Marathon Shafts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Reaction score
I have a new gelding who is just a touch under 40". I plan to drive him with my 34" gelding as a pair for pleasure. I may also drive him as a single to my four wheel vehicle which means I will need to get my husband to make me some shafts for it.

The angle of draught of the 4 wheeler means that a neck collar is most appropriate for it...so I will need to design shafts around that. I was thinking marathon shafts, but then also had seen some shafts that were curved and angled downwards and yet some other shafts that were curved outward and away from the horse at the point they go through the tug loops.

Anyone got any feedback or photos of shaft set ups that may work for my needs? I have only ever used a very simple straight shaft on my Silver Penny Farm Cart and have no experience with any other sort or harness set up to accommodate them. Also, this may be a stoooopid question, but would a sliding backband really be necessary for putting a pony to a 4 wheel vehicle as theoretically there is no weight in the shafts?

I will attach a pic of the 4 wheel vehicle I am talking about. The pair pictured are my 34" gelding and a 36" mare that I have recently sold.

efef.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

I think any of your shaft options would be great. I would opt for marathon shafts only if you have the quick release tug loops. The shaft that curve down or out are called gig shafts, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure how appropriate they would be on a carriage (not cart) for showing. Maybe you can find a photo album online from a show near you, to check out what is used. My understanding is that a sliding back band is only used on a cart, not on a carriage. And I still LOVE the carriage your husband built!

http://www.mischka.pics/Equines/Driving-Horses/061414-Columbus-Carriage/

This is a photo album from last weekend's carriage classic in Wisconsin. Lots of lovely vehicles! I did a quick scan; most single horses put to a four wheel carriage have straight shafts. However, these are mostly antique/ antique style vehicles.

http://www.mischka.pics/Equines/Driving-Horses/071914-Hickory-Knoll-Saturday/

This album is from cones at a recent CDE, more marathon style vehicles in presentation dress. I'm not sure if any of this is helpful, but there sure are a lot of gorgeous turnouts to enjoy!

Thanks a million! Ahah, gig shafts! I am pleased I now know what they are called as it saves me trying to vaguely describe them, I am doubly pleased you could work out what I meant ;)

Ooo carriage driving photos, now there is something I will get excited to look at even when I am not scoping out their shaft choices. Thanks for the links.

I feel confident now that I can make my pairs harness work as a single. My single harness is just not going to fit this new guy as I bought it for my 34" guy. I made it fit the 36" mare, but only just. When I ordered a pairs harness I sized the 36" harness up in quite a few ways, so I think with minimal extra purchases (tug loops, maybe longer backband) I can make that bigger harness work for me. I just didn't know about needing a siding backband, I couldn't see how it would benefit...but ya never know. Thanks for solving that conundrum for me Peggy!

Latest posts

Back