colostrum question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsegal5

Reaction score
Hi, my mare just foaled about 3:00 this morning, and he is a very tall leggy colt, and he's having a hard time finding the nipples, he has nursed a little bit 3 times now. I forgot what the window for time is for making sure he has enough colostrum. I really don't want to strip the mare and syringe it to him because she doesn't want me near him. If I touch him she goes back and nips at him.... But I want to make sure he gets enough.

Good morning and congradulations!

You have time yet. I believe the window is 8 hrs. If he is nursing now he should continue for you. Also watch for meconium as well. He will need to poop within 12 hrs? Just make sure he is really nursing. Her nipples will become flat looking when he does. Milk is a natural laxative and when they nurse they should poop for you.

Good luck!

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you got someone to help you??

If so have the other person halter the mare and just stand quietly with her- you need to be gentle but very firm.

You need to stand with the foal and guide him in, if you think he is nursing put your hand gently on his neck, underneath, and if all is well you will feel him swallowing. If this is all happening I would leave (take the halter off the mare!!) and watch them from a way off, since the mare is a little over protective.

Is this her first foal??

You can have the Vet do an IGG test on the foal to make sure the immunity levels are OK if you are concerned.

Congratulations on your baby- it is natural to worry but, most of the time, all is well.

Enjoy!!
default_yes.gif
:

Some feel that the first 6 hours are crucial and others say 12 hours.

A vet will do an IGG test when the foal is about 12 hours old which will tell you volumes.

If you are at all concerned about how much colostrum he's getting, I would also have a second person help and milk the mare. I would also have an IGG test done. We just went through this problem yesterday!

MA

Latest posts

Back