Opinion & advice on leather hand holds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
I'd like to know your opinion first on using the leather hand holds for driving. I'm not in favor of using them but would like to hear others thoughts. I am specifically wondering if it would be a good idea for my 6 yr old granddaughter to use them?

Next I'd like to ask what you use if you use them. I've seen them where the reins just slip thru an open buckle (no tab in the buckle) and then the ones that have to have holes punched in the reins to fasten them. In your opnion do the ones that don't need holes in the reins work well or do they tend to slip?

The use of hand holds limits the ability of the driver to shorten or lengthen the reins as necessary.

We taught our (at the time) six yr. old son to drive without them, so I really don't think they are necessary. His hand position isn't any weaker than any other novice driver, in this photo below from his first little driving show.

IMG_2583.JPG

Last year (at 8), his hand position has developed into a much stronger position (I'd still like to see him tip his left hand a bit, but that is his vice. Every driver has at least one):

IMG_5783.JPG

They just need time on the box seat.

Myrna

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow, Myrna! That little guy is so handsome. You must be over the moon with him!
default_new_shocked.gif
Look at him, so earnest. I think his hands look great! Is that mom and dad in with him? Very nice family - what a lucky kid!

Thanks, Myrna. That was my opinion too but she has only driven on my lap until now (single seat cart) and now (different cart), I intend to sit next to her like your photos. I was just concerned about the safety factor. Your son's first picture looks much like she did last year in her first class so I'm guessing/hoping she'll be just fine.

I've never used them and am not sure I'd want to. With a very strong puller, in an arena, with a check so their headset never varies...maybe. Out on the trail where I need them to be able to stretch their toplines and put their heads down to pull up hills and such...no. If I have trouble gripping the reins I'll get good gloves or buy a set of reins with grips or pebbly surfacing.

Leia

I have used rein holds and there is a place for them. I've had a couple of students that learned to hold their hands steady and in position by starting first with the rein holds and then moving away from them. One was a very young boy who had a terrible time keeping hold of his lines. His horse was a perfect gentleman who stopped when things went badly, but surely you can see where this could have gone. And no, he was never in the cart alone. Putting on the rein holds temporarily allowed us to concentrate on other facets of driving because we were not always having to pick up dropped reins from the floor of the cart. The other driver was on the opposite end of the spectrum and dealing with issues of arthritis in her hands which made it impossible to wrap her fingers around the reins, and find a good neutral position. We started with a knot in the reins, but that was not very comfortable, so we went to hand holds which allow her to hold her reins firmly and move her hands back and forth to give or take. This lady is driving strictly for pleasure, but I've seen others in her circumstances drive quite successfully in competition with hand holds to ease the strain on their aging hands.

We did punch holes in the reins in three different positions so that we could have some "give", but the holds were securely fastened. There is no point in having them if they are sliding up and down the reins; kind of defeats the purpose.

I now have one pair of reins that have holds attached. Mostly they sit on the tack hook, but when carpal tunnel rears it's ugly head, I've been known to grab them off the hook for myself. Better to have a good hold on those little loops than to have your fingers go numb at an inopportune time.

Dorothy

Putting on the rein holds temporarily allowed us to concentrate on other facets of driving because we were not always having to pick up dropped reins from the floor of the cart.
That would drive me CRAZY!
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png
I don't work well with that kind of "inept-ness". Glad there are people out there that do!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back