Photo

Yearling colt with bloated/hay belly......

5 replies to this topic

#1 Lil' Horse Lover

Lil' Horse Lover

Totally Addicted

• Youth Member
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:I love my minis! I have two geldings named Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus ("Ruckus") and "Spirit". And one filly named "Sunny".

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

I have a yearling colt that appears to have a hay belly. He gets about half a flake of alfalfa/grass mix twice a day. Its not really very stocky at all and is really good as far as nutrition and quality. Its 70% grass and 30% alfalfa. Some of it can be fairly stocky but I try not to give that stuff to him. He isn't getting any grain as of now, do you think I should get him on some??? If so what kind would be best?? Should I add anything to it??? I have some mare and foal grain, would that be good??? He is about 31.5-32" tall. Should I switch him over to grass hay??? Or is he fine on the grass/alfalfa mix with some foal grain?? He isn't fat at all he just has a hay/bloated belly. I attached a couple of recent photos of him but you can't really tell how big of a belly he really has, it sorta gives you a picture of what I am talking about, he is the pinto. I also have a 15 year old stallion with the same type of belly. He gets exaclty the same hay and amount. Should I change his feed in any way??? I also attached a photo of him, he is the silver dapple. Any info. will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

In Loving memory of "Potentos Smoke" a.k.a "Smokie" ~Black~29" (died at 10 months old) 2/14/05-12/23/05.
Spirit~Chesnut pinto~27"(4 yr. old gelding)
Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus~Chestnut pinto~28"(3 yr. gelding)
Sunny~Palomino~35.5" (2 yr. old filly)

ThreeMinute Boogie~Dun QH~(28 yr. old rescue gelding)
Leos Flaxen Red~Sorrel w/flaxen mane/tail Paint (solid)~ (5 yr. old gelding)

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Frankie

Frankie

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Tennis, and my 4 Grandsons and 1 Granddaughter!

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

Has he been wormed on a regular schedule?
He is missing a lot of nutrients by not giving him grain, so yes, I think he should have some. Has he never had grain?
I use Platform Mare and foal. My weanling gets almost the amount of hay you are giving, PLUS pretty much all the grain he wants. I keep track and he is eating about 5 cups on the a.m. and 5 cups in the p.m. He does not have that belly, is filling out nicely.
I believe it will brighten up your colt as well, giving them more energy and making them feel better.
If he has never had grain, I would start him slow the first few days. I think you will see improvement in a short amount of time.
Good luck.

CAROLYN

Email me

BUCKEYE'S WCF QUEEN OF HEARTS
CMHR Miss Tennessee "Misty"

#3 Lil' Horse Lover

Lil' Horse Lover

Totally Addicted

• Youth Member
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:I love my minis! I have two geldings named Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus ("Ruckus") and "Spirit". And one filly named "Sunny".

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(Frankie @ Sep 24 2006, 07:32 PM)  

Has he been wormed on a regular schedule?
He is missing a lot of nutrients by not giving him grain, so yes, I think he should have some. Has he never had grain?
I use Platform Mare and foal. My weanling gets almost the amount of hay you are giving, PLUS pretty much all the grain he wants. I keep track and he is eating about 5 cups on the a.m. and 5 cups in the p.m. He does not have that belly, is filling out nicely.
I believe it will brighten up your colt as well, giving them more energy and making them feel better.
If he has never had grain, I would start him slow the first few days. I think you will see improvement in a short amount of time.
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Yes he was on grain until about a couple of months ago, he was also wormed around then. I'll get him wormed and I will start him on it slowly and work him up. So should I give him as much as he wants once he is totally used to it??? Thanks for the input!!!
In Loving memory of "Potentos Smoke" a.k.a "Smokie" ~Black~29" (died at 10 months old) 2/14/05-12/23/05.
Spirit~Chesnut pinto~27"(4 yr. old gelding)
Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus~Chestnut pinto~28"(3 yr. gelding)
Sunny~Palomino~35.5" (2 yr. old filly)

ThreeMinute Boogie~Dun QH~(28 yr. old rescue gelding)
Leos Flaxen Red~Sorrel w/flaxen mane/tail Paint (solid)~ (5 yr. old gelding)

#4 Guest_kaykay_*

Guest_kaykay_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

Hes so cute smile.gif I would get him on a good foal grain and up his hay. A half a flake 2x per day is not much for a growing colt. Some grains can be fed free choice and some cant. be sure and read the label. If he was mine i would leave him on the alfalfa/grass mix hay and add the grain. But you will get many different opinions on that smile.gif

#5 HGFarm

HGFarm

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

There was an article a while back in MHWand our vet (who raised Minis for years) confirmed that Minis need more protein than the big cousins. A pot belly can be a sign of not enough protein. Also I would check worming schedule and with what type of wormer.

Laurie
Heather Glen Farm
AMHA and AMHR Miniature Appaloosas
Grays Smoke Signal
Great grandsire to many World Champions and Top Tens

DRK Spotanious Combustion
2010 black fewspot stallion

Heather Glens Masterpiece

Bay with blanket and spots

#6 Sue_C.

Sue_C.

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts
  • Interests:DRIVING my minis, and going for nice long walks with my best buddy, Baillie...my min pin...dog of my life.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

A pot belly can be a sign of not enough protein.

Exactly so! I had been feeding my bunch, Barley/oats/corn, but had my Vet out to draw blood on a couple of yearlings because they just weren't thriving, and looked potty. The only thing that he could find, was theat their protein levels were down some. Since then, I have had a lot of luck with my Purina sweetina, Omelene 200 and 300. No more pot-bellied babies, and the mares, stallion and geldings are in perfect flesh.
"God forbid I should go to any Heaven in which there are no Horses"

Crocker's Critters Miniature Horses

Nova Scotia, Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users