Shetland Pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyelle

Reaction score
Hi

I am always so amazed to see all of your beautiful, sleek and rather refined shetlands here. As before I came here the only ones I thought even existed were the cheeky, little, stocky, round bellied and cute wooly little beggers like my little fellow Ty. Are these gorgeous refined types American shetlands? do they have the same origins as the chunky shetlands?

Anyways please forgive my lack of knowledge on this
default_rolleyes.gif
:

And here is little Ty at 17 years of age he has been passed down to every child in my family and has recently been put back into work for my little brother
default_smile.png

ty1.jpg

ty.jpg

tyty.jpg

I love your Ty! He reminds me a lot of my mini Mercy (see link below). Mercy took many youth handlers through the ranks and even helped many to bring home their first blue ribbons.

I have two Modern American Shetlands... Intrepid has Hackney blood in her pedigree. They are quite refined and "hot"...Nefertiti more so than her mom. I am a newbie to the Moderns but had minis for years and have been riding and working with horses for... (yikes)... 37 years this summer.

The American Shetlands I know now tend to be very refined and not like the first Shetland I rode back in the 1970s... he took me through pine trees and was "cheeky" as well but I loved him a lot.

www.freewebs.com/mercysmom

Welcome!

Denise

Silversong Farm

go to www.shetlandminiature.com and it explains the different classes of shetland ponies. the class most resembling what you are talking about is the Classic Shetland pony which is related to the shetlands that came from the shetland isle

Hello,

I am in Shetland, all my lot were born here, they are indeed the original wooly devils.

Folk who have big horses under estimate Island bred Shetlands, they have more courage than any 17hh horse, more wit and brain and are far more loyal than a big horse.

Most of mine ride and drive, some are easy and any learner can ride or drive them, one or two are certainly not easy to drive and I wouldn't dream of letting a novice whip drive them.

norseman-kishies.jpg

This is our little stallion using his traditional klibber and Kishies to take feed to the others.

tandem-andy-whiff-6.jpg

This is us training for tandem

pairs-2.jpg

...and messing about in pairs.

andy-and-rda-cart.jpg

..and my wonderful, wonderful RDA pony. He does so much for folk with disabilities and genuinely seems to enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Ty is very handsome!

The US shetlands started out from the UK Shetland long time ago and have just been refined over time.

Some now have hackney blood in them.

I love the UK Shetlands and wish we had more over here.

Anyway..

Wally,, where did you get those baskets? I have been looking all over for ones for my mini but can't find any in the US.

Our neighbour makes them, the last ones he made for us were £50 each....I think, that's what springs to mind.

What a cuty!!He needs to come and visit me so I can hug him!!
default_wub.png
: :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back