New to minis and driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all--I am new to your forum as well as to minis and driving. My 8yr old daughter and I are getting our first mini quite soon. I have been doing lots of research but as I answer questions I seem to uncover more questions. I am looking for more feedback, different points of view, things I haven't considered, etc.

We will me showing on a fun/local level and pleasure driving. I've been told to get an easy entry cart. I love Meadowbrook carts. Can i show with a Meadowbrook or is it in my best interest to stick with an easy entry? We are also trailer shopping. How do you all transport your carts? We are only getting one mini and cart so I don't want a massive trailer.

Looking at harnesses too. Anybody use synthetic harnesses? Good idea or not?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading thoughts from folks with more experience.

Linda

Welcome to driving!

There are so many different carts now than when I first got into it. I have a Jerald Runabout, and I've been perfectly happy with it, but I have seen so many elegant carts on this forum, I'm not sure what I would do if I were buying now.

You'll find lots of topics if you search for harnesses and carts. I do not think most local shows are particular about cart types.

As for trailers, I chose a half top stock trailer. The front is covered for my horses and the back is open, so the shafts of my cart can stand up. I could have ordered it with closed sides, but chose the most open design, as my climate is hot. It is a generally useful trailer and perfect for my needs.

Welcome to minis and welcome to driving!

Is that your mini in your avatar? BEAUTIFUL!!

You are also in a state that has Amish population, so you have some access to different cart builders and harness makers - can get something in stock/off the shelf or completely custom.

Harness:

There are in-expensive bio/beta-thane harness and top of the line bio/beta-thane harness that is made for CDE/marathon competitions that is nearly indestructible. I have some that fall in between. I deal with an Amish harness company out of OH that makes harness and specializes in bio/beta. Bio is the shiny type and beta is the flat type and comes in different widths, lengths, weights. They even make a type now that has bubbles on it - great for hand holds! I have both inexpensive harness and have done upgrades that raise the quality of my harness. I can get stock/off the shelf and it fits most our our ponies/minis or I can get custom pieces in sizes to fit my guys. You can do a completely custom harness both thru the ones I have mentioned below or thru the company that I go thru. I have both pleasure harness and also work style with collar and hames in beta and bio. The bio - I don't want any more of it. It's pretty - like patent leather shoes. For everyday driving, it's not as durable and gets scratched up.

You can clean/shine all of it with Pledge furniture spray and they now have bio/beta cleaning/shining products. I LOVE that I leave it on my sweaty pony and wash it off while hosing off the pony. Or you can sling it over an outdoor fence, harness rack and wash it off that way.

Names of companies that have the bio/beta for competitions - Zilco (actual name of harness type), Ideal Harness (company that has different types), Country Carriages (amish made harness - not sure who), Chimacum Tack (Comfy Fit Harness), Black Horse (Comfy Fit Harness), Herrons Tack (carries Comfy Fit). Comfy Fit is made by Amish - not sure where.

Ozark Mtn Mini tack, Star Lake Tack & Prime Design are all Miniature Horse Tack companies that also carry pleasure type beta-thane harness - both beginner/everyday and show quality. They have online catalogs and print catalogs. Some say that the "saddle"/surcingles don't conform to the horse - but the higher quality harness is combined and has some leather on it and works every bit as nicely as a leather saddle/surcingle.

Carts:

There are several companies that have both show carts and also ez entry carts. A Meadowbrook is very pretty and great for showing on grass at a CDE/ADA shows, but can get way too heavy especially if you have small minis (I have different heights of Shetlands - some are w/I the mini B height sizes and I am a LARGE woman) on trails and in show arenas with dirt/sand footing.

The same Amish company that I purchase all my harness thru also has different types of carts with options - some would be both local show and even AMHR/ASPC show quality. When you get to the Regionals/Nationals everyone seems to use either Jerald or Graber type carts. A Silver Penny and Sunrise Pony Farm both have different types of carts that are built by Amish. Be careful with the stock EZ entries that have the light weight frames and bike wheels - they will fold up with any kind of torque while pleasure, show and training driving...

There are a lot of choices out there. Yes, you can use a bio/betathane harness and ez entry cart at locals shows... There are many other companies that have carts, wagons and harness. I wish my Links page was working on our website - I have over 50 harness/carriage links on it!

I have transported carts a variety of ways. I have carts of different sizes and types.

I have hauled in the back of our horse trailer with the tongue (larger farm/work cart) sticking out between top of door and roof of trailer, cart in the back of the truck w/ shafts over the cab (longer cart/shafts - shafts padded where it's in contact w/ truck cab), shafts over the tailgate of the truck (shorter cart/shafts - won't come into contact w/ trailer).

If you want to stick with a 2 horse bumper pull trailer, you can also get a rack made that attaches to the back of the trailer. Various configurations. You could also build an "H" type rack that sits in the holes on the bed of your truck and the shafts then sit on that rack. I've seen the rack with carpet wrapped around the H part where the shafts sit. Some trailers are tall enough to also have a way to put the carts above the horse... I've seen pics of that configuration.

Also, some ez entry style carts w/ metal shafts just have a simple screw attachment and you can remove the shafts and put them on the bed of your truck or floor of your trailer.

My new trailer is a stock type - I can put multiple, smaller carts in the back and put up to 6 40" shetlands in the front compartment. More if I want to haul smaller minis, less if I haul some larger ponies. I generally haul my wagon now in the back with up to 8 work style harness/collars/bridles in the back rather than single carts.

Thanks everybody! This is great information! I hadn't thought of cart weight in heavier going areas. I think I'll stear away from a Meadowbrook since we'll driving in various areas.

Part of my problem living in Amish country with all these great carriage and harness makers is that I'm getting overwhelmed with choices lol. I don't do well with lots of choices, give me 2 or 3 and that's sufficient lol. I saw a really nice synthetic harness yesterday in person and really liked it. It seemed quite flexible and well made.

We do need a bumper pull style trailer. We went to a trailer dealer yesterday with a great reputation to look at trailers. Sadly, we did not get to see that good reputation side of things. Long story short, we left after waiting 30 minutes for a sale rep. We do have some other places to check out though. Ah, so many decisions.

Yes, that is our mini in my pic, Miekko. Photo not by me but used with permission. We should have Meikko here in the next week or two, just trying to arrange transportation since I don't have a trailer just yet.

Thanks again everybody! This is great info, exactly what I was looking for!

Linda

Latest posts

Back