Show Carts & Harnesses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I am thoroughly enjoying doing driving training with my horses and I am preparing them to be hooked to cart in a few months once it warms up. Cart training is nothing new for me, so no worries - we've been taking things VERY slow - I ground drive for about a year before we ever hook to the cart. I'm a firm believer in ground training, more ground training and then once you think you've got it down pat. . .more ground training! Always worked with my riding horses and it's proving invaluable with the Miniatures as well.

Anyways, I have a basic easy entry cart (very used) and nylon harness that I use just for training - doesn't matter if it gets dirty or anything - just for training and fun. I am not looking to show at the National Level personally (if I am going to pay to take my horse to Nationals I'll leave it to the pros and send said horse with a trainer, I wouldn't want the horse held back by a "newbie" in the mini horse show world haha) and would like to just compete locally and enjoy the fun of driving with fellow friends.

That being said, what would you suggest for style of cart and harness to purchase for someone who just wants to hit the local show ring? I know I am going for the whole "black cart, black harness" for the simple and elegant look but I am more concerned about what I actually need. I DO know that I am going to purchase a used cart and possibly a used harness - just would like to know what products work best and are good enough to compete locally without breaking the bank!

Thanks again guys!

Good question, I am interested in what everyone has to say. I'm too old to do obsticle and not very interested in showing halter.

I have shown quite a bit at local AMHR shows with a very clean EE cart (make sure all the paint is touched up, wheels are shiny clean, etc.)

However, I'd recommend a leather harness at least, I would never show in nylon. The one that's under $300 from Ozark is a great one for the show ring, it has a little bit of patent leather on it and if you keep up on the hardware, should be just fine for the showring.

Andrea

I am thoroughly enjoying doing driving training with my horses and I am preparing them to be hooked to cart in a few months once it warms up. Cart training is nothing new for me, so no worries - we've been taking things VERY slow - I ground drive for about a year before we ever hook to the cart. I'm a firm believer in ground training, more ground training and then once you think you've got it down pat. . .more ground training! Always worked with my riding horses and it's proving invaluable with the Miniatures as well.

Anyways, I have a basic easy entry cart (very used) and nylon harness that I use just for training - doesn't matter if it gets dirty or anything - just for training and fun. I am not looking to show at the National Level personally (if I am going to pay to take my horse to Nationals I'll leave it to the pros and send said horse with a trainer, I wouldn't want the horse held back by a "newbie" in the mini horse show world haha) and would like to just compete locally and enjoy the fun of driving with fellow friends.

That being said, what would you suggest for style of cart and harness to purchase for someone who just wants to hit the local show ring? I know I am going for the whole "black cart, black harness" for the simple and elegant look but I am more concerned about what I actually need. I DO know that I am going to purchase a used cart and possibly a used harness - just would like to know what products work best and are good enough to compete locally without breaking the bank!

Thanks again guys!
Just for the local shows your EE cart would do. However, if you can find a used Jerald or Graber that's the way I would go.

I prefer leather for a harness but some of the synthetic stuff, I've heard, is good however I've never used it. Just make sure whatever you get that it fits properly or that you can return it or they will make adjustments in it for you. The Amish make some fairly nice and inexpensive harness but make sure that the leather has been "worked" (it's soft and pliable). Sometimes they use heavy leather (or if you get something from Mexico) that is stiff and difficult to work with. It chaffes the horse.

As for , lucky seven, don't count yourself out in obstacle. There is halter obstacle and driving obstacle and in AMHR there is NO jumping or running in obstacle. I was in my 60s when I started halter obstacle with my filly (year old) and by the end of her third year she had made enough points for Hall of Fame. She now does driving obstacle (and more).

I just turned 61, not sure I could keep up for a whole routine. My boy's legs are alot younger than mine
default_yes.gif

I show locally in an easy entry cart with a couple of horses, one horse has a fancier wood cart but she the only one that fits that cart.

Katie, you should look into the Carolina Carriage Club, we have a large collection of minis of all types in our group, we do some stuff in Laurens,SC as well as the Tryon/Columbus, Nc area. easy entry carts are welcome and the people are friendly.

Karen

Latest posts

Back