Type

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetOpal

Reaction score
Hello all....I just bought this mare for my daughter she is broke to ride, drive, does halter, obstacle, jumper you name it, she is the best and sweetest little oK huge thing ever! She wants to do the ride classes at Congress and all the other classes. We have been showing her locally as a Modern Pleasure and she has keg shoes on. My question is for Congress, does she fit the type of classic for congress, I have noticed that the modern pleasure does not have the same classes as the classics. She is A papered as well. We would like to show her classic so we can show her in all of her classes that she is trained to do, well for Jess to show her in all the classes.

mare_mahalah_00.jpg

scan0005.jpg

70706683.jpg

mare_mahalah_02.jpg

Thats a very nice pony ! I would say definitely modern, both in type and movement. I think she'd do wonderfully in modern pleasure, but would likely be considered off type for classic division classes.

She looks modern to me, but if I wanted her to show in the classic classes at the congress, I would try her as a classic at another show first and see what she looks like there. Maybe compare her to other classics when she is prepped and set up as a classic. I know very little about it, but I know I wouldn't try changing things just for the congress. I would try changing things for a smaller show before that and see how things go. Maybe even ask the judges after the show, or some of the other pony people at the show. After all, the photos were taken when she was being shown as a modern.

Angie

I agree very much with the advice that dannigirl has given. See what the judges think at the local level! She has her HOF in Classic Halter so it's not like she CAN'T show as a classic, even if she is Modern Pleasure type (particularly in those pictures where you know she had artificial appliances 24/7 to make her more Modern).

And to heck with the Congress judges if you'd rather show her Classic so your daughter can show in more fun classes! Congress only offers halter and driving pretty much for the Moderns, while Classic has all sorts of different performance classes like riding and jumping and showmanship.

But I'm new to the ponies too so for what it's worth just have fun, remember?

Andrea

Thank you all who replied. As far as I know it is legal for them to wear 3 oz weights for artificial, as far as I know that is all she has ever done to her. She has been home for a month and has not had anything done to her and the one pic was taken of her just 2 weeks ago in my pasture.

The reason for posting was not to figure out if she had artificial appliances used on her but to more or less see if she was more classic or modern pleasure in type. You are right disneyhorse it is to have fun, but if we are protested or marked down for being in the wrong class I don't hardly see how that would be fun!

For the other who replied feeling she is modern, would you only say that based on her action pics? Or would you say that on her halter pics as well?

i was told they are really going to crack down on off types showing in the wrong class so to me it wouldnt be worth putting her in classic. to me she looks and moves like a modern. i agree there arent nearly enough modern pleasure classes (this is the trouble we had when we showd patches)

she does have a hall of fame in classic halter?? from the pics i wouldnt even think shed make the height requirment of a classic but maybe the pics are misleading
default_smile.png

there are classes for modern showmanship etc at congress. my son showed in them

I'd say modern in "type" and well as movement. You have a wonderfully moving mare... the hock action especially. Its just above and beyond what would be expected from a classic.

There has been talk for some time about getting serious about not placing ponies showing in incorrect divisions. I'd imagine it would be very disheartening for a child showing to not place because of something like this after an otherwise perfect class.

Most definately modern in type and movement. Nice mare but she would be off type for a classic. Linda B

I would have to say Modern Pleasure. Though she has very nice motion, I would say she is a little shy of what a modern would need at the national level. I do however consider her too extreme for the classic division. Also, read the rule book carefully about the shoeing regulations for the Modern Pleasure division. (Evenly weighted plates, pads allowed except in Country Pleasure driving where they are not allowed etc...) they can get really confusing
default_wacko.png
: .

Kindest Regards,

Amber

I'm not sure if they are offered at Congress but there are Modern Jumping in Hand, Modern Halter Obstacle, and several saddle classes on the approved list. They are being offered at the Area Shows and many local shows will add them if they are requested. There is even Modern Costume.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone answering this thread it has been really helpful for me. I havent jumped into the pony ring just yet. I am still waiting on that perfect flea bitten gray all around gelding to pop up
default_smile.png
but I am trying to learn all I can so I will be prepared thanks guys

Latest posts

Back