vet thinks. She has not worked with many minis so was wondering if anything similar has happened in the mini world out there!

Thanks!

Tamara

My mini came home from Auburn Univ last yr after having a ENTEROLITH colic surgery & they had me put her on GASTROGUARD for 4 wks from the stress of surgery, & her not being able to eat much.

Latest posts

Back