Does anyone know how they figure transport costs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joylee123

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know the formula shippers use to figure transport costs?? Do they just use fuel mileage and a flat rate? Is the fuel costs divided between the horses on board? or individually? I am having a stallion shipped from MN to CO and was quoted 650.00 for 1231 miles (sorry not a math whiz
wacko.gif
)

I would really appreciate any info.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Joy

I really don't know how they figure it. I had a buyer ship 3 Shetlands in one box stall from MN to Utah for $650 this time last year. She had got a lot of quotes that were much higher but she told each shipper what the others had given for quotes and they competed for her business.

Lewella said:
I really don't know how they figure it.  I had a buyer ship 3 Shetlands in one box stall from MN to Utah for $650 this time last year.  She had got a lot of quotes that were much higher but she told each shipper what the others had given for quotes and they competed for her business.
534188[/snapback]

Thanks Lewella! guess it all depends on how much they need the business!
rolleyes.gif

One of the ladies on the Mini horse form told me they usually charge between 50-53 cents per loaded mile( maybe per
wacko.gif
stall?)

Happy New Year to you!

Joy

It's normally a per mile charge....but with multiple horses traveling from the same location and going to the same location, the transporter will discount their normal price.

It's good to call different transporters and get quotes because they're per mileage charges can vary.

MA

Latest posts

Back