OH WOW!!!!!! Mike McCabe Clinic hosted by Northeast Mini Club

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millstone Farm

Reaction score
The Northeast Miniature Horse Club hosted a 3-day driving clinic with Mike McCabe and all I can say is WOW!!!! It had to have been the best clinic I've ever attended (for big or small equines). Mike is a great, patient clinician and if you ever have an opportunity to attend one of his clinics, all I can say is GO!!!

The Slobody family of Sawmill River Farm in West Brookfield, Mass., graciously invited us to hold the clinic there. I've heard how gorgeous their farm is, yet was still blown away. Not a blade of grass is out of place and the horses have lush paddocks to play in.

The clinic was Mike's first one in the Northeast region. Judging by the response by those who attended, it won't be his last. We have him booked already for 2008, so if you were closed out this year, plan to attend next year's expanded clinic.

I took 2 very green horses on Sunday. We ended up working with just my stallion, Millstones All Revved Up. Rev has only been ground-driven for the last (maybe) month. Mike was able not only to introduce him to the cart, but actually sat in it and drove him!

I heard similar raves from everyone else who brought everything from "made" horses to horses even greener than Rev. Even the well-seasoned driving horses received a tune up!

All of us in the Northeast Miniature Horse Club want to thank Roger Slobody for inviting us to use the farm, Kristina Slobody for her assistance and photo skills (evidence of which will be posted here, I'm sure!), Mike McCabe for sharing his knowledge and skill in a down-to-earth, patient way that everyone was able to understand, and most importantly to Dru Crowell and Molly!!! Dru came to the Northeast Miniature Horse Club Board last year and proposed this clinic. She had such enthusiasm, that we couldn't say no to the idea. And are we glad agreed!!!

This past weekend's clinic was the second one we've offered in as many weeks. We strive to meet the needs of all of our members, while maintaining our mission of offering assistance to Miniature horses in need through our rescue program.

Thanks to all who attended!!!

I can't wait for our club's show on May 26-27 (it's an AMHR/AMHA weekend) -- the Northeast region's first full show of the season! And of course I'm already excited about next year's clinic!!!

For information about the Northeast Club's activities and shows, please visit our website at Northeast Miniature Horse Club

Jenifer Van Deinse

Millstone Farm

Isnt Mike just wonderful!?!!!????!
default_smile.png
:aktion033:

We went to his clinic last year at his training center and it was fabulous! We are actually going to his clinic this weekend at his training center, will be there both days for halter and driving. I'm so excited. I love how patient mike is and how he trains, i took allot away with me last year from his clinic. He sure has been busy this year with all these clinics!
default_smile.png
. I was hoping to take one of our horses for him to work with on saturday during his halter clinic but my blades died half way threw clipping Narko so prob wont be taking him. I'd rather be able to enjoy the clinic and barns then have to worry and keep an eye on one of my horses. Fun either way though! Hopefully a good turn out.

I will prob have pics fo post Sunday/Monday one of his clinic if your interested!

Glad you had fun, McCabe has some of the best clinics
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033:

Just curious, how was the turnout at your clinic?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to echo Jen's thanks to the Slobody family for hosting, and to Dru for putting this wonderful clinic together for the Northeast Miniature Horse Club. I have heard only rave reviews about the weekend and about Mike McCabe's incredible 'touch' with these horses.

Hopefully, next year we will be able to accomodate those of you who were unable to find a slot this past weekend.

Our club's 2007 season is certainly off to a grand start with our two very successful clinics. Hope to see many of you from the area at our shows on May 27 ( the AMHA part of the A/R weekend) and July 15. Class lists, show premiums and entry forms are available on the club web site www.northeastminis.org

See you in May. Be sure to bring those newly 'tuned' driving horses!

Cindy Moses, President

Northeast Miniature Horse Club

We have known and been friends of Mike and Barb's for many, many years, close to 30 now, I think.

I will be at the clinic with my driving horse.

Leeanna, please let them know if you are not bringing your horse as there were horses turned away.

I had not yet sent in the registration and fee for McCabe to work with Narko, i was planning to do so early this week as i wanted to make sure i could get him full body clipped with the blades we had before sending in the fee and papers to mccabe to take a horse (i sent in for my registration a while back however, thought i would wait and see before deciding to take a horse or not), turns out that is not happening since i didnt get him full body clipped, just partially
default_wacko.png
:. I had a feeling they would had already filled up, should have emailed mike and barb and asked before i attempted the clip.

See you saturday Sf
default_smile.png
. I will be in my LB shirt saturday so you cannot miss me, will say hi this time
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jen,

I will have the pictures for you ASAP....... We have a visitor from out of state at our farm so I should have them on here by Wednesday at the latest. Thank you for all of the compliments on our farm.

I also wanted to say Thank you to the Northeast Miniature Horse Club and to Dru for all of the time and effort that was put in to this clinic and for bringing Mike McCabe to New England. He helped me out with my driving horses(I thought that they were "finished" products) and he made them even better!!! Mike is AMAZING!!!!

OMG, just from the response I'm reading on this forum, I wish I had a driving horse!!

I have been at the Slobody's farm in the winter months and with pristine green paddocks/pastures and white fencing, I thought I was in a fairytail ! The Slobody's are gracious hosts and I'm not surprised the weekend with Mike turned out so productive for all who brought horses.

I also want to thank Dru for her organization for this wonderful weekend. Dru is also our Youth chair person and youth newletter editor. CONGRATUATES DRU on your weekend...
default_smile.png
Our club has some pretty great members who care for the Rescue of Miniature Horses. If you all missed the weekend before clinic with Peas Hill, you missed a great day.

We will be putting together another 'weekend' for next year as well. Check our website for details..

Tina, looking forward to those professional pictures..

Val Carroll

Show Committee

Hey Meadow-

I didn't have a driving horse until I heard about this clinic and decided I wanted to participate. So I started to break Rev. Now it's all I think about -- "when can I drive?!?!?!" "What new equipment should I buy?!?!?!"

I'm hooked! Just wait until I have to worry about ring attire for driving classes!!!!

Leeana- I don't have the info with me in my office about how many people participated. What I can tell you is the clinic was designed as a series of private, one-hour lessons. Mike hit the ground running Friday afternoon, taught all day Saturday beginning at 8 a.m., and finished up Sunday afternoon. He was booked solid and we had to turn a lot of people away because those slots were snatched up fast.

Now that we know there's a real demand for a driving clinic with a top clinician, we'll book Mike for a longer time so more people can take advantage of the clinic. And we hope to be able to have auditors next year, since many people wanted to participate that way, too.

Kristina, I can't wait to see your photos! You sure were busy on Sunday snapping away!

Jenifer

Millstone Farm

:aktion033: :aktion033: I can't believe I learned as much as I did as a spectator! I agree completely with both Jen and Kristina, Mike was GREAT! I'm already getting pumped for next year. Maybe I'll have a driving horse myself by then..I'll probably be trying the new tricks with Triple just to practice.

That little grey mare that someone brought, looked almost 100% better by the time she left, along with everyone else's horses. The tips were more than helpful. I don't have the time tonight to talk about everyone, though!

Sawmill River Farm was like a dream. The grass was green
default_smile.png
. (huge step up from our dirt!) I got the opportunity to stay all 3 days and loved it. It was an absolute blast, helping out with Lyric and their minis!

Jen---Rev was amazing, and honestly the greatest learning experience for the most of us. He's all my mom and I could talk about on the way out. You've got a real nice park horse there! :bgrin Glad you're excited about him, you should be.

Again, I say it sounds like I missed a great weekend. Sure do hope next year to audit along with others and maybe learn something.

I remember the last time I was at Sawmill River, Laurie had a horse driving (not sure I'm using the right terms) and I had the pleasure of getting in the cart and off we went. Luckily Michelle and Laurie were there because the horse knew I didn't know what I was doing!!

Jen, I can't wait to see Rev at the May Holiday Invitational.

Tina, where are those pictures??

Sue sounded like fun and I'm sorry I had to miss it. Maybe next year !!!!

I didn't start driving until I bought Copper and that was a year ago November. NOw it is one of my favorite things to do. I'm glad the event was a success.

Joyce

Sue sounded like fun and I'm sorry I had to miss it. Maybe next year !!!!

I didn't start driving until I bought Copper and that was a year ago November. NOw it is one of my favorite things to do. I'm glad the event was a success.

Joyce

Make sure you look at the photos Kristina posted on a separate thread!

Fantastic pics!

Latest posts

Back