Wild Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontworrybeappy

Reaction score
Just for those who think stallions never get along - here is a picture of what happened when I put 5 year old Buzz (Black Snowcap Tobiano/Splash) back into the stallion corral with 11 year old Appy (Silver Bay Appaloosa) after a month of Buzz being in the barn. Both these guys had their own broodmare bands through spring/summer. They're now in a pen with a 3 year old gelding, a 2 year old colt, and we folded in (with no upsets) a weanling gelding today. I love my mini boyz!
default_wub.png

Buzz-Appy11-10web.jpg

And yes, more clipping is needed SOON!

My two boys last fall...

Picture199.jpg

Usually I have another adult stallion and gelding out with them, but the one stud is out on a breeding lease and the gelding was sold. My horse friends are shocked tolearn I usually run the two boys together, and over the winter when the mares are either bred or not cycling, they go out with the herd over the winter.

cute. I have My APHA stallion running with my geldings also. He never fight or anything. I have even had a mare in the mix of them and he never went after my other boys. He is laid back as can be.

yep, I have a wild stallion too.

I have 5 mares with their young, 3 gelding with my wild stallion.

Even breeding seasons. I have been lucky...

oops forgot our female Bernese also.

HerdwithTabithasmaller.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 stallions and 2 geldings have been living together for the last 2+ years. They playfight, drag each other around by their covers, and generally have a wonderful life
default_smile.png
The boss has always been the oldest gelding, who is in fact the sire of the other 3.

Now that they have returned to New Zealand, they are split into pairs (stallions and geldings), but the 2 stallions are still living together happily.

I also love my boys
default_wub.png

Right now I have 6 stallions, one 2 year old and a tall yearling all running together in a large paddock area. The younger ones were put it to learn a few manners (worked)
default_biggrin.png
They all get alone just fine, they run together, mock fight, wither and just enjoy each others company. Some come out for the breeding season, then go back.

I hate stallions being forced to be loaners. They are herd animals and in the wild there are herds of just bachelor stallions. Well, in the fall and winter, this is my bachelor herd.

I love it Karen! Put a wreath around it and use it as a Christmas card!
default_yes.gif

Well, I do have mention our two boys, Brumby and Monet. Both are fully mature stallions that breed and show. This is them in June, at the height of breeding season:

web.jpg

default_wub.png

Great picture! While that would never work on my farm, I fully agree that stallions should not live an isolated life.

My stallions live with their mares all year long and are quite happy that way.
default_yes.gif

With the stallion we had before this was just not an option but we have been blessed with some very well behaved boys.

In this pic is our senior stallion- the sorrel, a two year old that was used for breeding this year on the right and a yearling colt.

IMG_1671.jpg

We often work a few horses together and this pic was just after lungeing the senior stallion and two year old together- not something I would recommend for most horses but these two are the best of friends.

IMG_1673.jpg

I have five boys out together now, two geldings and two colts and a stallion.

One of the colts and the stallion have been used for breeding, once the season was over they slotted back into the filed without problems.

It does not, however, work for all horses and Rabbit has never been able to live with them as he just does not stop, not even if he is boss.

Come spring it is a different story, once the hormones rise I could not, nor would I anyway, put them out with mares around. Each has there own field, the geldings together, the entires with their own mares.

Yep, my 10 year old studdy gelding is the unquestioned king of my pastures with my Arab gone and he rules the 2 year old stallion with an iron fist.
default_rolleyes.gif
I have no idea what would happen if I had girls around and am not sure I want to find out, but as a bachelor herd they do great!

Leia

Yep, my 10 year old studdy gelding is the unquestioned king of my pastures with my Arab gone and he rules the 2 year old stallion with an iron fist.
default_rolleyes.gif
I have no idea what would happen if I had girls around and am not sure I want to find out, but as a bachelor herd they do great!

Leia
My lot could give you an idea of what would happen. My mare has the boys all wrapped around her, ah, finger?. My 22 yr old gelding thinks he should rule and my stallion thinks he should boss and my newest gelding (5 yr old)thinks they are playing but it gets rough even through a fence line. But everybody loves the mare and leaves her alone (well, the stallion doesn't get a choice in the matter).

At present I have a group of 4 colts - a yearling, a 2 y.o., and 2 x 3 y.o. who have been together sharing their 'out/playtime' between the shows this year (one of the 3y.o.'s also had his first mare this year). To the mix we have just added our 10 y.o. Falabella stallion, who loves having winter companionship. A great success - they have all settled beautifully and the Falabella is enjoying having the company again.

Our American import boy, Dragon, just loves the weaned colts, but at the moment he is a bit inclind to want to jump on them in play and I worry that the smaller ones might get hurt, so he lives next to them in the stables and each morning at they get turned out he goes too, but on a lead, so he can greet, have scratches, graze for half an hour or so, before being removed to his own field next door - ever hopeful that as time passes he will learn to be a bit more thoughtful LOL!

My other stallion would not share a field with anything that wasn't female, but in a couple of years I intend to geld him so that he can live out his latter years with his previous wives as they reach retirement age.

Anna

Latest posts

Back