Ron's horse harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you Myrna, it is a great challenge to find a good fitting mini collar (altho the ones with this harness might not be bad if they were the correct length...then again perhaps adjusting the length would make other issues more noticeable) I love the look of these collars but if they don't fit correctly they are useless for anything more than taking pictures. I refuse to allow these little guys to be asked to do any work with such poorly fitted equipment. In fairness to the company in question tho the poor fit sits squarely in my lap, if I had known more when I ordered them I would have gotten a more appropriate size.
default_wacko.png

happy appy, all harness makers' catalogs and websites explain how and where to measure your horse to get a correctly fitted harness, including collars, but that isn't always going to give you a collar that is truly comfortable for your mini. I know a lot of people who just add a pad under a too big collar and call it good. I guess with the small amount of work minis are expected to do most of the time people can get away with that, but they are so much happier in their jobs if they are comfortable and I don't like to think that a problem I'm having is equipment related.I know of one guy who admits that every real issue he's had with his pair has boiled down to an equipment issue. The horses where uncomfortable with some part of the equipment (most recently rein length) and it made them behave in undesirable ways.

I guess with the small amount of work minis are expected to do most of the time people can get away with that, but they are so much happier in their jobs if they are comfortable
Absolutely they are much happier working if their "clothes" fit!
default_yes.gif
It's just like asking someone to stand on a line at a factory in shoes that are too small! I doubt that person would be too productive and have a great attitude by the end of the day!

But I do have to say that compared to the big horses, minis are usually expected to do a whole lot more work. Granted, most of the minis can "take it", but big horses are not usually expected to pull their own weight around. The rule of thumb for big horses is no more than about 75% of their total weight. For a 1000 lb. horse, that's 750 lbs. With the average vehicle being 300-450 lbs., that leaves about 450-300 lbs. for driver and passengers and still be under 75%.

When's the last time you saw a mini pulling around only 75% of their 300 lb. weight? (Leia, you don't count, especially in Wisconsin where we like cheese!
default_laugh.png
) That's only 225 lbs. for vehicle and driver. If you have a 100 lb. cart, the driver can only be 125 lbs. (I used to be that size....
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Minis have to do A LOT of work!

Myrna

. If you have a 100 lb. cart, the driver can only be 125 lbs. (I used to be that size....
default_rolleyes.gif
)
Minis have to do A LOT of work!

Myrna
default_new_rofl.gif
I was once as well, hard to recall tho, back before I quit smoking, eons ago.

Point well made, I was more referring to how long the average driver here uses the horses (and how often altho IMO that just makes it worse)but you are right, I will not deny our minis are expected to be (and obviously are) capable of amazing feats of strength in comparison to full sized horses but to use your analogy, if you must stand on line in tight shoes, its less likely you will revolt if it is for 15 minutes or 1/2hour than if its for a whole day. Thus our horses often put up with something less than ideal because they are only out for a quick parade and then done for days or weeks.

I know a lot of people who just add a pad under a too big collar and call it good,
Ant that is pretty much what I did the couple of times I used it...but that was only in a parade...totally on level pavement; and I wouldn't ask one to do more like that.

This is exactly why I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE my "Super V" breastplate...the difference in freedom of movement leaves no comparison to either a full collar or straight breastplate.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back