Surface rust black metal cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayne

Reaction score
I have a great easy entry cart that my pony and I both LOVE. However, living in this damp climate, it has acquired quite a bit of surface rust on the expanded metal floor as well as on the metal parts of the square tubular frame. I would imagine it would entail some work with steel wool, but how do I get in all of the nooks and crannies of the expanded metal? Would a dremmel type tool with a wire brush type attachment work? And what about painting it again? Spray or by hand? What kind of paint?

I love the thought of just sitting in the aisle of the barn on a rainy winter day and working on this project, but I'd sure like to have a good idea what I really need to do rather than just guessing! Then next it's tackling his moldy leather harness and making it SHINE! (I have a nylon one too that is a whole lot less work, let me tell you!)! I love most things about our climate, but the dampness sometimes makes more work! At least I have grass almost all year 'round though!

I guess what got me thinking about this is that ClickMini offered her indoor arena to Snohomish County people and I don't want to show up there sometime with a rusty-looking cart!! Seriously, Snohomish County girls, we NEED to try to get together. Just for a fun day of talking and playing with our ponies and maybe some good food too (I can cook anything and can bring whatever people would want: cinnamon nut scones? mexican black bean roll ups? hunter beans? fritatta made with eggs from my own hens? You get the idea!)

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks so much!

Jayne

We are facing the same thing. My black easy entry that was new in 1998 is now rusted and in rough shape. Hubby is saying wire wheel will be best though ideal would be sand blasting.

He also has available several rust eaters that concern me just b/c I'm not a chemical fiend, but some of them aren't so bad, I understand.

My son found a paint that is called "paint over rust" that might be an option. It comes in black, is a brush on and is only a primer type paint as in it NEEDS a top coat.
default_smile.png
That way you don't sand, but I think the paint is a step by step type paint. He got some in silver for the underside of his car and he has been very happy.

I would repaint with a good primer that inhibits rust no matter what, and then over the top of that with a quality paint as well, likely a spray for coverage.

Liz M.

when i was stripping down and repainting my old cart I used a wire bristle brush for the WHOLE thing. It worked, but it was a real chore and left my hands and arms aching.

I used spray paint on it, one coat of rust inhibiting primer and a top coat of glossy paint. I actually used a store brand version of the paint but I wasn't terribly happy with it, next time I would use a brand name.

I have another cart now that needs repainting but thankfully does not have rust.

Thanks to you both for your great advice. I probably would have skipped the priming coat so I'm really glad I asked. I don't mind the idea of sanding, but I sure will check on a wire wheel for my cordless drill. That might speed things up!

Thanks so much again!!

Jayne

(edited for bad spelling)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let a painting expert help you, I have painted everything from computer cases, yard signs, cars, lawn eqipment to walls in teh house.....lol

The best method requires a full repaint:

Sand the entire cart down with 200 grit paper, you can use 100 if you have thick spots. Thensand over it with 400 grit to remove rough spots. Wash the cart and let it dry. If you can afford sand blasting you can bypass all the sanding. Apply 2-3 coats of "rust inhibitor to prevent future rusting. Once that is done and dry them apply a coat of grey automotive primer to further protect when scratching happens. Pick a color you want and apply 2-3 coats of that color to the cart. once that is dry....you can wetsand using 1000 grit and a water hose, but this part is optional for a more shiny finish. Once that is done you can polycoat or clear coat and use a buffing compound and buffing wheel to create the automotive shine.

If you dont want to repaint the whole thing, use a 400 grit wheel on a high speed drill or dremel, tape a square off around the spot, prime and paint.

Wow, what great advice on a great topic! My torsion axle is beginning to rust on my own cart and now I know how to fix it. Thanks, guys!

And Jayne, you're right.
default_yes.gif
: The SnohoCo girls badly need to get together and have a group drive indoors once the weather gets nasty this winter. Maybe a once a month (or every other month) potluck? That would be so cool! I know plenty of driving games we could play and maybe ClickMini would help us with clicker training tricks. :aktion033: Hey, we could have a Christmas costume contest and go caroling! It would give me the excuse I've been wanting to deck out my cart.

Leia

Back