If you are searching for a new dog food

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minih

Reaction score
I copied this over from a boxer forum I am a member of and thought it might be helpful for those of you switching foods for your dog or just wanting to change your food. I posted last week that my pup has been having hives and we finally narrowed it down to her dog food, which the first ingredient was ground yellow corn. I am not sure if that is the ingredient she is allergic to but assumed so and switched her to another food with meat as the first two ingredients. After researching dog foods this past week I had no idea some of the stuff that is in them. I hope this isn't against the rules posting this from another forum, it was very helpful in my search.

Came across this and thought I would pass it along........Not all foods have been graded, but you can do your own dogs food if it's not on the list.

Interesting... especially the grade given to Costco's Brand of food (Kirkland's)!

How to grade your dog's food:

Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product"

, subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat,

meal

or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethox yquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first

five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewerâs rice", "rice

flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2

meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is

allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isnât allergic

to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isnât allergic

to

beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist,

add

5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If t! he food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the

first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein

source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are

pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A 86-93 = B 78-85 = C 70-77 = D >70 = F

Dog Food scores:

Alpo Prime Cuts / Score 81 C

Artemis Large/Medium Breed Puppy / Score 114 A+

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Authority Harvest Baked Less Active / Score 93 B

Beowulf Back to Basics / Score 101 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Blackwood 3000 Lamb and Rice / Score 83 C

Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice / Score 106 A+

Burns Chicken and Brown Rice / Score 107 A+

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Diamond Performance / Score 85 C

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice / Score 106 A+

Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

EaglePack Holistic / Score 102 A+

Eukanuba Adult / Score 81 C

Eukanuba Puppy / Score 79 C

Flint River Senior / Score 101 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 B

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+

Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Innova Large Breed Puppy / Score 122 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Member's Mark Chicken and Rice / Score 84 C

Merrick Wilderness Blend / Score 127 A+

Nature's Recipe / Score 100 A

Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin Venison and Rice / Score 116 A+

Nature's Variety Raw Instinct / Score 122 A+

Nutra Nuggets Super Premium Lamb Meal and Rice / Score 81 C

Nutrience Junior Medium Breed Puppy / Score 101 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Max Adult / Score 93 B

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice / Score 98 A

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Wheat Free / Score 86 B

Nutro Natural Choice Senior / Score 95 A

Nutro Ultra Adult / Score 104 A+

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

Premium Edge Chicken, Rice and Vegetables Adult Dry / Score 109 A+

Pro Nature Puppy / Score 80 C

Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach / Score 94 A

Purina Benful / Score 17 F

Purina Dog / Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Purina One Large Breed Puppy / Score 62 F

Royal Canin Boxer / Score 103 A+

Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F

Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Solid Gold / Score 99 A

Summit / Score 99 A

Timberwolf Organics Wild & Natural Dry / Score 120 A+

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

I had seen this before, I was happy to see the food I feed is scored 97....do not know how accurate their scoring system is though.

Well this list is only a helpful tool in letting you know what is in your dog food, if your dog is allergic, an A food with the number 1 ingredient is the thing your dog is allergic to it really is an F for your dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed Natures Recipe and Wellness, love them both and would feed Wellness exclusively except for the price. I get it when Petco has a special on it, otherwise its Natures Recipe. And just FYI, Natures Recipe is made by the Del Monte company, yes the same company known for canned fruits and veggies.

Thanks for sharing that Terri.

I stress over kibble all the time.

I finally settled on Merrick products about 18 months ago and am

very happy with it for our near 3 year old German Shepherd.

He's a picky eater and likes this fine.

I do like the idea of switching varieties but haven't gotten brave enough

to switch brands so just switch within the Merrick Group.

Nice to know there are some other well rated feeds, using that scoring

method, should Chevy decided he doesn't want to be a Merrick boy anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just amazed I have not paid more attention to my dog's food. I always feed home cooked chicken, rice and vegetables for one meal a day and leave dry out for them free choice. Always had good luck with Purina foods and chose the Beneful. I had no idea what all was in some of these dog foods. It is a wonder some dogs have any hair left on them after feeding them some of the stuff they are eating.

It isn't that I don't know the importance of a good feed, I worry over my horses all the time and see the results of a good food program. I was blindly following a feed company, which is not like me. I am just upset with myself for not paying more attention. Well not anymore.

minih,

this is a website that rates MANY dog food brands. It think it rates them on a similar scale as you have posted.

Dog Food Analysis

What I like about that site is it explains what the researchers LIKE in the food and WHY, and what they DON'T LIKE and WHY.

It is definitely an eye opener...and while one thing works awesome for one person/dog/lifestyle, it does not work well for the next.

I have fed Moxie Nature's Variety Prairie Brand for MANY years and raised the puppies on it. It works well for me. I have started more recently to switch foods around, so they don't get bored with it. I also feed Merrick's Wilderness Blend or Turducken, with great results. I tried Canidae a few years ago, and it didn't work for Moxie (though my sister feeds her Rotti it and loves it). More recently I tried Fromm. It is a very good food, but I didn't like it for my dogs.

~kathryn

We had been feeding Nutro Natural Choice for years but switched a few months ago to the Kirkland food and the dogs LOVE it, it's good for them, and it's significantly less expensive (about 1/2 the price) -- so talk about a win/win
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

After doing my research, we started Angel on Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice. It is not the highest rating but right up there above 100, and I can pick it up at Tractor Supply which is someplace I go to frequently not causing a problem getting the food when I need it. Right now since switching her (yesterday) she has a loose stool from the change and should go away in a day or two. She loves the taste since she scarfs in down in a hurry. I have not been able to leave it out as a free feed yet because of that. The first item on the ingredient bag is chicken. I think it does have few more grains, but better for her 8 month old stomach and growing body for now. After she gets older they also have a feed called Blue Buffalo Wilderness that rights right at the top, but with all the protein would be too much for now. That is if her system takes to it alright.

After a discussion here about dog foods awhile back, I went to the 'dog food analysis' site, read up--also began reading the labels of all the dog foods in the grocery store-was amazed at how even the 'best' and most pricey started their ingredient list with some form of CORN!! I'll admit, I had no idea of how 'sorry' the formula of most of them are, even the ones touted to be 'above the pack'. I have switched to Blue Buffalo; I use the lamb and rice. I know it isn't the 'very' best, but it is the best I can afford(and it has stretched my limited resources to make this change, but I wanted the best I could manage for my dogs--I love them deeply! )I do feel I can tell a difference---all three of my dogs are aged--10,11, and 12 years old. The Ridgeback previously had SERIOUS gassiness; with the Blue Buff. and a couple of dollops of plain yogurt over it AM and PM, she is much improved, seems livelier and more active for a 'senior citizen' large breed dog. She drops less poop, and it is pretty consistently of 'proper' texture and volume. She is on a modest glucosamine/chrondroitin supplement, which helps w/ her getting up and down.

My two toy breeds seem also to show a bit more 'liveliness', feel well, and based on the poop I pick up weekly from the yard, there is less of it, but a more consistent texture(seldom a loosey-goosey!) I do have to be sure to 'buy ahead' at Petsmart when I am in Albuquerque. (NO Tractor Supply here...)

Margo

Thanks, it is good to hear from someone who feeds this food also. I do hope we have good results with it.

Well, it makes me feel like a good doggie-mom to have all three foods my dogs eat, high on the list.
default_smile.png
My big boy gets Canidae (for all life stages) and Taste of the Wild, and my Min Pin puppy gets Chicken Soup (puppy) with top dressings of the big dog's foods as an extra treat a couple times a week.

I also make home-made soups for them, usually chicken, hamburger or lamb, with rice or barley and garlic.

Feeding pets isn't the easy "scraps off the table" kind of feeding that I remember when I was a kid.
default_rolleyes.gif
But my dogs DO get carefully regulated table scraps as treats in their bowls on occation.

A side not .....something I discovered this week and really had not known. ( Been doing a lot of research these past couple of years on dog food, especially since the scare.) Zea mays is an ingredient sometimes used in some dog food kibble. Just found out it is corn. So if you have an alergic dog....read, read, read the labels...and if you're not sure what an ingredient is....research, research, research. Thought I'd share that bit of info.

Thanks Sterling, good information to know! Since it is the corn (I think) that broke Angel out so bad, I will need to check all treats and everything.

A side not .....something I discovered this week and really had not known. ( Been doing a lot of research these past couple of years on dog food, especially since the scare.) Zea mays is an ingredient sometimes used in some dog food kibble. Just found out it is corn. So if you have an alergic dog....read, read, read the labels...and if you're not sure what an ingredient is....research, research, research. Thought I'd share that bit of info.
Oh, that's sneaky... How many people know: Zea Mays is the scientific name for corn.

Latest posts

Back